1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silver or chrome paint. First or last.

Discussion in 'Mods, Paint & Fabrication' started by Jonbass, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Jonbass

Jonbass Member

Media:
    The general rule is working dark to light on lexan bodies but I have seen some suggestions about backing lighter colours with silver or gray.
    Are they less translucent? Does it give a different effect behind it to backing with white? If you are doing trim in a silver or chrome, would you do it before you do light or bright colours or after? Should you back light colours with white first?
    On that topic, what airbrush paint do you suggest for chrome trim?

2. Jonbass

Jonbass Member

Media:
  3. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

A darker colour is likely to shine through a lighter one, so it's best when dark colours are closer to the eye of the beholder, thus they ideally go first on lexan bodies, and last on hard-bodies. Sometimes, however, doing it the other way round makes masking a lot easier (And I remember a Revell kit of the Titanic, where someone thought it was a good idea to mold the hull in black, with no regard to the fact that part of the superstructure was molded with it, which should be painted white). Now there are some really terrible colours when you need to cover up a darker colour with it, white and yellow are the first to come to mind. Then there are grays and metallic paints that are very light but cover up gloss black in one thin coat (it has something to do with the shape of the pigment particles). So when you need to paint white over black you can use seventeen coats of white, or one of light gray (even the kind of light grey that looks white when it is not directly contrasted with real white) and one of white.
    However, I know there are polishable metal paints out there, which are very popular with the plastic modelling community, and look fantastic on pictures, and which are airbrushed over GLOSSY BLACK primer, and with which I have no experience at all.
    Another idea is self-adhesive chrome-foil, which should be quite useful to create such ornaments.

Jonbass likes this.
  4. Jonbass

Jonbass Member

Media:
    The chrome foil idea is interesting. I will look into that.

5. Jonbass

Jonbass Member

Media:
    Hmmm. I wonder if I could stick it to the inside of the lexan or if the adhesive would make it look cloudy.

6. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I just remembered, the polishable metal-paints are called Alclad, and apparently not all modellers use black primer. You find how-it's-dones on youtube as well.
    I just tried some of the foil (the same stuff as in that video above) on a little clear plastic box and no, it doesn't look good from behind.

Jonbass likes this.
  7. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Spaz Stix Ultimate Mirror Chrome is by far the best looking chrome paint I have ever used. It must be backed with Ultimate Backer. The Ultimate Surface Pre-Prep helps a lot with the adhesion of the chrome. That's what I use on Lexan/Poly Carb

Dean

8. Jonbass

Jonbass Member

Media:
    Thanks for testing that Gromit.

Dean, do you use Spaz Stix for small details like trim or just bigger areas?