1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AXIAL SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by OHO, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I know how you feel, I’ve put so many things backwards when tired!

2. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The CMS is still causing the right front shock to be stiff.
    When it's removed, the shock is very smooth, when installed, it's stiff.
    I think I might go back to an axle mounted servo.
    There is nothing actually binding up, weirdly, so I'm not sure how exactly it's creating the problem, but I might be forced to go back to an axle mounted servo.

3. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think the ride height is much better now.

Removed a total of around 18mm in travel, 10mm off ride height and about 8 from adding spacers to the shafts, plus the fact these Axial stock shocks are already 8mm shorter than the others, that's actually a total of around 26mm taken away.

Should be much better for driveshaft angle and link angle, if I move back to an axle mounted servo, the front bumper should also help in hiding the servo.

I think I might have to and just choose performance over looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ride height before...

[​IMG]

Much better now in my opinion, what do you think?

[​IMG]

walter likes this.
  4. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

yes better

5. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well I decided to give her a bit of a rebuild, I'm going to be waiting at least another week I would say for the new shock hoops to mount the Bronco properly, so figured I'd order a full bearing set and put the servo back on the axle.

With the suspensions final set up unknown at the moment until I run it, it will be a lot easier than having to worry about panhard link length etc... So just going to run servo on axle, at least for now.

When moving to a CMS, I also cut the lugs off the axle housing, so I had to swap the housings round.

This is as far as I have got until more parts arrive.

[​IMG]

walter likes this.
  6. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Started to feel a bit better today, so decided to shorten the links on the SCX10 to accomodate the Bronco body.

Not sure if maybe the front need another 3-4mm cutting off or not, can't quite decide, so might just wait until it's ready to actually go and see how it sits.

'flex' shots, just to see roughly the maximum articulation per wheel before the others are affected.

About perfect for what I wanted.

Also roughly rubbed down the blue wing and sprayed it again, because, well, it might have fresh paint but a 50+ year old wing will no doubt have been resprayed at least once [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DodgeZippy, Antho11 and Polaris425 like this.
  7. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

So, in a bit of a twist, the Bronco body is basically finished, aside from a driver.

I'm not happy with it though at all, I have this brand new 2000 XJ sat around, so I thought, hmm, how close is the wheelbase.

I think with the chunkier tyres to the SCX10II, it'll look good.

Need to lengthen the wheelbase slightly, ironically, I only shortened it for the Bronco!!

But, it looks like we're going back to a Jeep, so I might just try to sell the Bronco body.

With the sale of the SCX10II and possible sale of the Bomber, my recent lack of enthusiasm in the hobby in general is worrying.

I think a nice relaxed paint/body project for my favourite truck should hopefully kickstart something back in me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DodgeZippy, Antho11 and DaBurt420 like this.
  8. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Got some colour on the SCX10s new XJ body.

Wanted orange really and despite the new owner of the SCX10II (which I did orange) saying it's okay, I still didn't want to just copy that body, seeing as I had plenty of colour options, I decided to pay homage to my original Jeep Wrangler body on my SCX10, by doing it the same blue, but I have done an initial backing of met blue, to hopefully achieve a slightly different shade, then I am thinking of doing the arches dark gun metal, rather than black, but I'm not 100% decided either way yet.

[​IMG]

DodgeZippy and Antho11 like this.
  9. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Maybe you need to try a different segment of the hobby to get you back into it. Nice blue color!

10. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I did consider it, but I've tried most things, only thing I've never really got serious with is planes, but I've had quads and helis.
    I do fancy a nice drone sometime in future, maybe a Mavic Pro or something that I can go for bike rides with and get some nice aerial shots.
    That will be a while away though.

Some proper colour shots, I decided to go for a very light coat of gun metal on the arches, before backing with black.

I think with the softness of the blue, it works well, I didn't want too much contrast with the arches against the blue.

Progress will probably be pretty slow on this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Antho11 and DodgeZippy like this.
  11. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I decided, even with longer front links, that I think the Growlers are just a bit tall and chunky, they stick out a bit further than I'd like.

I can't possibly get a tyre completely tucked under the arches, due to the Vanquish knuckles, they require the wheel be pushed out more, but I think this is a reasonable effort, my aim was something that could go off road, but also legal for the road.

Growlers.

[​IMG]

Swampers.

[​IMG]

Antho11 likes this.
  12. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well, I caved and went for orange instead of white... I wasn't sure as I've never been too fond of the solid orange 'blinkers' that don't blink, but I think this suits the classic style/look I was hoping for.

[​IMG]

kom55 and Antho11 like this.
  13. Seldon_j

Seldon_j Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Do you guys strip the axle gears easy... I do

14. Krent

Krent Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

You mean the diffs? Sounds like it's time to upgrade to hardened aluminum my friend.

15. Seldon_j

ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah I used the axial hardened bevel gears and they strip easy and don’t last like even when I use a 20T or 35t they don’t last

16. Polaris425

Polaris425 Moderator
    MODERATOR ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    what you gonna do w/ the growlers?

17. Krent

Krent Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

OK...stupid question time so forgive me. I'm spitballing here because those are actually pretty strong and should not be stripping easily. Also...seriously sorry for a short hi-jack :(

1-do you grease them? And if so, are you using so much it binds and strips them?
    2-are you sure you installed them correctly and they aren't lose, like if you forgot to install a bearing.
    3-how are you driving the,? Trails? Rocks? Lots of water? Maybe they are getting grit that's stripping them?

#157 Krent, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  18. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I might sell them, but for now they're on the shelf with the others lol.

No need to apologise about the thread jack lol, we're all here to learn :)
    I don't strip gears that often, but I did strip one set quite prematurely, turned out to be the bearings were screwed and allowing the gears to flex too much.
    It's worth checking your bearings, when running in dirty condition, a bearing doesn't tend to last a huge amount of time really, especially if you're wheeling for a few hours per run.

Krent and Polaris425 like this.
  19. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I think the orange blinkers were a good choice, also like the warm white/yellow headlights. It makes it look more period correct.

20. Seldon_j

ELiTE MEMBER

No I use marine grease and change bearing each time and they strip after 5 runs