1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCALE TRUCK

Discussion in 'Newbe Help' started by G-RACER5150, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Mark Liersch

Mark Liersch Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks man. Don't get too many chances to crow, and most people don't get it, but you guys do. So...

2. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Wait for the new Traxxas Scaler. That's what I would do... That's if you want a Scale Vehicle.

That is MHO.

I have
    SCX-10
    G-2
    TF-2
    GC-4
    CCR
    TH
    XXX SCB
    3 TA SC-10
    Kalahari
    Kamora
    XXX SG
    5 Boats
    2 Quads
    A couple of trailers
    Camper ect... Bob Loblaw
    I feel like I'm forgetting Something...

Oh ya a Partridge in a Pear Tree

If you have any questions about any of these rigs. I'd be happy to help you out.
    But realistically you need to decide what direction you want to go. There are many categories to RC'ing each type of RC has a purpose.

Dean

#22 RustyWrench, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Mark Liersch likes this.
  3. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That does sound like a solid plan... It does look pretty interesting. It's got my head tickilin' somewhat...lol

4. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    HPI also has a Scaler apparently coming out. Maybe the HPI is the way to go... Time will tell I guess...

Oh that's what I forgot... The Crawler King... lol.

Dean

Antho11 and Mark Liersch like this.
  5. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Yeah, HPI has the Venture on line, modelled after the Toyota FJ I think...been floating around as pics for the longest damn time...

6. buttm0nk3y

buttm0nk3y Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply that the SCX was only for the basher crowd. Just meant that it's a bit more forgiving and maybe a bit more capable in new hands.

Not sure what to think of the HPI. LOVE the body but it has 3 links on both ends and the motor is really high.
    The Traxxas looks cool. The portal axles have me all excited and it looks pretty solid.

I may just take the body from the HPI and the portals from the Traxxas and throw em on my Ascender LOL

darkside0914 and Mark Liersch like this.
  7. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That's what is so cool about this hobby... Nothing is sacred or inviolate. The best bloody rigs are usually frickin' Frankentrucks... A bit of this... A chunk of that... And next thing ya know... IT'S ALIVE !!!! I love it...

buttm0nk3y likes this.
  8. buttm0nk3y

buttm0nk3y Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    RedCat has a new 1/10 scaler coming out soon, too. Saw a tease render on their FB page.

Mark Liersch and darkside0914 like this.
  9. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I just saw that it looks good and for under $200 it'll be a good deal, just wonder what body they will use.

Mark Liersch likes this.
  10. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    If Scale is the Head reason for your reason for a scaler.. and capability is a second factor.. Then You cannot get more scale than a Tamiya Highlift..

The Tamiya Highlift used to be the envy of all scalers due to Tamiya's attention to detail.
    They are pretty capable but are easily out classed in offroad capability by a Gmade Komodo but scale looks they are pretty much the top of the tree.
    [​IMG]

The thing with choosing a trail truck is deciding on how and where your going to drive it.
    Accessibility to parts should play a key role in your choice

Every truck has a strength and a weakness.. If you like a challenge and want to keep the scale budget build as low as possible but the scale realism as high as possible look into a Tamiya CC-01 build.. They are beaten offroad by practically every other truck on the market but that is what makes owning one just that much more fun... A trail that is easily driven by an SCX10 is just so much more challenging with an RC that only has 1.55 size rims and tires.

[​IMG]

lout and Antho11 like this.
  11. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Almost got a HiLift. Looked beautiful. Great scale details. To the bottom of the doors. Then everything kinda goes big and clunky looking. That turned me away from it. Handed it back to the fella, went and got an SCX10 instead. The price of the HiLift is also "out of scale" for the truck in my opinion. I do agree with how amazing the CC01 trucks look though. Apparently there are upgrades to be had for them, but they just don't have the performance capabilities of a lot of the other rigs out there... Our trail systems are geared towards challenging 1.9 rigs, as well as 1.55 rigs, but the CC01 trucks just don't have the durability, or the performance to make it through them without breakage...

12. WildWayne

WildWayne New Member

Media:
    currently experimenting with the Komodo, decided it over the saw back because it had a 4 Link rather than leafs, and it's looks of course. Got the rtr 340us$ and free shipping so was I sold. Everything else is on back order.
    Hope to build a vaterra and axial of sort as well, watching medic vids has definitely got my gears turning!
    Love the lugs n the stock tires, as read elsewhere suspension is droopy in stock form, (not much room for compression sitting on level ground, but it flex quite nicely. Hope to get my lipo tomorrow, guess I need a charger for it too..