1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCX-10 based Scale Chevy Build

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by drzoo2, May 4, 2015.

1. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So another ECSC has come and gone. I did much better this year placing 18/52 entries. I had two good runs but I failed miserably on the easiest course which killed my score. I had to take a repair on the second course. I bound up my servo winch by wedging the truck into a rock. It stripped the grub screw out of the spool. Plenty of power! I just need to make it faster. I ended up drilling it out and tapping it for a 4mm grub.

Time to start thinking about the next round of improvements on this truck and a Class 2 rig for next year. If anyone is looking to make a comp in the PA area. This is the one to be at. Tons of great prizes and a lot of fun.

2. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well done! ... So do I see a 500oz savox servo winch in the near future then? :Grin:

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  3. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The solar servo I'm using is rated over 400. The issue was the servo winch pushed a 3mm grub screw out of the spool clamping it to the spindle, stripping it from all the torque. I'm running it at 6v out of the 7.2 it's rated for. More voltage should increase the speed....and torque.

Sent from my XT1575

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  4. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I never liked my tire carrier. It didn't look scale and I ended up breaking it when the truck rolled over. Time to fix it.....

[​IMG]

Now having my CNC router at my disposal, and currently snow covering the outside it's time to start some milling projects. I intentionally neglected it over the summer as to not be babysitting it while the weather was nice. The weather sucks today and I've had these plans on hold.

This is my first time cutting aluminum but I'm happy with the results.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To create a bend, I had to make two dies out of some scrap MDF. The truss piece wanted to kink when trying to bend it by hand at the hole locations. This was the first bending stage.

[​IMG]

And the second.... This is also where I made a small mistake on the width. I accidentally made overall width the same as the tubing it was mounting to vs. the middle diameter.
    [​IMG]

I decided to use it as is. Once the tire is mounted, it'll hide the mistake.

[​IMG]

I have yet to make a mounting tab for the front. I'll get pick of it installed once I get that finished.

#184 drzoo2, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Butcher, Bluedually, lout and 6 others like this.
  5. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

very nice

drzoo2 likes this.
  6. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That turned out really great! How do you like your CNC machine? I heard they can be a little finicky with aluminum.

7. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    It needs a bit of stiffening. There are some updates that address the rigidity. That said, they cut pretty clean with iso as a cutting fluid. Stiffening would allow me to increase the depth of cut reducing the cut time. If I go to deep I get a bit of chatter.

Sent from my XT1575

Z0MBI3 and Antho11 like this.
  8. Z0MBI3

Z0MBI3 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Looks great drz002!!!

drzoo2 likes this.
  9. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Z0MBI3, Monkeypiarat and lout like this.
  10. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That is very nice there. And it's not a mistake, it's a feature!!

drzoo2, Z0MBI3 and Monkeypiarat like this.
  11. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Had some time this afternoon so I drew up and cut a front foot. I also got it brazed onto the mount. I switched to a plumbing torch and the extra heat makes a world of difference in the quality of the braze. This is the best I have done by far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trying to reuse the original craptastic holes and not make new ones. At the same time I decided to push the tire forward a bit for looks.
    [​IMG]

All together. I think I might do some painting on it. I'll decide later as this body needs some love. It's gotten pretty scratched.

[​IMG]

Later this year I'm switching to SCX10II axles. I'm waiting for more aftermarket parts and options before I pull the trigger. This will also be coupled with a new servo and some cosmetic updates. The axles will be a big update because it will change the front geometry I spend so long getting right. Most likely needing new links and panhard setup.

Bluedually, CoolKD and lout like this.
  12. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Now that is a tyre carrier. Nice job with it :)

drzoo2 likes this.
  13. Bluedually

Bluedually Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Really awesome truck. Makes me wish my parts would get here faster so I can work on mine.

14. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thank you! I have some plans for upgrades over the next few months. I have been so busy at work I haven't had the time to get back at it over the winter. I'd like to install a set of SCX10II axles and still need to update the electronics.

15. Seldon_j

Seldon_j Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Umm excuse me sir... but I would like to know what size of new bright body is that and did the wheel base the right size for 12.3

16. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The wheel base is small at 11.5" with a width at about 8" I had to piece together my MIP drive shafts to keep the rear short enough. You would also have to make links to fit.

#196 drzoo2, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  17. Butcher

Butcher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ahh haha, thought your display name looked familiar. You're doing some incredible work on this truck. Can definitely see you got much better and more hi-tech tools than I

18. G-RACER5150

G-RACER5150 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Wow , you got skills. Well put together ride.

19. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Very much appreciated guys. This has been tremendous fun. And.....It's never really done. Always new goodies to tinker with as they come along....like SCX10II axles!

Sent from my XT1575

20. Butcher

Butcher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

How did you mount your body? I can't figure a good way to mount mine yet. Also, the windows, did you just cut them out then put a piece of clear in place?