1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCX-10 based Scale Chevy Build

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by drzoo2, May 4, 2015.

1. Z0MBI3

Z0MBI3 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

You know it. that water was deep behind me.

2. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    This was a fantastic event. It was worth the sweat and time we put into it. @Z0MBI3 and I are going to invest more time over the winter polishing what we learned. My first change.......I'm ditching the scale winch and making a sero winch. Honestly, the main issue I had during the event was my winch. Swapping to a servo winch will improve the torque (this truck is heavy) and speed which should translate into faster course times.

I have to work on my suspension. I feel the truck did well but there were a few rock I shouldn't have gotten hung up on. Some driving, Some setup. All in all we learned a lot and met some great people. Can't wait to do it again next year. This time we will be a little better prepared.

EvaderKMP, lout and Z0MBI3 like this.
  3. EvaderKMP

EvaderKMP Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah that first steps a doozy! Guys thanks for the koodos, and I'm glad those shots came out great...Zombi3 I have to thank you for being patient that day when I dragged you over to that overhang rock to photograph your truck from like a half dozen different angles! I only wish I had thought to grab drzoo2 also so we could get his awesome looking chevy!

DaKong, drzoo2 and Z0MB13 like this.
  4. Z0MBI3

ELiTE MEMBER

EvaderKMP its always a blast hanging out with you. :sparkscliff:

drzoo2 likes this.
  5. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Time for pre-spring cleaning, repairs and upgrades based on last years performance. Plan is to finish this by the end of May.

Plans....
    • Repair some broken tube work
    • New Motor and ESC
    • Servo Winch to replace weak scale winch
    • Upgrade spools to something other than stock lockers.
    • 32 pitch pinion/spur
    • Figure out stiffer springs that fit on Proline Scaler shocks.
    • AX10 CVDs and Beef tubes.
    • What ever else I find.......
    Out with the 13t CM sport.....in with a 16t CM Pro
    [​IMG]

Holmes Water-proof ESC
    [​IMG]

.....to be continued

6. EvaderKMP

EvaderKMP Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey man have you looked into axials lineup for scx10 springs? I'm pretty sure the stock plastic shocks use the same smaller diameter springs since they're smaller diameter shock bodies.

7. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I was thinking SCX shock springs. I'd like to have a set in my hands to test. I am currently using the duel rate versions but I want a single rate heavy and medium to test.

8. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

Best brushed esc ever :)

drzoo2 likes this.
  9. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Tonight I tackled setting up the transmission for 32pitch gearing.

Due to excessive run-out on the stock driveshaft, I ordered up a new one from Super Shafty. I already had HR metal gears, so these are staying. Shaft allows for easier installation of the Robinson Slipper I am using for the conversion. It pushes the the pin hole just a touch forward for clearance. The stock shaft will work but you have to shim for almost 0 backlash. This makes it easier and well it's "BEEFY"

[​IMG]

Next I drilled out the motor backer plate the same size as the motor plate hole. More on why further down.

[​IMG]

The pin that comes with the shaft is just a touch too long to fit in the Robinson spur. I had to break out some sandpaper and shorten it just a little till it fit snug in the grove.

[​IMG]

Mocking it all together I used a metal Axial transmission spacer AX30499 and a few shims to push the final spacer (bearing) out to the pin hole. The topshaft has very little deflection anyway but this minimizes anything that is left. Using the original shaft this is a must to keep the spur from hitting the case screws behind it. The reason for drilling the motor plate is do to using a bearing as the final spacer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Robinson 52 tooth spur with a 12 tooth pinion. Powered by a Holmes 16turn Crawlmaster.
    [​IMG]

So far completed on my list:
    • New Motor and ESC
    • 32 pitch pinion/spur
    Today I received a few pieces of .030 styrene to redo the inner fenders and am currently waiting for two D772 Solar servos to make into a KMS style winch. I'll post that build once they arrive.

EvaderKMP and lout like this.
  10. scalemadness

scalemadness Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Excellent motor choice the 16t cm pro is butter smooth with an amazing speed/torque combo

11. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks. It's an upgrade from a 13t Crawlmaster sport I used last year.

