1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shocks for 15-20lb trail rig/ crawler

Discussion in 'Transmission, Driveline, Shocks' started by jokersinsanity, Jan 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jokersinsanity

jokersinsanity Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I need some shocks for all my rigs im building all custom 6th scale rigs using new bright bodies and 1/2" square tube steel for frame rails and on wraith style axles i plan on running all rigs on trailing arms so there will be room to double up on shocks all around. Ive been looking at gmade transitions i had them on a komodo loved how they handled i know they say they make 1/8 scale and 1/10 scale just dont know the difference. So if anyone runs heavy rigs wanna let me know what they run it would help huge plz and thanx

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  2. jokersinsanity

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:

Heres a video of the start of the build

3. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

hello ... I was wandering if I could join your conversation...
    I am thinking that if you are building 1/6 scale then for durability purposes you could look at as many 1/5 scale parts as you to form your options list ...
    I believe that the first consideration I would think about before picking anything/anything name brand ....
    is to determine what your build needs as far as specs ,,, f
    irst finding all the brands /options that fit your needs and pick from that group of options ...
    some things that will help you out ....
    are you comfortable with modding or fabrication to fit your needs? ..
    these two things are a good game changer and help in experimenting to fill your needs ...
    first find out the length shocks needed ....
    it is easier to lower a set of too long shocks than to stretch a too short pair ...
    I am assuming that you are at the end of your build...
    because in my experience I think that the shocks are one of the last two components I choose,,,
    at the end of the build ,,,
    the last being the wheels and tires ...
    and even after that you will still most likely be going back and tuning your shocks ...
    the fact that you are thinking about dual shocks means to me ,,,t
    hat you are going to have at least twice the tuning options as a single set all around ...
    as for tuning your shocks ,,,
    you most likely will want softer tune to he front and stiffer tune to the rear shocks ...
    an other question ,,, after finding the length of shocks you need ..
    are you open to experimentation or possible purchase/cannibalization ,,
    of a set the length you need ...
    I went through several sets just finding what would work and fill my needs ...
    most any shock of the correct length can be made to work ...
    but I feel that the ability to tune and/or adjust is what will work AND fill your needs ....
    2 different things ..
    in the end my vehicle ended up with aluminum heavy duty shocks ,,,
    that are solid top with no shock cap...
    also the front dual shocks have a single spring in just one of the dual set the other with no spring but the piston with 3 holes to stay soft but still be firm ...
    the rear shocks having double springs in one side of the set and the piston with one hole to be more firm and still have some give to them ...
    If you need super long shocks something like ,,,a maxstone 5 , redcat 5th scale ,or hpi for example make plastic shocks to experiment with then when the proto type works THEN buy the aluminum versions for the durability
    my 1/10 scale weighs in around 12 lbs with the dual 10000 mah lipo batteries up front ....
    and @ 11.5 with dual 5000 mah lipo right now it has a 50 turn brushed motor out of a my stone 5 on 4s lipo
    thanks to the esc originally purchased for my moa 5th scale
    I must say I am happy with the wheel speed and it will crawl over any thing that I below the level of the hood
    I was running brushless but the thing performs better and dosent break it self as often with the brushed system
    I hope you don't mind ..... here it is with the brushless system not to long ago...
    AMC GREMLIN HARDBODY TRAILRUNNER

I tested it out on loose dirt

good luck ,,,let me know if I can help...:)

#3 Monkeypiarat, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  4. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Maybe some 8th scale shocks could work.

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  5. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    those are some very pretty axles, what brand are they? as for your shock question, I have a 6th scale jesse james 36 ford coupe I made into a scale crawler, and I don't run any fancy shocks, in fact the rears are stock maxstone 10 120mm shocks with medium springs, also from a maxstone 10, the front are just some cheap Chinese aluminum body adjustable shocks with the adjuster nut screwed most of the way down for more spring tension, the car seems to work pretty good with them.

6. jokersinsanity

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Lmao gues i started ass backwards lol started with a body then frame then rims and tires lol but for tires i bought 2.2 pitbull xors for my little man cause i want him to have an 'easier' time lol. Shock length i was hoping either 90-100mm preferrably something with a droop setup.... The dual shock was only cause ive seen 1/10 scale on a 1/6 scale and the shocks shafts obviously cant handle it, i didnt think 5th scale would actually work lol. I know already what im using for transmission , driveshafts and other. But i need/want trailing arms front and rear on these rigs and just figure itd work better then a single shock trying to do all the work

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  7. jokersinsanity

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The axles a xtra speed from rcmart roughly 200 cad with shipping pretty badass build and the shock/ link mount has 4 mounting spots instead of 2

darkside0914 likes this.
  8. jokersinsanity

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    What r the shocks ur using on that gremlin?

9. jokersinsanity

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  10. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

at this point I feel like I should think a little deeper still on how I think or state ..how things work for me ....
    and if you feel backward in any way ... In my over enthusiasm to help I should have made it more clear that my thoughts are only my opinion ....I can tell you this ...that I don't think that you are backward in any way ...because if your backward I am the ass ...lol the truth is that you are actually ahead of me in the excellent choice of parts that you show in your video ...it really show that you put thought before action ...there is nothing wrong with choosing the parts you have first ...as for the order of the steps you take ,,,
    more often than not ,,,are called by the build ... not you or I ....
    thus the need to build for YOUR needs ...not what others or I say you need ...
    but truly what it takes to make it your own... and in this case that would also mean not wasting time thinking you are backward ...here is the thought ,,,, how are you backward if you are out front in the lead ..blazing the trail with a new build .... keep in mind that true genius will always break perceived rules ,,,,
    why,,, only for the fact that PROBLEMS CAN NEVER BE SOLVED WITH THE SAME WAY OF THINKING THAT CAUSED THEM ...

I believe if you are running a heavy vehicle dual shocks are good option ..
    and with a 12 pound maxstone 10 necessary for my needs ...

11. jokersinsanity

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hey man all help is good help to but i think im gonna try out those traxxas big bore i read there 103mm so i can deal with that less oil cause them to droop meh i could work and 8 shocks for 75 buck should be good for testing next i need to find someone to make trailing arms.......

12. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

after the 3rd prototype dual shocks met my needs ... I bought the shocks on amazon because they met the spec I felt matched the prototype and were heavy duty when compared to the proto type ,,, just with added overkill ....
    they were a no name brand that were made in the Philippines ... huge bore on the shock housing thick shafts ..
    they came with 3 sets of pistons 1-2 and 3 hole for tuning ... and 3 sets of springs soft medium and stiff ...
    to be quite honest my proto type shocks were off rtr vehicles that usually don't have extra parts ...
    and I never thought about ability to tune from those extra parts that came with ... I
    I only abandoned the third prototype because final set had every thing I wanted and more ...
    after I received them I still changed the parts around for six months before they performed like I needed them to..
    extra soft in front and fairly stiff in the rear ... they are a no name brand ... literally no name on the package or product anywhere to be found ...I will try to find a set and send you a link if you like ...I just need to see if after three years if they are still available ...they were around 45 dollars a set .. if I remember correctly I was searching heavy duty rc shocks ...

13. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

how funny I was thinking about traxxas big bores for proto type 4 when I found the ones I have now ...links can be fabricated with all thread that fits your rod ends and covered with brake line over the main shaft of the link ..lots of vide on youtube

just one example of many....

14. jokersinsanity

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nah i want yeti/bomber/smt10 style trailing arms i wanna dual mount those shocks to them