1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AXIAL SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by OHO, Feb 10, 2015.

1. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Not been on here for a while, kind of neglected the hobby a bit over the last few months, this truck hasn't turned a wheel in almost 3 months, I've also moved house, I had some issues with my health and just stopped for a little while.
    Sadly the new house doesn't really have any locations for crawling and such, so I have decided to add a little bit more speed to this rig, lighten it up a bit and hopefully do a bit of more bashing/fast running over round grounds and see what happens.
    So, in keeping with changing, I have decided to give it a little bit of a change in direction looks wise also!
    I've got a 4" lightbar on the way, forgotten if it's an RC4WD or Vanquish, I bought it over a year ago then sold it to my friend on a rig and then now I'm getting it back.
    I've chopped the rear of the cage off, for a slightly more 'buggy' look, I've also finally been able to add the fully locking and operational toolbox I made, now I can get to the body clips easily.
    The advantage is I have a complete spare cage so if I decide I don't like it when all's said and done, no problem I can just go back to how it was!
    I've also ordered an 80t spur to replace the stock 87t for more wheel speed and I'm switching from my Axial 27t motor to an Etronix Modified 14t motor.
    Hoping these two modifications including the weight saving will help get the speed I want, if not, then I may just go brushless!
    ANOTHER BAD THINg about the house move is the Internet is very poor, so I won't be able to spam you guys with pictures and videos anymore, but I will still try and keep up with demand and I know a few of you enjoy looking through :D
    So, with that in mind, here's where I'm up to so far.
    The netting still needs cleaning up obviously, it's not finished :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lout likes this.
  2. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Enjoyed the pics you posted previously ..,specially some of the action shots. Look forward to what direction your taking now.

OHO and Antho11 like this.
  3. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Servicing your truck becomes such a breeze when you've got someone as legendary as Cap'ain Jack Sparrow helping you!

[​IMG]

4. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Got my Yeah Racing winch put on, switched to the stock plastic bumper for a few reasons, it's not as wide as the steel one, it's also a little bit more subtle, which I wanted with the winch adding some clutter to the front end... I don't plan on doing much strenuous winching so it shouldn't rip off the bumper, all being well.
    Also decided to improve on my original idea for never losing body clips again, I think it turned out rather well... Actually looks exactly as I wanted it too, the old chain I used was very weak and crap and broke off all 4 bodyclips pretty much straight away.
    This stuff is much stronger and it takes a lot of force to snap it by hand, so that should do the job nicely! :)
    LED's are now all hooked up and working properly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lout likes this.
  5. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

After many hours of attempting to upload these, they're all finally done.
    Figured it was time for a little update.
    Few images from at Williamson Park and then a few from my local spot and also my new range of LED's installed :)
    Also a little bit of winching fun, I wasn't stuck it was just for the pictures.
    Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lout, offroadboy and Antho11 like this.
  6. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    They are some sweet pics.

Love that last one

7. RCoverload

RCoverload Member

That is one cool Truck you got their man! I definitely like how you set it up for more on the "speed" side of things. I saw in a post a wile back that you were still trying to find some decent rock sliders. I don't know if that's still your plan or not. But I've got a buddy who makes some killer rock sliders on Facebook if your still interested. Ill post the link below. If not no worries still a great looking truck! Hope to see more of it soon!

Warrior Armor
    https://www.facebook.com/GeneralGrantRC?fref=ts

8. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Not posted in this in a while, not actually been out with this since those last pictures, with the weather and my Dad getting a full time job finally after months of hard searching, we're just not getting the time.
    Thanks for the link man, not currently looking for steel rock sliders at the moment, going to stick with stock plastic, because I keep taking them off anyway, then putting them back on lol.
    Hope to have some good pictures and maybe some footage of this in the near future, all being well!

9. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

So guys, this hasn't turned a wheel for a while, mainly due to personal things getting in the way, but as far as upgrades go, it's where I want it to be, in my mind it's 'finished' and I'm wanting to try my hand at something new.
    So, I've had Wraiths, SCX10 D90, RC4WD G2 D90, RC4WD TF2 Hilux, RC4WD Toyota FJ40, Cross-RC 8x8x4, SCX10 Dingo, obviously this G6, also had a Tamiya King Hauler with trailers, so I'm just wondering what you guys could suggest, something I might have not seen or overlooked when I've been searching online for project rigs?
    I don't want a Tamiya CC-01, I've had that suggested a lot but the Pajero thing just isn't my taste.
    Also looked at the Beast 2, but I'm not totally sold on it yet.
    Any suggestions would be very welcomed [​IMG]
    Hope you all enjoyed Christmas and are looking forward to many new rigs in 2016! [​IMG]

10. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hope you enjoyed Christmas also! How about a Tamiya High Lift?

11. OKCrawler

OKCrawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    RR10? Komondo?

12. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

High Lift has nenver really done anything for me, plus I don't want a Tamiya chassis to be honest.
    RR10 again doesn't really float my boat, but the Komodo is a possibility, it depends how 'scale' I want to go I guess.
    I was actually considering an SCX10 based Hilux build.

13. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Got some parts from RCMart for this, my new SSD titanium steering links, I went for the bent ones because it means I can move them higher finally and also back, this should give me a very noticable clearance increase.

[​IMG]

Clearance with the original links, they needed changing due to being beaten and a little bent too!

