1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCX10 II Tire Wobble

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Malickie, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Malickie

Malickie Active Member

Question for you all. Got the vehicle August 10th and am having some really bad tire wobble. As in when it is moving it looks like the tire is going in and out a bunch, I did check the wheel nuts to make sure it was tight and it is fine there but still wobbles on 3 of the four wheels. Any ideas?. My thinking is it might be that the Foam settled odd during shelf life and shipping?

Edit: Talked to Axial Customer Service. They are going to be sending be 2 sets of tires, wheels, and some tire glue. Ought to be interesting seeing as how I am really fairly new to all the RC Stuff and have absolutely no clue how to glue tires. Though I am gonna have to do it at some point in time anyway most likely.

#1 Malickie, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. BenFink

BenFink Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    check the caster blocks and drive shaft and all that make sure none of that is wobbling, just put the RC on a stand and set the throttle trim so it moves slowly and see if it shows you anything. If not its most likely the tires are separating from the rims. This should help

Greenie likes this.
  3. Malickie

Malickie Active Member

Yeah, just did a very slow controlled throttle on it, and still see the tires still look like they are going in and out like, but nothing in the axels or anything wobble oddly. Thanks for the video btw, should help a bit.

4. BenFink

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    If the tires don't look like they are coming out more in some places then I'm not entirely sure, if the new tires don't work then at least you have some free ones.

5. Malickie

Malickie Active Member

Honestly, I can't tell if the tires are goofy or not, starting to think it might be the foam in the tires pushing them oddly or some such thing like that. Yeah, at least if the new tires don't properly fix the issue got new tread at minimum. The treads on the current ones are barely used as is. Really need to get out somewhere for some trailing and such but really kinda clueless as to where to go lol..

6. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    are they glued? you can boil them and break the glue free. then remount them after you sort out the foams. as for where to go. anywhere you point it. :p

7. Malickie

Malickie Active Member

Your guess is as good as mine there. RTR version of the SCX10 II. Although I am going to assume they are probably glued as they do not come from axial pre mounted if you need a new set of them.

8. BenFink

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    well if its the rims and the tire then it should be glued, if there is a ring between it is bead locked, I am pretty sure stock is glued and that you do not want to boil bead locked tires.

9. Malickie

Malickie Active Member

Well, I have yet to put together the new set that axial sent me, but I did decide to take a gander at how it would look with my Wraith Spawn's tires. Not too bad personally. All I really will need to do is trim the body a little bit. I did raise the body mount in the rear and that seems to be enough to handle the larger size 2.2 tires.

[​IMG]

Seems by default the body has enough flare to deal with the tires in the front which is odd because in flex before I raised the body posts it was getting caught up a little bit in the rear.

10. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

when you raise the rear it moves the front wheel well to the rear

11. Malickie

Malickie Active Member

Well, once I get my beadlock wheels I am going to be putting on 1.9 tires again, the 2.2 set are rubbing the shock towers a bit, had to take out some steering to deal with it for now and really don't feel like doing a bunch of modding to just get 2.2 to fit correctly.

12. Malickie

Malickie Active Member

Waiting on Gmade NR02 Chrome Beadlock wheels for the SCX10 II. Just got done putting on my Integy Drive Shafts and Wednesday I should have my Metal Servo Horn, the stock one is trying to strip itself out already, probably because when I wound up breaking the stock servo I contacted Axial and they where nice enough to replace the Servo free of charge but didn't have the stock servo because they had none in stock so they gave me a Servo Upgrade from the TSX45 to the TSX57.

#12 Malickie, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  13. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That was nice of them. What's the difference between the two servo's ?

14. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  15. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

TSX45 TACM0245
    High-Torque

Volts Torque Speed
    4.8 143 oz-in (10.3 kg-cm) 0.21 sec/60
    6.0 151 oz-in (10.9 kg-cm) 0.17 sec/60
    Dimensions Weight
    1.6 x 0.8 x 1.5 in
    40 x 20 x 38 mm 1.8 oz

TSX57 TACM0257
    Ultra-Torque Digital

Volts Torque Speed
    4.8 176 oz-in (12.7 kg-cm) 0.23 sec/60
    6.0 188 oz-in (13.5 kg-cm 0.20 sec/60
    Dimensions Weight
    1.6 x 0.8 x 1.5 in
    41 x 20 x 38 mm 2.1 oz

lout likes this.
  16. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks for that @walter. That's some nice figures there....

17. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

you are welcome

18. Malickie

Malickie Active Member

I think you may be right with the axels or something along those lines, just installed the new tires they had sent me on a pair of beadlock wheels and there is still some wheel wobble, let along there is also some play in the tires when not doing anything I can move em a bit which from what I saw when I was looking up the same thing on my e revo is some sort of adjustment. Just not 100% on the actual cause on this vehicle is. I will throw up a youtube video of it this weekend sometime most likely. Should be able to give you guys an idea of what I am talking about and than we should be able to pin down the issue.

Attempted to glue two of the new tires they sent me to the rims they sent as well, it didn't go over too well so now I have two wheels on the vehicle with Beadlocks, gotta figure out how to get my wheels off the rims that I had tried gluing so I can put those on beadlocks too.

Edit: Got the tires off the rims. Threw em in the oven for a bit, came off fairly easily that way, granted of course it does smell a bit, not nearly as bad as some would have you believe at least in my opinion. So now I will have two sets of those tires ready for whatever rims I want to throw at them provided I even bother using those tires.

Either way, gonna do some chrome Aluminum hop ups here in a bit too. Gonna start with some new Boom Racing Aluminium Internal 90MM Shocks, GPM Aluminum Front Knuckle and C Hub. Shocks are the thing I am wanting most though, these stockers are leaking like nothing else and I haven't really gotten it out on the trails or done much climbing of anything as I have yet to find a decent area to go out to yet. Unless you guys have a better suggestion for shocks, I am completely open there as I really don't have a clue what is good or not. Really looking for shocks that are good all the way around, for trailing, mudding, climbing and just knock around the neighborhood roads. Honestly probably gonna have two sets of tires at some point so I may just go ahead and do those now while I try and work the others off their rims. Kinda again want something that will deal with Mud/Rocks/Trails/Road Driving. Gonna most likely stick with 1.9's as the 2.2 route I would have to do some mods that I do not know how to do quite yet, last time I tried 2.2 from my wraith they rubbed on the Shocks when turning which got to be an annoyance really quick.

#18 Malickie, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  19. Malickie

Malickie Active Member

So I got some parts to install on the SCX10 II. I will probably post the photo's of everything installed and setup later today or tomorrow.

[​IMG]

lout and RustyWrench like this.
  20. Malickie

Malickie Active Member

I did manage to take it out for a spin, and of course me having to have the 3s LiPo in it wound up stripping part of the middle gear in the transmission. Have an AX10, which is what the RTR uses Transmission from Hot Racing on order. Too lazy to go ahead and do it myself hence the order for the Hot Racing AX10 Tranny https://goo.gl/0LqEHi to be exact in case you all wanted to know. Will most likely put the covers on it though seeing as how I will still have the stock tranny laying around although I am not 100% certain yet . Will eventually fix the stock tranny and probably just go ahead and put metal gearing in that too just to have a backup. Anyway here are some photos with what I have done, still waiting on some new Tires to fit the Beadlock that you see in the front wheel.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

LoL, Starting to think I should have just gotten the Kit instead of the RTR with all the Upgrades I have done to this thing already :D. Of course all these upgrades I would have done most likely anyway with the Kit, minus the transmission because the Kit has full metal gearing in the transmission and lower CG. Would have been nice to get that transmission honestly and the shocks too, probably wouldn't have done the suspension with the Kit.

Although I would have had to buy an ESC, Receiver, Motor, Servo and Paint so that most likely would have had my price tag higher than this has been anyway because I probably would have gone pretty much top line on all that stuff. That's just me, always gotta have top of the line stuff unless it already has decent stuff in it which I can beat up for awhile until it breaks which eventually the brushes on the motor will give way and of course the RTR Motor is not Rebuildable so I will eventually wind up with a rebuildable Motor.

#20 Malickie, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    lout likes this.