1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scx10 will drive normal then stop

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by DiamondDread, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

you can try to put the battery on the charger and cycle it .... first discharge mode then when it is done charge mode ... doing this several times can some times revive a weak battery. use caution and be sure to use the fire proof charging container . just in case

2. DiamondDread

DiamondDread Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

nah just 1 rc with 1 battery, only spare parts i have is what came with my honcho. having no spares of anything makes it really hard to fix stuff haha i need to find someone going out of the hobby and selling off his stuff and buy 1 of everything in a big bundle for cheap haha

3. Dazed

Dazed Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

That's rough, do you have a charger that can cycle the batt a few times like [MENTION=17790]Y2daT[/MENTION] recommended?

4. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

i have an onyx balancing charger, ill have to look at it and see if it can cycle it or not im not 100% sure, also gunna try cleaning off all the crud on the esc board first before i touch the battery, make sure its not just some dirt and grime plugging up some connection

5. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

it was the truck battery, the same battery would do the same thing in all my RC's

6. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

one add on part that will only make things better is a BEC . i have this one Hobbywing 3A UBEC 5V 6V Max 5A Lowest RF Noise Switch Mode Module F8S | eBay . It eliminates the built in bec from the esc . and offers more power to the receiver and servo . it may fix your problem if the new servo is causing the receiver to glitch or brown out.
    it will out put 6v @5A max which is ok for the axial AE3 receiver. and will make the steering servo run quicker and better. so if it doesn't fix the problem it will still be an upgrade . i use mine to run 2 servos for 4 wheel steering and they work way quicker than on the esc's built in bec .

7. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Like others have stated don't start replacing parts until you know for sure what is wrong. I'm surprised no one has mentioned your servo. I know it's new but more times than not a bad servo causes strange things to happen like randomly kicking into reverse. Your ESC looks fine to me. And a BEC is more for High Powered Servos and things that draw extra power like winches and such. I wonder if I could have used the word And any more times in a sentence... lol...

Do you still have your old Servo? If so try swapping the servos then let us know what happens...

Dean

8. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

Deffinately something to consider, first im going to try cleaning the esc off really good, and if that doesnt work ill look into it being a servo problem, hopefully my lhs understands and will actually exchange it if that is the problem, they are kinda strange about returns and exchanges

9. chetmotox

chetmotox Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Ok first, what exactly causes it? Is it something that happens immediately, something when you turn one direction, something when you go full throttle? When does it happen because that could help pin point the problem.

Here is the first thing I would try.

If you run the throttle both forward and reverse with the servo unhooked from the receiver, does it freeze up?
    If so, we know its not the servo. If it doesn't act up, we know its not the esc.

Let us know what you come up with and we can go from there.

10. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

its random times, ive tried turning, not turning, full throttle, half throttle, reverse, everything doesnt seem to be an exact time it does it. its raining a ton right now and my esc is no longer waterproof so i cant do further testing right now, but once its done raining ill go do some more precise testing

11. chetmotox

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Ok, I would try unhooking your servo completely. Even just put the rig on blocks and run the throttle without the servo hooked up. Basically what I am suggesting is to try unhooking somethings to see if unhooking something fixes the problem. That will help narrow down the problem.

12. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

if it does end up being the servo would the hobby store replace it or would i have to go through horizon? the store i use is remote control hobbies

13. chetmotox

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    It depends 100% on the hobby store's policy. I know most places won't return electronic parts because sometimes just plugging them in wrecks them so its all in the stores policy. I would start with the store and if not, ask which channels to go through to get it warrantied.

14. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

so yesterday i sprayed the esc with that contact cleaner and so far everything seems to be working, and i did a little 5 minute rip around the basement with no problems so tomorrow ill put it back together and take it outside and see how it works with a longer run

15. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

took the truck out to the trails today after i re plastidipped the esc, everything was working great. then i had an epic fail haha. its not relative to my problem just funny and i thought i would share. all morning i was working hard getting my truck all put back together, since it was in a million and one pieces, and i forgot 1 crucial piece.....i got around a few turns, maybe 100-200 feet past the parking lot. and all the sudden i lose my steering! turns out i put the screw through the servo horn, put the steering link on it, and totally forgot to put the bolt on the other end =P so that trip was a big fail but atleast i got a nice hike out it still

16. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

so were back to square 1 it seems, had it running around my basement with no problems, took it out on the patio still no problems, took it to the trails, died 2 feet in. same problem.....what do i do lol im totally stumped on this and its driving me insane

17. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

so to try to fix the problem i was checking the battery now, i cant discharge it with my current charger, but i did realise one of the wires that connect the battery to the charging unit itself wasnt 100% plugged in, could this have messed up my battery? i tried just doing a full charge after i made sure all wires were in and it still holds a charge, but its still stopping on me. if its not then the only 2 things left would be either the esc, or reciever...just no idea which. this problem is really aggrivating and i just want to get it fixed already so any help is greatly appreciated

18. 6677

6677 New Member

Its simple enough to check if its ESC or reciever. Switch the leads for the steering servo and ESC. This will then mean the throttle trigger will operate the steering and steering wheel will operate the throttle so you might want to bench test this first rather than actually trying to drive around. But if the motor still cuts out when being operated from the steering channel, its the ESC, if the motor works fine but you lose steering then its the radio gear.

19. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

but i lose them both at the same time, its not just the motor cutting out

20. DiamondDread

ELiTE MEMBER

i was thinking, would just having a bad motor cause this? my motor is kinda starting to die on me, would a bad connection with the brushes cause the truck to just stop like its doing?