1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scale trucks. To crawl or not to crawl, that is the question!

Discussion in 'Scale Truck Chat' started by 10 Gauge, Apr 26, 2011.

1. 10 Gauge

10 Gauge <b>X-TreMe BaShEr! </b>
    ELiTE MEMBER

So I'm looking at picking up a Tamiya Ford Bronco scale kit. I am curious to know, as far as scale trucks go, is it more desirable to go with the non crawler kit, or go with the crawler kit? Obviously the crawler kit is much more capable of tackling rough terrain, but does it "kill" off some of the scale appearance and appeal?

Just curious. I really like the crawler version best!

2. Crawler Ted

Crawler Ted Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Sounds to me like you are looking at the CR-01 ,,cr-01 chassis - Google Search

And the CC-01 ,,cc-01 chassis - Google Search

2 completely different trucks .
    I have both ,,should say had ,just sold the cr-01 .

The CR-01 is a very capable trail truck and not a bad crawler either ,not comp grade but still capable .it is more of a 2.2 but can run 1.9 " tires /wheels .
    The CC-01 chassis is a bathtub chassis , not as capable but there are a few mods you can do to make it better .
    I have the Pajero on the CC-01 ,mine needs a little bit of lovin to get it back on the road .
    Although not as big and lacking the clearance of the CR-01 ,it's still a fun truck .

Anyway ,,both can have the scale appearance ,but it sounds like you want the ability of and maybe like the look of the CR-01 a little more .
    So I would say go for that one .
    Heck with it ,,get em both .
    I'll find some pics of my Pajero and post them and the CR pics .

3. 10 Gauge

ELiTE MEMBER

The reason I was more interested in the CR-01 is due to the fact that it looks like it has a much more capable suspension setup than the CC-01 for trail running.

Would love to see pix of yours. I am definitely still leaning towards the CR-01 I think.

I really like the F-350, that's right up my alley, however the suspension seems somewhat lacking for actual trail running. I watched a few vids, and it made it's way, but definitely looks like it struggled compared to a CR-01 setup.

4. Crawler Ted

ELiTE MEMBER

Sounds like you are sold on the CR-01 ,,lol

It actually runs a cantilever suspension system ,works well .
    Lots of people mod it ,lots leave it ,personal preference I think .

It is a fun truck ,I guess i'm wondering why the CR-01 instead of the Wraith ? or an SCX-10 ?

5. 10 Gauge

ELiTE MEMBER

Haven't even looked at them, don't even really know what's out there. Just knew that Tamiya made scale trucks so I checked out their site, lol. Scale has never interested me until this forum, didn't know there was such a big following. Making scaling vids looks fun too, I must admit. :)

6. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator
    Staff Member ADMiNiSTRAToR SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Yes, the CR01 is a fairly popular truck.. but is losing the battle against scale realism. IN fact - so much so - that the Tamiya CR01 isnt being allowed to run in this years Axle Twisters Top Truck Competition. The cantilever system, and the over sized body is not up to code for this year.

Hows that for an interesting spin on things. Axial has really clinched the front of the pack for scalers, next come Tamiya, and then Custom Jobs (IMO)

7. 10 Gauge

ELiTE MEMBER

Looks like I'll be checking Axials site, RIGHT NOW! :)

8. 10 Gauge

ELiTE MEMBER

#8 10 Gauge, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  9. 4mods

4mods Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

I like all the models mentioned but for overall durability and parts availability with more option parts coming out weekly it seems from various vendors all over the net. I would go that route, I think or felt like the last one to finally get a Honcho but having one now I would say it could crawl threw some comp lines I do with my crawler. The cr01 and CC01 just don't have that in them, they tend to roll over allot more. Both are awesome kits and I have had tons of fun running the two tamiyas mentioned but yeah. Go for a Axial!

10. Crawler Ted

ELiTE MEMBER

I am the last one to get a honcho dude ,,lol
    Still havent ,,RC4wd Trailfinder at the moment .
    I should get an SCX-10 ,thats why I sold my CR .
    I really like my Pajero ,the cc-01 chassis is a lot different for sure ,but still a fun truck in it's own way .

11. Ramstein

Ramstein Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I know Medic will agree with me and say Tekin. I would have to say if your building the honcho go with the tekin esc and 35t hand wound motor. Krazy Joe runs that in his rig and man that thing just fly's. He has tons of torque and when he needs the wheel speed he gets that just by hitting the throttle more.

My thoughts.