[​IMG]

New links, shiny! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also noticed on the last run I snapped one of the mounts of my front bumper, thankfully I did have another brand new one sat here, I decided to hack it up a little bit to make it a bit thinner and tucked in, so I had to re-locate the bumper lights to the middle instead of on the ends like it used to be.
    I think I prefer it this way.

[​IMG]

lout, OKCrawler and Agent69 like this.
  14. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well, boredom and a bit of spare cash later and I find myself in the land of 2.2's.
    Some Proline beadlocks rims with Proline Flat Irons, never used these tyres before but they aren't ridiculously tall for 2.2's which is what I wanted to avoid and at a bargain price so I thought why not.
    Bit taller and wider than my 1.9 Rok Lox, but not stupidly big.
    Nice looking tread pattern and they feel nice too.
    Also decided to add a snorkel.
    Hopefully I'll get to try the new tyres out soon, all being well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And also my tyre rack and cones turned up, very handy for me having limited storage places, these can go out of the way and free up space on the bench... Looks neat too in my opinion! :)

[​IMG]

lout and OKCrawler like this.
  15. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Got this out today, Dad had his Scout and Ray had his Summit, we had a good 2 hour run which was good and just what I needed.
    Got a few phone pictures so they aren't great but figured I'd upload them anyway :)
    Loving the 2.2s, think I need something grippier but with the new steering links on and the better ground clearance, it's definitely an improvement, think I need to go back to a 27t motor now from this 35t for that bit extra wheelspeed/power.
    May look at getting some new 2.2 steel/alloy beadlock rims and some Pitbull Growlers or maybe some Rock Beasts for extra grip and run it as a 2.2 rig.
    I also lost my snorkel top, it survived some very hard landing though, but being 3D printer the top was glued in place by the maker, does anyone know of a solid single piece snorkel that would work well on my shell please?
    Ideally within the UK if possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lout and Magnat007 like this.
  16. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well, my SCX10 hasn't stretched it's legs for a while and given my new found enthusiasm for filming, I thought it'd be rude not to head out and practice the filming.
    Apologies for terrible driving, it's not easy to keep focused on the truck, drive, keep the camera stable etc... Especially when the suns either in your face or worse, on the camera screen so you can't follow it through there either.
    But I'm learning and making progress, so I'm sure I'll improve over time.
    Anyway, here's the video, please feel free to subscribe/like etc... I'm hoping my channel will expand so I would really appreciate any support :D

17. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well, I stumbled upon a folder yesterday that I totally forgot about, it's some clips of me and my Dad running the crawlers up Farleton Knott (some people may know it, in the UK) and I totally forgot to put a video together, I think originally I didn't because the quality is lacking, but we'll just overlook that, after this I reset the camera and it was much better, I thought I would upload the footage anyway!
    Any comments/subscribe/likes etc... Are very welcome :)

18. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I'm not sure why this video has a border round it... My license has just expired today on my video editing software so that might be why.
    Either way, here is the latest video from me, with my SCX10 at Williamson Park, my Dad driving the Scout but I didn't get very much footage due to the camera battery going flat.
    Please feel free to check out my other videos :)

19. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Another day out with the SCX10, this time running 3s for a change.
    I definitely prefer 3s in this enviroment, quite enjoyed it actually, I'll be sticking with 3s for the time being.
    RC4WD 35T motor, HobbyWing 1060 brushed ESC, Ace DS 1015 servo, Castle 10a BEC, Turnigy 2200 3s 20-30C, Spektrum SR410/DX4C, just in case anyone was interested in the current electric specs.
    Please feel free to subscribe/comment/like and all that good stuff :)

20. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well, after a lot of miles of abuse without being fully serviced, coupled with two stripped gearbox gears after moving to 3s, I decided it was time for a complete rebuild on the SCX10.
    She has run through just about everything, very hot days, rain, snow, hailstones, mud and everything in between.
    She still remains my absolute favourite RC ever and as such, I have bought her a few treats.
    I received the last of the parts today so cracked on.
    New Axial steel gears for the new GPM tranny case, RCBearings complete bearing set, new SSD upper links, new slipper mount, fresh spur and pinion.
    I also received the GCM shock relocation kit and shocks I'd been waiting for, but unfortunately, they don't fit the SCX10 axle housings, I will keep hold of them for now, because I've been toying with the idea of buying an Ascender for quite a while, I'm very interested to see how it'd run up against my SCX10, but more on that another day!
    I'm currently searching for a fresh shell too, I think it's time to put this Jeep one into retirement, it's had a hard life and it'll stay on the shelf as soon as I find a replacement I like.
    I destroyed one of the bearings on the inside of the knuckles (both in fact) and the outer rings of the bearings stayed in there and won't come out :(
    But it's a good excuse to buy a replacement, so I have had to go back to stock plastic on the knuckles, until I can justify spending more money, rather disappointing but their is some play in these knuckles now, so they would be getting replaced soon enough, possibly with SSD Pro c hubs and knuckles or might just order the Vanquish stage one kit.

[​IMG]

One of many destroyed bearings.

[​IMG]

Really nice quality case, quite surprised me, bearings slotted in nice and smoothly and the finish feels good... Very promising.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lets get the axles rebuilt.

[​IMG]

Looking rather sorry for herself, waiting to be rebuilt lol!

[​IMG]

lout likes this.