1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AXIAL SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by OHO, Feb 10, 2015.

1. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The bench is also finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Antho11, Dalton Brenneke and sweet rc like this.
  2. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Boom, the SCX10 is out and about soaking up some beautiful views!
    More onboard, because I enjoy it so much.
    Hope you do too!
    Hit that subscribe button and give it a thumbs up if you enjoy it!

walter likes this.
  3. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nice job capturing suspension movement in your video!

OHO likes this.
  4. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it, I have a few other similar ones from different angles on the channel :)

Antho11 likes this.
  5. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Rebuilt my shocks this evening.

A true test of how good your shocks are IMO, is how clean the liquid is come rebuild time.

These shocks simply don't leak and don't let crud in, all four shocks had really clean liquid in, compared to say the Yetis shocks, which all were very dirty and gritty and had leaked most of the liquid out.

Put 10wt in them now all round and running less preload, going to try out the softest settings I've ever used and see how things go.

I have also finally ordered a new body, but it's on backorder, I've been told by the shop it should be here within a week, so hopefully by Friday would be nice.

Not sure if I'm going to paint it myself, or I might send it off to someone to paint really nice, it won't be a basher body, since it's took me about 9 months to finally buy a replacement, but it will get gently used [​IMG]

[​IMG]

walter likes this.
  6. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

New body arrived today, very speedy service, wasn't expecting it until next week.

Started cutting tonight, a nice little touch is that the dashboard is separate, so a bit easier to actually detail, not that it will be super detailed, but I do want to try and get it to look neat.

I do plan on getting a figure as a driver too.

Really really like this body, it's the Proline 1966 Ford Bronco.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

walter likes this.
  7. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Shell is all cut out and mounted, I really like that separate dash... Knowing my luck it will look terrible when it's all fitted, but for now, I'm enjoying it.

I'm also unsure if maybe I need to pull the front axle back a touch, I already have taken about 3mm off it, but maybe another 3-5 is needed just so the tyres 'tuck' a bit better, I'm unsure yet though.

Sadly, my wheel wells I made for the Jeep don't fit on the Bronco, they're too wide on the front and not big enough on the rear, so I guess I will have to make some more at some point.

Need to order some more paint and liquid mask, the 'design' isn't terribly difficult, but I think liquid mask will still work better, for cutting out the lights and stuff, I hopefully want to have a light kit in the shell itself, as well as a separate lightbar, which I can hopefully use independantly of each other, but we'll see on that one!

It feels weird seeing the SCX10 without the Jeep body!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd also forgotten about much scrap is left over from a body... Enough there for another body!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I'd forgotten how high this stuff makes you LOL!
    What do we think so far of the Bronco, yay or nay over the Jeep? Ignoring brand and purely on looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Yay, lots better than the jeep, would be even better with a scout body

10. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well I have pretty much screwed up the paint job.
    But I have ordered the Proline Ridgeline cage for this anyway, I might end up ordering another body for it then send it away to be painted like I was going to.
    My initial plan couldn't happen from painting on the inside because it wasn't accessible to get a blade in or fingers to cut the liquid mask, so I pulled it all off to paint the outside and the design was a bit of a spur of the moment thing and it hasn't come out how I wanted.
    Plus some of the paint bled a little due to a new type of masking, so I'm pretty annoyed at myself overall with it.
    I might continue to finish it though, see if a few stickers or something might help, plus the dash needs to go in yet and the new cage.
    We will see though.
    Still haven't got a bumper and/or new winch sorted either.

11. Polaris425

Polaris425 Moderator
    MODERATOR ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I love old bronco's so get's an A+ from me.

Whats the liquid mask stuff?

12. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

It's basically what it says really, it's a liquid, you paint on a few coats, as evenly as you can, let it dry overnight, then you can cut any design you want into it, peel off, and it just acts like masking tape, but sometimes it's easier to apply in tight areas etc... Then normal masking tape.
    It's also good for lettering, you can reverse print what you want, put it on the outside of the body, then use a box light or something to cut the letters out in the mask.

Polaris425 likes this.
  13. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

finish the paint put stickers all over it and run the wheels off it. get the new body painted like you want for on the shelf duty's

14. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The main part of the paint is now done.
    Long story short for those who don't know, I didn't want it like this originally, but couldn't do the design on the inside I wanted and kinda ruined it trying, so I was forced to paint the outside.
    Trying to be creative I have opted for a lightly weathered look in certain places.
    So here's the update of where I am up to so far with it.
    I would really value any feedback on this as I go along, because this is my first time create 'fake' weathering, I usually do it a slightly different way for a more authentic feel, but this one will be a bit different to my usual take on weathering.
    I have also decided for one reason and another to take the winch off, the Tough Armour bumper I had my winch on with my Jeep body was fine, but this one sits slightly further forward to line the arches up, so it doesn't work with the new bumper as it was modified and sits closer to the chassis and can't be moved further out.
    The SSD bumper I also have and wanted to use doesn't work with the winch I had, so either way it was going to end up costing me quite a lot to get everything working, which after how much this body has cost in total with the new cage and everything, I just didn't really want to spend, because it would require the RC4WD 8274 winch which is a lot of money in the UK, just for the sake of winching a little bit, so far now, the winching idea is on hold and I will just have some tow straps when we go out for keeping it 'realistic' in pulling each other out of the mud.
    So that's where I am up to so far, feel free to let me know what you think, good and bad :)

Base layer on and done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added the black bits.

[​IMG]

Read for the white grill.

[​IMG]

Got all the lighting soldered up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some reading material for my driver and passenger, when I finally find some that fit, bought four figures and none of them it properly! :(
    The Left magazine, is actually the June 1966 cover I had specially made to match the year this Bronco body was made from.

[​IMG]

Stuck the wiring down properly with some Plastidip, then a quick covering of some black to 'back' the body a bit and also try to camoflauge the wiring better.

[​IMG]

Wasn't sure if to do this or not, but decided to in the end because it would act as a good test base for some weathering.

[​IMG]

And some progress on the start of my attempt at weathering, just waiting for some fresh paints to arrive then I can do more.

[​IMG]

#134 OHO, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  15. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

that looks very good

OHO likes this.
  16. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Received and built the Pro-line Ridgeline cage for the SCX10.
    Rather like it, thought I'd dislike it without a windscreen, but actually I like the more open 'raw' look.
    Unsure if I now like these tyres with this though, so might have to try and find something a bit smaller, but don't really want to compromise the awesome performance just for looks.
    We'll see how that goes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kom55 likes this.
  17. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Started making rust!

In the end I opted to just use some Tamiya paint and patience, rather than a 'rusting kit' that are ever popular.

A good excuse to get some fresh Tamiya paints, brushes and tape [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Antho11 and walter like this.
  18. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That rust looks really good!

OHO likes this.
  19. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Some more done to the rear bed and the rear 'door'

I think this is about as far as I will go for the rear, I don't want to overdo it, on the other hand, I am treating this as a practice run, I know it won't even come close to comparing to what some guys can do, but as long as I'm happy with the end results, that's good enough for me!

Comments welcome.

[​IMG]

walter likes this.
  20. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

This is precisely why you should never rebuild your truck when you are super tired.
    Waiting for LiPos to finish charging, thought 'I'm not actually that tired I'll put the shocks on...'

[​IMG]

Antho11 and walter like this.