1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AXIAL SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by OHO, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Krent

Krent Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Then I'ma chalk it up to a lot of bad luck :( That shouldn't be happening. I used my stock diffs in my SCX10 for a couple of years before needing to replace them which I only just did (the same hardened Axial bevel set) and have a few runs on and they are good. I had replaced my bearings once without needing to replace the diffs. I run in a lot of water and rocks.

2. Seldon_j

Seldon_j Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

It’s always the front differential that goes than the rear

3. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Maybe try a single shim... Double check it's not too tight before using of course, it might be the axle housing is just a tiny bit not right, like the bearing recess might be a little worn, or not quite molded perfectly.

Antho11 likes this.
  4. Seldon_j

ELiTE MEMBER

Hmmm I tried to make it right the housing and fill it excessive grease too

5. Krent

Krent Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

too much grease is bad.

6. Seldon_j

ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah i don’t know but now the truck that’s like that is only 2wd now and it was a dually for heavy hauling but I lost my trailer

7. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Gave the SCX10 a little shakedown run, I was sat thinking why I haven't used it, what is left to do to the chassis to get it actually moving, then I realised, nothing!

So I took it out for a quick run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Surprising how much pleasure you can get from using a tiny truck in the grooves of a tractors tyre.

[​IMG]

Some tools of the trade!

[​IMG]

The spectators were out in force, at one point I thought I was going to get a Mexican wave!

[​IMG]

walter, TUSOffRoad and Antho11 like this.
  8. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

It seems I have a sickness.

No matter what I try with this truck, somehow the old G6 seems to come back to haunt me.

Hello old friend, you're a bit dusty, but still beautiful.

Yes that does say 'clean me' I think the invisible driver is giving me a hint.

[​IMG]

cbaker65 likes this.
  9. cbaker65

cbaker65 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

It does need some fresh dirt!....:cool:

OHO likes this.
  10. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

It will get some soon.
    I think I'm going to sell my Bomber brushless with a spare brushless system I have that was in it for a short while, it was nuts and I think someone would be very happy with it.
    Then all I will have left is the SCX10 (with the Bombers brushed electrics in it) and my mental Yeti.
    The reason for it is I want to upgrade the electrics in the SCX10, I have a nice Holmes motor in my Bomber with a HW QR1080... The Bomber isn't getting used at the moment and currently being without a job, it makes sense to free up a little money too.
    How well this plan will all go down, I don't yet know lol, but hopefully will get the SCX10 out for a run very soon, I want to get it as muddy as all hell.
    But she does need some love, new axle rails needed, but I might put the old ones back on, one of these is actually bent, cheap Chinese knockoff!
    I need a new rear axle shaft too, one is way too wobbly and it's on the threaded part so I think trying to straighten it will either ruin the thread or just snap the shaft.
    Would also like to replace all the plastic ball ends for metal, think the Traxxas ones might fit, but unsure for certain, will look into that, so the money from the Bomber could help out with that too and I might even get some good photos and videos of this old rig again :D

11. cbaker65

ELiTE MEMBER

I have a solid rear axle you can have ,I bought it on intentions of building a true trophy truck!

The axle is narrow as I think its for a 1/16 ,an it has no way to hook up links ,but some
    brackets could be added ,I was going to use wheel extenders to widen the width I need!

But any way Im not going to do the build ,an if someone can use it ,than they are more
    welcome to have it.
    Ive been involved in RC's for over 20 yrs ,an been on RC forums for over 10 yrs ,I never sell
    my xtra Rc parts ,but I do give some away to Folks that can use them!

Pics of the axle ,wheels & extenders are not included!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#171 cbaker65, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    OHO likes this.
  12. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thank you very much for the kind offer, I appreciate it.
    I only actually need one axle shaft though, the rest is still good as far as I know, so I will just order up a shaft if I can find them in stock, or see if someone has one in there spares bin they want to sell :)
    Thanks again though, I appreciate the offer.

13. cbaker65

ELiTE MEMBER

No problem ,this axle didn't cost much ,I don't think replacement parts do for solid axles ,LOL...
    probably cost more to ship than what the parts are worth!...:cool:

14. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well I put a new axle shaft in, but the wheel still has some severe wobble, so I'm going to rebuild it tomorrow, after carefully checking, it's definitely something with the wheel, because the shaft is perfectly straight now.
    It might even be the hex or the hub.
    Need to investigate tomorrow.

15. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The SCX10 is now back how she should be, as a Jeep Wrangler, some fresh rubber is needed, not sure what to get, either another set of Growlers, or try some Hyrax or maybe KLRs.

Old inner fender back on (old dirt included!) front bumper back on.

Ready for a run anyway, both myself and the truck!

[​IMG]

Antho11, Polaris425 and cbaker65 like this.
  16. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Actually gave my SCX10 a little run, unfortunately it was quickly called off due to a massive rain storm getting me, normally I wouldn't mind too much, but with my DSLR round my neck and the fact I was on my bike, I just packed up and left.

Will try again another day, but got a couple of snaps while I was there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Antho11, walter and Polaris425 like this.
  17. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Proper shakedown run at an old stomping ground, for followers of the thread, you'll recognise some places in the pictures probably.

I love this electrics set up, this motor is unbelieveably good (it was in the Bomber too, but for slow crawling it's fantastic) proof positive that it's complete crap who say "you get what you pay for" this outperforms motor 3-4-5x the cost.

Hate these tyres didn't think I'd get along with them somehow on my other little run locally, so I've ordered some Ottsix Voodoo KLRs to try, being a faithful Pitbull lover, it took a lot, but a set came up cheap, so thought I'd try the Voodoos.

Also riding home today and I saw a place that looks awesome for crawling too, so we might be trying that this weekend, hopefully to give the new tyres a try too.

All in all a really good crawl out and I got some nice onboard footage too following the Scout most of the way round, so that video will be coming too when I finish editing.

Here's a bunch of pictures.

[​IMG]

This one will make more sense when you see the footage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An audience, but not the usual sheep!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cbaker65 and walter like this.
  18. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Here's some footage from the above pictures, I split it into two parts as it was a bit long, part 2 will come shortly.

19. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

If you can believe it my SCX10 actually got ran today.

Mostly for a quick test of these Voodoos... Actually like them so far, seem as capable if not more capable than my Pitbulls which have always been my favourite.

Maybe the hype is real.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Antho11 likes this.
  20. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Haven't run my rigs in a while too. That last picture is amazing! I'll defiantly consider getting those tires in the future.