1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCX-10 based Scale Chevy Build

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by drzoo2, May 4, 2015.

1. Z0MBI3

Z0MBI3 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

As soon as it warms up we gotta get out and trail ride drz002

drzoo2 likes this.
  2. Z0MBI3

ELiTE MEMBER

Some years past trail pics[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

3. Z0MBI3

ELiTE MEMBER

The truggly is ready[​IMG]

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Bluedually and drzoo2 like this.
  4. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well. The truggly is ready, but it looks like new axles have pushed me down the rebuild rabbit hole.

I have the new SCX2 style SSD axles finally mounted. I've spent a few days on the geometry to get everything there is out of them. No bump steer and articulation all the way to the shock bottoms while maintaining the wheelbase required for my Chevy body.

[​IMG]

You can see if you've been following previous in this thread, I removed the old SCX Vanquish panhard-CMS mount and put the steering servo where I had my winch located. This will find a new home later. I'm trying to make room for some cool goodies....tbd. new servo location ended up a perfect spot for the new axles.

Post 1 of the improved, more scale SCX Chevy

;)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

5. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    It's looking good! This project just gets better and better!

Z0MBI3 likes this.
  6. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Little update on where I'm heading with the rebuild. This is currently just a prototype to determine layout and to check for fitment issues. I have a few ideas that need to be hashed out for the rest of this to proceed.

First I designed a new crossbrace that droops a little lower than stock. This brace is only partially complete. It won't change completely but there are pieces missing. This was a good place to test. Only thing I found were the screw holes were a touch high.

[​IMG]

...and the entire reason for the new brace...

This is just the block portion but eventually this should look like an LS
    [​IMG]

7. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Since a lot of this is being 3D printed, I need a model for fitment. I've been working on this for a while and have it pretty much where I want things to layout. The heads, intake and valve covers came from Thingiverse but the rest of the model is mine.

I moved the tranny toward the front and rotated it for clearance. This required me to design a new motor plate. Without going to a "scale" transmission, and keep the gear ratio sane, the spur will have to stay. My plan is to cover this down the road when I get to building a firewall and motor bay.

[​IMG]

New motor plate I designed based on the model......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Z0MBI3, walter and Jonbass like this.
  8. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The motor plate is swapped 180 from the default location and clocked to position the motor directly to the front of the transmission. After tapping the holes in the plate, I added some ~5mm spacers and new screws to hold it together. Adjusting gear mesh is a bit tedious but not impossible. I also had to cut the output between the motor and tranny to clearance for the pinion.
    [​IMG]

I printed the tranny mount and put it into the chassis. I may pretty up the mounts so they are not such a sold block. All of this is done with PLA. I'm planning on reprinting all of this in ABS once I get it all together and happy with how things fit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far it all runs smooth with just the right amount of clearance. The model is almost perfect to the real build. Just a few small hole alignments that have been already corrected for the final prints.

Next up...... the tCase....... :)

9. ScaledIt

ScaledIt Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

hey man your good at this game, wish i had a 3d printer to play with

drzoo2 likes this.
  10. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Moving on to the last part of the drive train, the tCase.

I picked up some SCX10 input gears and some random long 5mm shafts from RPP. I also grabbed an idler gear from the LHS.

[​IMG]

Getting the outer dimensions with gear mesh I move on to the design of the case. My original idea was to keep the case as minimal as possible but after looking at the driveshaft angles from the transmission I had to add the idler to raise the input shaft and separate it from the front output.

I'm really not saving much cash making this myself but it allows me to put it anywhere I want while keeping it as small as possible. Mounting will incorporate the "Triangles" in the bottom of the skid and two of the original tranny holes. It ended up as 4 pieces.

[​IMG]

Printing one side of the case.
    [​IMG]

I have a RC4WD 60mm punisher shaft on it's way for the input. For outputs I managed to be able to keep my MIPs. All with sane shaft angles. Pic shows an old axial drive shaft I modified to check operation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Z0MBI3 and Bluedually like this.
  11. ScaledIt

ELiTE MEMBER

yup i need a 3d printer, you sir inspire me is it hard to design that in a cad program?

Bluedually likes this.
  12. Bluedually

Bluedually Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I'm thinking the same thing, I need a 3D printer. Really awesome build.

13. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Yes..... and no.

No, because there is nothing geometrically difficult about the tCase. Circles, squares and arcs. No weird extrusions like in my motor mount. The hardest part is keeping track of the dimensions for each side of the case.

Yes, because if you have 0 modeling experience, there is a learning curve to the software. I stuck with it because I have uses for it at work also.

I'm fully open source. As such, the program I use to model is Freecad version 0.17

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases

14. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    It's going to be so cool when finished! How's the CNC machine doing? Does it work well?

15. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I've enjoyed it for many projects. From large clocks to engraving benches, routing pcb boards and of course, RC projects. Sometimes I wish I gotten the smaller model as it takes almost 25% of my hobby room.

It's next mission will be routing a new pcb for this project once I get a little further into it. I need to find a place to put my light/winch controller back. Using the front space for a 3d printed motor kinda stole usable area for electronics.

Antho11 and Z0MBI3 like this.
  16. ScaledIt

ELiTE MEMBER

have you considered making scale parts and selling them?

Z0MBI3 likes this.
  17. Z0MBI3

ELiTE MEMBER

I so need my on TIG welder now drzoo2 to complete our tiny truck builds.

18. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I've done something similar way back when I bought my ATV in 06. I made a dash to fit new handlebars and posted some pics. I had a few people ask if I would make them and I did a few request. They became popular and next thing I new I was taking orders. At that point it kind of became difficult as I relied on other people to produce the blanks and I was powder coating them. It was fun while I was doing it but it quickly became a little stressful as I actually had orders.

I now have two kids, a 50h/week job and my wife owns two businesses. Most of the equipment I use is hobby/consumer grade and breaks down as such. I just had to troubleshoot a bad Vreg on my printer so it's been down for a few days. The CNC is great to have but it's no mill. Super slow, accuracy is decent but not machine quality and my printer cost $250. Prints are decent and useable bit fall short of what is possible. All of the prints thus far are PLA but need to be redone in ABS and I'm fighting with hardware. I've only been able to complete one ABS print. All the rest have failed.

Doing parts is hard. Without being fully committed it's real easy to fall behind.

Z0MBI3 and walter like this.
  19. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Little more to add.

I've spent time reprinting in ABS. Very happy with the results so far. All of the red PLA shown previously was for prototyping.

I also picked up a hardened gearset from SSD and Robinson.
    [​IMG]

Installed with RC4WD punisher shaft that happened to show up today in the mail.
    [​IMG]

Initial layer of the motor mount. The red is from a heatlamp I'm using to keep the ambient of the print high to mitigate warping from areas cooling faster than others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I get the other mount printed.... (printing now) I have to split the frame and swap them with the protos

Antho11 and walter like this.
  20. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    How is the strength of your printed parts? Would you say they're as strong as the stock parts?