1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up Hitec X1+ multicharger

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Robodoc, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Robodoc

Robodoc New Member

Hi all! I'm a newcomer to this site. I've dabbled in hobby grade RC on and off for about 30 years, but the amount of practical experience I have is nearly zero compared to most of you. I'm mostly getting back into it because my youngest son seems interested. Any excuse right! :D I also have a question about battery charging. I just got a Hitec AC Plus Single Port AC/DC Multi-Charger (6S/6A/50W) that I am having trouble figuring out. I want to get my old Team Associated RC10 T3 running again, so I bought a Racer's Edge Super Sport 6 Cell NiCD 1500Mah Battery since it's similar to the battery that originally came with the RC10, and I didn't want to take any chances. I also have a 2WD Traxxas Stampede XL-5 that came with a 7-Cell NiMH 3000mAh Battery and got my first Lipo battery for the Stampede as well, a Traxxas 3S "Power Cell" 25C Li-Poly Battery (11.1V/3300mAh). Phew! So those are the specs. Now I want to charge my new batteries. As I understand it, brand new NiCd batteries should be charged overnight (14-16 hours), so I tried to program the charger to do so. That's when I got toally lost. The instruction manual was not helpful either. I searched the Hitec website for info. Then I searched various RC hobby sites for articles and forums with no luck. So here I am, swallowing my pride and ...gulp! ...asking for help. Does anyone know how to set up one of these chargers? When I try to customize the charge settings, it takes me through a series of screens wherein I can change various parameters. Unfortunately I don't have a clue about some of the settings it asks for. This is more or less what the program asks for (note: settings that can be changed are followed by ???):

INITIAL PARAMETER SETUP:
    NICD Sensitivity
    D. Peak Default???

Temp. Cut-off
    ON??? 80C???

Waste time
    CHG/DCHG??? 5min???

Safety time
    ON??? 120min???

Capacity Cut-Off
    ON??? 5000mAh???

Input Power Low
    Cut-Off 10.0V

Then there are additional settings:

CHARGING OF NICD/MIMH BATTERY:
    NIMH CHARGE Aut
    CUR??? LIMIT 5.0A???

DISCHARGE OF NICD/NIMH BATTERY:
    NIMH DISCHARGE
    1.0A??? 11.5A???

CHARGE/DISCHARGE AND DISCHARGE/CHARGE CYCLE OF NICD/NIMH BATTERY:
    NIMH CYCLE
    DCHG>CHG 3

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!! It's driving me nuts! You can imagine what the settings for a Lipo battery look like! Any help would be appreciated.

2. Robodoc

Robodoc New Member

Anyone???
    If not, can someone point me toward a good source of information on charging batteries?

3. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  4. Robodoc

Robodoc New Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That article is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I've been grabbing stuff off the internet about batteries and recharging, but the info I have found either assumes you already have some knowledge of battery chemistry or it's too basic to be helpful. I think this also explains why my NiCd battery works really well for about 5 minutes and then s l o w l y but steadily runs down over the next 20 minutes. The default program on the charger seems to be quick charging the battery, 'cause it's done in about 30 or 40 minutes.

5. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Glad I could help. Good luck with your new charger.