12. DubVDUBBIN

DubVDUBBIN Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Great build. Good to see another Chevy hardbody on the forums.

13. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Yesterday my servos finally arrived from Hobbypartz to build a couple servo winches out of. At the RC4WD event last summer, my winch cost me a lot of time. I DNF'd the first course because my winch did not have the power required.

I'm going with Solar D772 because they have incredible torque and decent speed all for only $25. There are cheaper brands that are used for making these. I have had good luck with this servo in my Wraith. Once one weak point is addressed they seem reliable.

I will be making two, one for myself, and another for @Z0MBI3
    The spool, flange bearing and wiring were all taken from my "scale" winch I orginally had on this build.
    [​IMG]

Disassembled and cleaned all of the grease out of the gears as to not attract any shavings.
    [​IMG]

This gear is the weak point of this servo and needs to be brazed. The center is friction fit and I have found on two other servos that it slips, causing steering issues. This will be given to Z0MBIE to reinforce later.
    [​IMG]

The winch requires a controller after modifications. There are hacks to reuse the electronics as a controller, but most of these suffer from "creep". It's nearly impossible to keep a deadzone after the hack. I have already built a winch controller and so, it's not needed.
    [​IMG]

The limit pin is pressed in and easily removed by adding a little heat to the aluminum spline shaft.
    [​IMG]

The spline shaft on these servos are drilled all the way through but not threaded to the end. I had to finish tapping in order to run a long M3 screw, used to hold the spool.
    [​IMG]

Reusing the flange bearing I pulled from my donor scale winch, I drilled a 3/8 hole to accept the 10mm bearing. This gets about 95% of the way. I finished the hole by shaving little by little with a hobby knife until the bearing fit snug.
    [​IMG]

To make room for the spool inside the case, the potentiometer mount had to be shaved almost flat to the case.
    [​IMG]

After test fitting, I cut the case in the area I needed based on how I am going to mount in my RC. This could have been cut in the front to lay the servo flat. For me after mounting, I need it to sit horizontal on my bumper. Once I get the new mount built I will post pictures. The servo case is aluminum. Painful to cut, but nice for reliability.
    [​IMG]

Threading the M3 screw using ample threadlocker and cut a flat spot for the spool sets screw.
    [​IMG]

Borrowing the wiring from the scale winch, I cut a slit in the cases and soldered it direct to the motor leads.
    [​IMG]

Tested and finished. The line is also taken from my scale donor winch. I may have to upgrade the winch line to handle the extra torque.
    [​IMG]

I still need to give the gear to Z0MBIE for brazing. I won't be using it for another month or two depending on weather. Can't wait to give a real test.

#153 drzoo2, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Z0MBI3, lout, Agent69 and 3 others like this.
  14. spawn

spawn Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  15. kpreston

kpreston Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

cool , I'm going to build one for sure, my trailfinder is a little on the heavy side. Great work, it goes to show, Practice makes perfect. Lol

Z0MBI3 and drzoo2 like this.
  16. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Awesome write up. Thanks for sharing that.

In a side note I had a savox which suffered the same push fit slip issue on a wraith. Fixed it using a little 609 loctite. Isn't coming apart ever again!!

Z0MBI3 and drzoo2 like this.
  17. Z0MBI3

ELiTE MEMBER

Very nice drzoo2 ! I guess i need to get brazing soon :)

DivineChaos likes this.
  18. scalemadness

ELiTE MEMBER

Nice work on the servo winch I had considered one for my tf2 but its a little short on available real estate. Like you i found my warn winch to be a little gutless even on 3s

19. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I've seen people remotely locate the winch toward the rear and run some tubing up to the front.

#159 drzoo2, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Z0MBI3 likes this.
  20. scalemadness

ELiTE MEMBER

That probably would work with the stock t-case but with the 2 speed t-case and shift servo and full interior theirs not quite enough room left with out causing fitment interference somewhere. For now ill have to go winchless