1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scale rally beetle from scratch

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by RZC, Oct 26, 2017.

1. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

Only an idea but I would like to make a hard body beetle, thinking of using tamiya sand scorcher body and Rc4wd wheels and tires 1.55", and rc4wd leaf springs and dampers with boots, but in the end I want it to look like a rally beetle or beetle from the Baja 1000. I need to find a chassis hopefully with full independent suspension and maybe be a bathtub chassis, but trying to stay open to ideas, I was looking at tamiya so other vehicles but look to have almost no room and 1/10th scale short course vehicles are to big, so I measured my 1/16 slash and that seemed to have a perfect bumper to bumper size of around 13" which is about the size of the body. I don't currently have any parts at all or the money, so I'll have to save for awhile, I think this might my biggest and most likely last "project" so I want to go open budget and spend less than 450 on the whole thing. But in then end I want something that can go fast and slow if needed and look almost exactly like a pre-1980's beetle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sweet rc, Monkeypiarat and Antho11 like this.
  2. ralf226991

ralf226991 Member

Good luck to you keep us informed and let's see some pictures

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

3. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

Like I said no parts yet. At all and a chance it may never happen, I've never actually been able to pull through with approve the, either because I didn't have the money or it just never happened.

4. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

But I am definitely open to most suggestions and hope this will be the one I pull through with.

5. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

tamiya sand scorcher kit is the best start for what you want

Antho11 and Monkeypiarat like this.
  6. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

walter likes this.
  7. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

As Walter said the Sand Scorcher is the closest you can get to a scale beetle, thrailing link suspension and all. I kind of drool over it but so far the cool head has prevailed, so I can only hand down second-hand experience. I hear that it's a rather heavy, lots-of-metal vintage job that's rather sluggish compared to modern RCs. However, this is part of the attraction of a vintage car.
    If you want to go for a modern Chassis underneath a vintage body, I' look for something with the fitting wheelbase and overall width. It's worth checking in at Kamtec.co.uk, they have a wide range of VW Bodies (although vacformed) for different chassis.

Antho11 likes this.
  8. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    i agree, but the sand scorcher is a little pricey, couldn't he also buy a frog and mount a monster beetle body on it since they use the same chassis, i'm not sure since I don't own either one, if he's looking to do it on a tight budget that may be the way to go.

9. Seamus_RBNW

Seamus_RBNW RudeBoyz NorthWest
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    https://www.rcsparks.com/forum/threads/a-new-class-1-for-seamus-cc-01-beetle-bailey-img-hvy.42969/

The bodyset for the Sand scorcher is not that expensive, this link shows me basically doing the same thing using the CC-01 chassis.... I have hit some health snags so I haven't updated it recently but it is fairly easy to build anything you want, as long as you put your mind to it....

do a ton of research, and whatever you do decide on, make sure the track width is not too wide or narrow, make sure the wheelbase matches the bodyset... after that, fab up some mounts and let us see!

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  10. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

The frog and sand scorcher are not the same chassis, the only thing thats the same is the wheels

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  11. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

The monster beetle is standing on a hopped-up frog-chassis. So the wheelbases should be the same and the beetle body should fit the frog. However, considering the absurd piece of machinery that he monster beetle is, I wouldn't bet that the wheelbase of its body has anything to do with the wheelbase of its chassis.

walter likes this.
  12. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

the wheelbases is the same but the front bumper mount is in the way of the nose of the beetle body . the bumper mount is also part of the front suspension and can not be shortened. to use rc4wd 155 wheels on front will be hard to do on anything other then a modern chassis,

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  13. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

I have looked at almost all of those and I'm pretty sure the sand scorcher body and and monster beetle body are the same thing just different colors and stickers, also the 1/16 slash is the same length bumper to bumper as the sand scorcher body: 13" not sure on the wheel base, was hoping for 4wd but haven't found any chassis with full independent suspension and no solid axles, with 4wd, I'm thinking on fabbing up links for independent suspension for leaf springs, and dampers. Now that I look at the size of the sand scorcher body I may have to rethink the 1.55" in tires as they may be to small, I'd appreciate somebody else's opinion on the idea.

14. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    i'm sure you realized this already, but I was referring to the frog and monster beetle chassis not the sand scorcher chassis, and I wasn't sure if it was possible or not to use the frog chassis with the beetle body, or mix and match parts from the different variations of that chassis that would allow the beetle body to fit.

15. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

OK, let's start a collection of possible candidates' measurements and see what fits best. I have a Tamiya Hummer chassis here, which is a potential fit.
    Its wheelbase is 280mm, and the rear axle is 173mm wide, measured at the outside of the hexes, and 213mm overall with a couple of wheels stolen from a Temper. The wheelbase can be meddled with fairly easily by replacing the tub with two aluminium sheet parts and four columns.
    I'm still looking for a body for it and the Sand Scorcher would definitely be a hot option.
    What wheelbase and width are we looking for?

