1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCX-10 based Scale Chevy Build

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by drzoo2, May 4, 2015.

1. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I'm starting a new thread to document my Class 2 SCX-10 based Chevy Silverado build. This truck.....(I hope) is to be entered into the RC4WD scale challenge in New Castle PA in August. I have the tickets. I have the accommodations. But, I currently do not have a completed truck.

This will be built from the ground up. I am not starting from a kit but rather piecing the parts together as I get further along. This whole project will be a learning experience as I have plans for a full metal cage, Styrene interior/dropbed, Water proof electronics and scale lighting. I need to meet 2015 Sorrca rules.

I sourced a used SCX-10 frame and Wraith transmission from my good buddy @Z0MB13 to start.
    [​IMG]

On another forum's sale thread, I found an old Chevy Silverado New Bright body for a fair price. I own a Silverado and wanted to build something similar. Since I can't afford to modify my own full size Chevy, the RC will have to fill in.
    [​IMG]

Originally I wanted to use Wraith AR60s and narrow them, but even taking an inch out of the length, they were still to long. I ended up sourcing some good used SCX-10 axles and rebuilt them with new stainless hardware, bearings, universals and knuckles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I added a VP Panhard and CMS kit and made my own link. Until I source some stainless tubing from work, most of the links will be all-thread. I did managed to find a scrap piece to test on the panhard link since this is the only piece that probably won't change in length.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I ordered the panhard setup, I also picked up a set of SSD Steel D Holes wheels. I'm not sure what tire I want to run atm. I need to be careful on size. I love the Rock Beasts but I think they may too large in diameter for this body. For now I mated them on a set of GMADE 1.9s. The went together awesome and I really love the look of these wheels. Quality and a really great price.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These stock SCX shocks SUCK. Remedied shortly though.....

Bluedually and lout like this.
  3. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Using all-thread and some RC4WD angled rod ends I mocked up the links and added an STRC rear 4 link truss. I am still waiting to cover the all-thread until I have the wheel base set up for the body. This won't happen until I get the bed cut up and finish mounting the cab and cage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    For the past few months I have been practicing doing tube work on my Wraith, building sliders, rear bumper and a stinger out of 1/4" aluminum rod. This past weekend I finally got to the point of starting the cage on this build. I picked up some 3/16 6061 rod from McMaster-Carr and started bending....

Fitting the rear part of the cage to the body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then molding the cage around the doors. This part took the longest. Test, bend and repeat.....for hours.
    I stole some scrap .125 pieces from work for the mounts. Thicker than I wanted to use, but free.
    [​IMG]

As it sits now...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a lot left to do to finish the cage, making braces and cleaning up the brazing and figuring out some sliders.

Bluedually, K9654, BignBlue and 6 others like this.
  5. OKCrawler

OKCrawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Awesome build so far Bud!! Im glad to see yet another Bowtie Fan on here!! I will be watchin your build come together!! Keep up tbe good work!!

Hbros likes this.
  6. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks! I'm really excited about this....but at the same time it's a bit stressfull. I am learning knew techniques as I go. Metal work, styrene, suspension geometery..ect. As a hobby rig, little imperfections are a learning experiance. Since this a comp truck....

Z0MBI3 likes this.
  7. Agent69

Agent69 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

This is gonna be an awesome rig

8. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    looking good.

9. BigTexan

BigTexan Member

Media:
    It's cool to see a Chevy SCX10 on here, keep it up it's going to be great.
    Where did you end up getting your all thread? I'm trying to source some 304 or 316 stainless for the all thread and tubes to cover them.

10. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The all-thread came from Home Depot but it's not stainless. The tubing I am using to cover it is. The tubing is just scrap stainless heavy wall I sourced from work.

11. BigTexan

BigTexan Member

Media:

Do the tubes need to be 1/4" ID or OD, the #8-32 thread is ~5/32 in Diameter so are you matching the Rod end size?

I guess the Zinc coated all thread will be fine too, I just wanted all Stainless Steel if I could source it.
    Does anyone fill up the tubes with anything to help strengthen them, like sand or a rubber material?
    I was also thinking of doing the tubes in Carbon Fiber instead, its about the same price as 316 SS.
    My dad is a welder so I'm going to see if he can weld me up a trailer in all SS, so I need a lot of pieces.
    It really needs to be Mig welded so if he can't get around to it then I'll just rivet it together.
    Sorry for the flood of questions, I just got my 1st SCX10 yesterday and am excited to customize it.

12. Cokedriver

Cokedriver Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    What is normally used is Revo 3.3 Ball ends with 8/32nd all-thread and 1/4" Brake line.

walter likes this.
  13. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Lookin good so far :). If you do a drop bed are you going to remount the speakers? :Grin:

Z0MBI3 likes this.
  14. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Um.....the speakers are history. Unless you want them for that Matzilla chassis? :)

15. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    True. The Revo ends thread up to 8/32 with no mods. I have a combo of both RC4WD ends and some Revo ends I had. The RC4WD ends measure 0.1 ID and I drilled them to 0.136 to fit.

I wanted something a bit heavier than brake line so I have access to some scrap Inconel tubing. I have to gun drill it a bit to fit the all-thread. It's a bitch to drill.

I measured the all-thread at 0.16 in diameter. I didn't have to fill anything because I drilled the tubing to the all-thread size but I had the same idea depending on what I used.

From left to right,
    RC4WD end drilled to 0.136
    Revo end
    Revo Rod
    8/32 all-thread
    Inconel tubing (unmolested)
    [​IMG]

Z0MBI3 and Cokedriver like this.
  16. BigTexan

BigTexan Member

Media:
    Thanks for the measurements and pic...and for letting me hijack the thread for a few days.
    I just tried out the #8-32 all thread on a 3/16" ID tube and it fit like a glove.
    I'll try and get the SS in that size, if not then I'll go with the 1/4" OD stuff.
    The only sizes at Lowes were 6" pieces of All thread/Tube and that would take a lot of them with a bunch of waste.

Z0MBI3 likes this.
  17. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Home Depot, at least in my area, carries 8/32 in 3' lengths

18. BigTexan

BigTexan Member

Media:
    I went to Lowes since it's closer, I'll try Home Depot tomorrow and see what they have. Were they in the drawers in the hardware dept. or somewhere else?

19. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    If it's similar to my store, it's in the hardware section all the way to the end of the isle. No drawer. They are standing in a rack with other material.

20. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Back to the build, small update.....

Did I mention that the stock SCX shocks suck? Leaky, stiff.....time to fix that....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All fixed.................................................. :aceofaxe:

K9654, lout and Z0MBI3 like this.