1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scx10 will drive normal then stop

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by DiamondDread, Aug 19, 2014.

1. DiamondDread

DiamondDread Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

So i recently put in a new servo cuz my old one got wet and broke and the truck was out for over a month but now ive got it up and running again and it would drive fine and randomly pin it in reverse and never stop, had to chase after is for a long time, so i reset the fail safe thinking thats what it was, and now its doing the same thing but instead of running away it just stops on me, steering and throttle just shut down and the wheels just stop at whatever angle they were turning on when this happens

2. Goosemilk

Goosemilk New Member

I haven't received my SCX10 yet so I'm shooting in the dark here. Did your receiver get wet when the original servo got wet and broke? Will throttle run without the new servo plugged in?

3. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah tbe throttle still works without the servo in, and the reciever is plasti dipped and inside the reciever box so it wouldnt have got wet

4. Dazed

Dazed Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

A little more info might help, what servo did you replace it with? Have you tried with a different servo that is known to work properly?

5. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

it is a 625wp servo i just put in i believe its viterra? could be wrong but i think thats the brand, i was at the hobby shop and asked them about it and he said it could possibly be the esc, im still running the stock one that came on the truck. i dont know if this is true or not so if anyone could put some input on that, because right after he said that he went on to handing me the most expensive esc/brushless motor combo in the store

6. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

do not start buying stuff with out trying to find out what the problem is ,,, just my opinion , if you could find an other rc or to borrow components from or to try your components on if you are limited like me it would best to at least try to access known good parts to find exactly what the problem is heaven forbid that you should need a glitch buster or some other part that I know nothing about .. just to be safe try to find whats up before you start dropping a boat load of money on the fix. if you absolutely must spend a boat load of money make sure it is an rc boat not just the first boat that comes along.
    a little diagnostics could go a long way.

7. Dazed

ELiTE MEMBER

I've never run that servo but after a quick google search the only common complaint I see is people replacing it in the King Of Hammers because it's to slow. I didn't see anyone with the same symptoms your having. But it was just a quick search.

You said you soaked the previous one and had water proofed your rx, did you wp the esc as well? Stock Axial AE2? A water damaged ae2 could exhibit the symptoms your explaining. But like [MENTION=15319]MONKEYPIARAT[/MENTION] said there is no good reason the spend money before your positive what the problem is.

#7 Dazed, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  8. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

yeah im not epending money if i dont have to, im just repeating what he told me. and i did waterproof my ae2 like a year and a half ago, i should rip that open and see how the plasti dip is holding up, havent been into it since then. ill do some surgury later on and report back with my findings

9. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

[​IMG] so heres a pic of my esc, its all coated with black plasti dip under the fins, not on them, but i notice 2 tiny spots of green showing through, no wires or any components of the circuit board are showing just the green area, would this be enough to wreck it with water? Or would this even be the problem

The image doesnt seem to be working so heres the direct link http://prntscr.com/4eg77z

#9 DiamondDread, Aug 19, 2014
  10. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

[​IMG] here is a pic of the back side also, looks like a tiny hole with a small metal contact sticking out of it to, would have been hard for eater to get to it but it is possible, since i did submerge the truck basicly

The image doesnt seem to be working so heres the direct link http://prntscr.com/4egaiw

#10 DiamondDread, Aug 19, 2014
  11. Dazed

ELiTE MEMBER

That could be the problem. Even a little moisture can damage components, if you can cut back the plastidip and get a better look that might help, but I would definitely try to find another esc to test. If you don't have one ask a friend or see if the guy at the lhs has a tester you can quickly install there to test.

12. Dazed

ELiTE MEMBER

13. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

yeah ill have to go down and see, none of my friends are into rc. but i did some further exploring, i tried reconfiguring the esc and trying again, it seemed to run a bit longer but still had the same result, i had it runninng on the table with no wheels on for almost 5 minutes at various speeds and steering around and worked fine, when i put it back together and took it in the back yard it preformed good, but when i max out the throttle it seems to be when its most likely to stop working. ive been to the hobby store like 5 times this week and im getting sick of the place haha so ill probably hold off on going down there for the next few days but until then ill just keep trying to figure things out without borrowing one of their esc's ill dig deeper and post some pics of it without the plasti dip on for you guys asap

14. Dazed

ELiTE MEMBER

#14 Dazed, Aug 19, 2014
  15. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

My scx-10 would do about the same thing and it was the battery

16. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

Screenshot by Lightshot here it is with the plastic peeled off looks really gummy and dusty, ill try to clean it off as best i can and hope that helps, but ill deffinately look into the ae5 if this one is toast, 40 bucks aint bad compared to all that high end bs a trail truck doesnt actually need

EDIT: wow thats a shit picture blown up haha hopefully its enough for you guys to see, if not just ask and ill retake it

#16 DiamondDread, Aug 19, 2014
  17. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

the truck battery or controller battery? i tried changing the batteries in the controller and that had no effect on it

18. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think he is referring to the truck battery . and is the esc in lipo mode ? and if your truck battery is a lipo was it water proofed ?

19. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

Yes the esc is on lipo mode, always has been, and i didnt waterproof the whole battery just incase it made it overheat but i did smear plastidip all around the wires and have had the battery wet many times so i know that its fine

20. Dazed

ELiTE MEMBER

Battery is a good possibility for problems, do you have another rc you can test it in or another batt you can test your setup with?