16. Seamus_RBNW

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    to see 1.55 rc4wd wheels and tires under the body you re talking about, click the link I put up before... that is exactly the size tires I run on my Scale Beetle... anything larger at all and you begin to run into fitment issues under the fenderwells.....

sweet rc and Monkeypiarat like this.
  17. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

@RZC
    it seems to me that the wheel base and width you seek ...
    will need a starting point ..
    after you make your first choices from your list of possible candidates ...
    then the it should more clear what is NEEDED rather than looked for...
    I think that you need to think about ,,,along with the wheelbase and width,,,
    other information can be used to help you decide where to start..
    try to think about your terrain that you will be running the beetle ...
    and that might help you decide on a chassis ..
    that will have its own specific needs for the build...
    your build options and needs will be determined by your body and chassis choice..
    I feel that before any components are chosen ...
    you have only few things that are needs that can be chosen from ,,,
    before your components choice ... that will endure to the end of the build...
    and the pre-choice items in my opinion ...
    are not so much the wheelbase and width but ...
    along with the needs for your terrain you run on ...
    you can think about exactly how durable the build needs to be ..
    also on a budget build is their a happy medium ,,,
    where the body meets the chassis...
    in order to save money and materials or just for the ease of the build...
    if the looks and appearance of your beetle build is the most important ...
    then I would choose a starting point ...
    closer to NOT modifying the body any more than absolutely necessary ..
    or at least closer to the end of your build ....
    I think that there are more build choices available ...
    in the width and wheel base ,,,
    than you have in the wheel wells and mounts of the body...
    example... the mounting of the body can sometimes accommodate ....
    moving the body forward or back to facilitate the shaving of the wheel wells,,
    front , back or both to accommodate the chosen tires...
    however I would hold off on the final tire choice ...
    till after you match the body to the chassis...
    I believe you will have more choices ...
    in the wheel base and width options to fit to your body ...
    than fitting the body to the chosen chassis...
    to name a few things that possible options of wheelbase and width ..
    that I have used in the past for hard body builds ...
    axel adaptors to extend the width of the axel ....
    sometimes the difference can be made up simply by the depth of the wheels...
    much like using the usually deeper wheels made for the rear on the front ....
    or front on the rear ....
    as for the wheel base ,,,short of chopping the chassis ...
    to either extend or reduce the distance from front to back axel...
    will more than likely worked out before body fitting and tire choice...
    all while staying within budget....
    don't be afraid to make cereal box cardboard templates ....
    of any needed moc-ups ... even wheels , wheel wells ,body mounts ,,,
    and anything else that comes along ....
    I feel that you are asking all the right questions ...
    and can be looking forward to a build nothing short of simply amazing ...:)

#17 Monkeypiarat, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    sweet rc and Gromit like this.
  18. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

Anything that will look scale with full independents like the real Baja beetles, if you don't know what I'm talking about do a quick internet search, I was hoping to have the chassis kind of like a Plate underneath the whole body to look scale and my dad has a monster beetle body that I looked at and after looking at it compared to some 1.9"s I have decided that 1.55" is probably best, now I only know some of the bigger companies and don't know which smaller ones are good, or what kind of motor I need so I'm thinking first start with some sort of chassis with full independent, I know most 1/16 short course vehicles have about the length needed if not to short. But the only problem is suspension, I would like to mod some of rc4wd leaf springs onto the independents, but that really requires a bathtub type chassis, but that cuts space down to a short and I could trim the sides away and leave only the wheel wells which might work. But I haven't found any full independent suspension systems on tamiyas vehicles with the right chassis.

19. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

For running area and grounds I would like a 2-speed transmission and 4wd because it's gonna get wet, hit jumps, go fast and maybe drift, all in dirt and basically act like a rally vehicle or Baja beetle. It also may encounter hills and some tough terrain, so ground clearance while being scale but capable is a must, and the 2-speed should cover torque and speed but if I'm wrong please say.

20. Seamus_RBNW

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well, not a 2 spd, but again I will direct you to my thread about Bailey. ^^ link a few posts up

you could use a faster motor than I did, and your transmitter to get a nice throttle/ steering curve and get a jack of all trades, but this small a wheelbase is limiting in the *crawler* world... I believe I have come up with a solid rally/ crawler out of the CC-01... but I didn't want to drift it... I do know that the steering upgrade kits for the CC-01 will give it an insane turning radius to help with potential drifting. I also know you can leave the diffs open, or close them... this will affect how well your rig can do the various types of driving you want... I am using a very large, low kv brushless crawler motor but it is capable of running up to 4s, not that I will be doing it, but 3s.... awwwww yeah!!!
    That "high" wheelspeed is lost for drifting though, as I have both my diffs locked up.

I will be taking Bailey out on a trail run again soon, I will try to get some film... last time it came out poorly and I couldn't post it.

Let me know how your build/ planning is going, I'm excited to see someone else's take on the scale beetle concept :D

Antho11, walter and sweet rc like this.