1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scx10 Dig questions

Discussion in 'Scale Truck Chat' started by boaty3, Dec 13, 2012.

1. boaty3

boaty3 New Member

I'm thinking about getting a scx10 and if I do I would like to install a DIG kit (i understand vanquisher makes one) but I want it to control the front axle, I want to be able to (in true scale fashion) switch to 2wd and have only the rear wheels pulling. What all would I need and what would need to be done differently to accomplish this? Thanks!

2. Honda95freek

Honda95freek MadMan Moderator

Usually a dig would lock up the wheels. They don't roll. May not give you what you're after

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

3. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    #3 Magnat007, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  4. Crawler Ted

Crawler Ted Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

A dig unit will do it , just needs to be setup to throw front into neutral or freewheel .
    I would highly recommend the vanquish dig .
    It is a beautiful piece that will work great .

5. boaty3

boaty3 New Member

Yup I found a guy on Youtube who used the vanquish dig and reverse mounted his transmission to accomplish exactly what I would want to do. Thanks guys! Now to save some money.......

6. King_Ranch

King_Ranch New Member

Scx10 Dig Question

Boaty3, I have the answer to your question. You can most definately hook up a vanquish dig (the best one ~$100) to your scx10. If you were to install the dig and reverse the transmission then your vehicle would be 4x4, free wheeling rear tires, locking rear tires. (Good for tight turns, but no fun). To have 4x4, freewheeling front tires, locking front tires (more scale rearwheel drive to 4wd and line lock for awesome burnouts) this is what you must do. 1. Buy a vanquish dig. 2. Install the dig to the transmission on the front wheel output side(it can only be installed on this side). 3. Reinstall the transmission the original way. Do not reverse the transmission, if you do it will lock and free wheel the rear tires. 4. Put thin spacers on the screws that holds the transmission to the frame mounting area. The dig hangs a little low on the transmission and hits the frame. That's why you need the spacers. 5. Now you will need to buy a shorter drive shaft for the front end because the old one will be too long. The dig sticks out a little over an inch from the tranny therefore you need a drive shaft that is an inch shorter. (I have the MIP shafts and use the regular length one for the rear and the shorter one for the front (MIP sells the shorter shaft specifically for the Dig unit). If you have the stock plastic scx10 shaft then you could cut it down to the appropriate length. I would recommend the MIP metal ones because the plastic ones will definately break. 6. After you have installed the dig you will need to buy another steering servo. A normal sized or micro will do just fine for switching the gears. I used a normal sized one. 7. The DIG comes with a servo mounting bracket. The mounting bracket and servo of your choice fit just fine if you are reversing the transmission for freewheeling/lock rear tires. In your case because the dig will be towards the front of the truck the mounting bracket and servo will not fit. There is too much clutter and things in the way on the front of an scx10 for everything to fit properly. This is where you have to get clever and do some customization to get it all to fit. If you look at Youtube video named "SCX10 with Vanquish Hurst Dig" it shows how he put it all together. Mounting bracket attached to the dig with servo on mounting bracket. This worked for him because he reversed his transmission and had the space. ( Regular DIG/reversed transmission/rear wheels being controlled) You will have (Reverse DIG/stock non reversed transmission/front wheels being controlled) You will have no space to attach the mounting bracket to the DIG. I had to attach the mounting bracket to the frame of the truck. 8. Install the linkage from the dig lever arm to the servo the same way as the youtube video. I would recommend a servo saver as well. 9. Make sure you have a free channel on your remote and have fun. I hope this all made sense. If you have any questions give me a shout.

7. VolvoRC

VolvoRC New Member

Wouldn't an easier way be to use a 2 speed trans that 2nd gear is only rear wheel drive, i am sure that RC 4WD makes one.

8. King_Ranch

King_Ranch New Member

You could use one of those two speed trannys. All the rest would be the same except you would not need a second servo. However those trannys dont look well built. I think the axial tranny with the vanquish dig would be the most reliable. Thats what all the hobby shops said.

9. Paych3ck

Paych3ck New Member

I just wanted to let you know that I followed King_Ranch's instructions exactly. However, it doesn't work because the front driveshaft binds constantly. I am working on a solution and I will let you know if I figure it out.

10. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Where is it binding ? At the diff or the trans ?

11. CalebTheRCguy

CalebTheRCguy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Ive seen that RC4WD punisher shafts can be used at close to 90 degree angles