1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCX-10 based Scale Chevy Build

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by drzoo2, May 4, 2015.

1. Cultus

Cultus Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

very nice color! lookin forward to the completed truck.

2. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That makes two of us!

Y2daT likes this.
  3. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Loving the blue colour

4. ScaledIt

ScaledIt Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Nice work mate, cant wait to see it finished

5. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So finally after a full week, I received my LEDs yesterday and installed them. This finally allowed me to install the grill and tail lights into the truck. I decided to keep the metal work unpainted. I think it would look killer black but since this is my comp rig, I need to the ability to fix any broken pieces. Painted bumpers would make for painful repairs which are inevitable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally looks like a Chevy!

I will be running the LEDs off from my Arduino Light module.
    (Here is an install I did for a friend into his Yota....)

[​IMG]

The plan, in order to keep the wiring tidy is to route a PCB at work. I bought a 6 channel receiver which works nicely on my hacked Flysky radio. The extra channels, 3 and 4 will operated the light mode and the winch.

[​IMG]

BignBlue, Z0MBI3, lout and 2 others like this.
  6. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nice DIY light kit! I think the bumpers look good in silver, it stands out more because everybody has black.

Bluedually, Z0MBI3 and drzoo2 like this.
  7. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks...and your right. I chose the steel wheels in silver because I thought the black would be more common.

While visiting my friend @Z0MBI3, He had an extra roll-bar he had made for his Sawback but had yet to mount it. While hinting round that it would look great on my build, like the friend he is he handed it to me and said he would build another. This is made from 1/4" stainless tubing he welded together. All I had to do is trim it a bit. I need to give it back so he can weld some bungs on the bottom to mount it. Kinda makes that spare tire carrier look amateurish.

Thanks buddy!!!! Looks fantastic!

Also while I was at it, I made a rear center tail light from an old nut driver handle. It was the closest thing I could find in clear red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bluedually, BignBlue, Z0MBI3 and 3 others like this.
  8. W1ck3d0n3

W1ck3d0n3 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Man thats lookin sick man keep it up. Chevy for life.

Z0MBI3 and drzoo2 like this.
  9. Z0MBI3

Z0MBI3 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I'm glad the roll bar worked out for you. Looks great and its actually functional. :-D Now I need to get my ass in gear on the yota again.

10. Z0MBI3

Z0MBI3 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think you should add some rust to your rado to make it look more scale to an upstate NY truck. :-D

11. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    It's a Chevy.....they don't rust.....

W1ck3d0n3, Z0MBI3 and lout like this.
  12. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

Lol I got 3 Chevy's . they rust nicely if u live near the coast. My current Chevy's arnt bad on rust but I've owned a couple rust bucket Chevy's. They were the 4x4 ones . and had all been beach riding .

Z0MBI3 and drzoo2 like this.
  13. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I ordered a couple of relays through work in order to incorporate the winch into the electronics but due to delays in the weather they didn't come Friday. We are shut down for the week so now I have to source a few. But, in the mean time I have been working on the rest of the electronics setup.

Kinda looks like life support atm...
    [​IMG]

I am going to use proto board vs. making/routing a PCB. I just don't have the time at work to get it finished.

But....the results once completed will be awesome......
    [​IMG]

Bluedually, OKCrawler and lout like this.
  14. ScaledIt

ScaledIt Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

wow very well done . that looks amazing. keep em comin

15. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Due to my impatience, I really want to get this finished the end of this next week. I went ahead and re-ordered the relays and some other parts and had them shipped 2-day. Hoping I will see them Tuesday. Since I am off this week I should have plenty of time to finish the electronics.

I will document the proto board build and make available the software for the Arduino setup as I go.

16. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The UPS man delivered the last pieces that officially allows me to button up the build. Relays for the winch controller and FET to handle the extra current needed to drive the coils on the relays. Also some 3pin headers for the Servo, ESC, BEC and Lightbar connections.

[​IMG]

I hate wiring protoboard.
    [​IMG]

I finally, get to see this move but it was dark out. Sounds like a good chance to take some shitty cell video!

Video starts out with hazard lights, then switches to police style flashers. The LED light bar brightness is controlled using the steering trims on my Flysky. I have it programmed for "OFF" "Just Visible" "Medium" and "Full". The headlights go bright when throttle is applied.

17. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So the few runs I have had, I found the stock RC4WD foams were crushing under the weight of the truck. I picked up a set of CI Deuces Wild to fix it. These are much, much better and don't let the tire roll over itself when turning.

[​IMG]

While I was at it I grabbed a set of cut bevel gears. I'm not putting these in until I'm done testing as these will end up over-drive under-drive for the comp.

[​IMG]

I ran a score sheet and found I am currently sitting at -58 once I find some drivers for it. Since the max-out is 50 in class2, maybe I will leave them out. I'm honestly not a fan of drivers. That will leave me at an even -50.

Cultus, lout and ScaledIt like this.
  18. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Finally some pictures that aren't on my bench. I got a chance to do some real testing today. Over-all I feel the truck ran great. I'm a bit over geared for the weight but other than that I think things are right on track.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bluedually, Agent69, Z0MBI3 and 3 others like this.
  19. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Truck is looking good. You certainly got some nice shots there. By the way what happened to the roll bars and tyre rack?

20. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I need to give the rollbar to @Z0MBI3 to finish welding some bungs to the bottom. We both have been busy and I just haven't seen him in a few weeks. The good news is I am having a party this weekend and he loves free beer...... so I should have it mounted soon.

I happen to have the rack off when I was out today as I need to modify a bolt to mount the tire (tyre :) ). I am also probably going to pick up a 2" lightbar for the front. Z0mbi3 let me use this one but I think it's a tad large for the mounting location.

Z0MBI3 likes this.