1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slash 4x4 set up for racing

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by 1santaever, Mar 17, 2014.

1. 1santaever

1santaever Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

ok so i am trying to get my slash set up for racing and was wondering what kinds of mods sould i do i want to do the center diff the lcg chassis and the pro line pro track kit but i have to save up and it will be a slow process and i also need to get a sway bar kit as my slash sits now it is the 4x4 i have aluminum rear hubs rpm arms / bumper and skid plate im running a turnigy 620 hs dmc servo a turnigy track star sc120 and a hpi flux motor with a 14 tooth pinion on a gens ace 2s 4000 40c it will be a clay track most lickly unless i can find a dirt track close by. areas i need help in tuning diffs tire choice shock set up

2. kelownaCRAWL

kelownaCRAWL Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I do not own a 4x4 slash but I have the 2wd, for tires I would definitely get proline calibers medium compond or lockades, snipers and suburbs will be some good choices , I would go between the calibers and the suburbs, the subs are more for clay
    And I will help woth shocks
    I would hit up 35 weoght fluid to about 45 wwould be the idel and I think for ur diifs try 70 the 80 fluds , that would help but om not a 4x4 racing expert so dont really listen to that, im just guessing that , but tue tires and shock weight I just said is wuat I would do.........
    Hope that helps!!?!?

3. evanmatulina

evanmatulina Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The lcg is an absolute must!
    Also, to prevent too much drivetrain strain install the centre diff (put 150k).
    get the black front and rear sway bars, put 60w in the shocks.
    The blue aluminum carriers give 4 degrees of toe in which i think is too much; put the right one on the left side and the left one on the right side.
    Tires will vary. I'd say use the good old trial and error.

4. 1santaever

ELiTE MEMBER

(The blue aluminum carriers give 4 degrees of toe in which i think is too much; put the right one on the left side and the left one on the right side.)

what will that do will it counter act the 4 degrees of toe in and make it neutral??

on a side note i was thinking about selling my slash and getting a sc10 4x4 i want to stick to 4x4 because i raced stadium trucks when i first started and hated it i was looking at the sc10 pro lite also but dont know much about it

5. Thomas Moffat

Thomas Moffat Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I've raced my Slash 4x4 with great success.
    Setup will change from track to track, but the basics are the same.

What you need is tires to suit the track, Bow-ties, Bow Fighters and Calipers for where I raced.
    A new body, Pro-line Flo-tek or something similar.
    The black sway bars.
    Better shocks, with linear springs, like the Traxxas Bigbores with Losi springs or Pro-Line Powerstrokes.
    Tuning the diffs and shocks will depend on your driving style and the track, But thick fluid in the front and lighter fluid as you move back through the diffs worked very well for me.

While the LCG chassis is nice, you don't need it to race.
    I've won several races with the normal chassis against drivers running race-breed SCTs from Associated, Losi ect.
    And if you find that you need the lower center of gravity then the LCG chassis wont help much, then something like the Losi SCTE will suit you a lot better.

6. 1santaever

ELiTE MEMBER

i had a guy offer to trade me a losi scte with a castle creations sv2 and a 7700kv motor for my slash is that a good combo for the scte i know that they are heaver than a slash and sc10

7. Thomas Moffat

ELiTE MEMBER

Its seems like a very good deal, even if that motor will burn out sooner rather then later.
    I run a 4300KV motor in mine, yes SCTEs are heavier than most of their competitors, but that means that it takes more to unsettle them on track.

8. 1santaever

ELiTE MEMBER

ok i need help i have a offer for a scte no motor or speed controler for my rtr slash is that a far deal for both and if so what would be a good motor and esc combo to run in it mind you i will have to save up for it so i want some thing that is going to work great and give me zero issues lol will the castle mamba monster sct edition be a good choice at 260 or are their better out their for the money?

9. Thomas Moffat

ELiTE MEMBER

It seems like a fair trade, the Losi SCTE roller cost about the same as a Slash 4x4 RTR from new.

Where are you going to race, what are the rules and regulations for the class you are going to race in?
    The tracks here are generally very long and high speed, the rules here for Short Course 4wd says that the batteries has to be 2S hardpacks, so I want high top speed for the straights, and controllable low speed for the tight turns, so I went with a Tekin RX8 ESC and Tekin Pro HD 4300KV sensored motor for my SCTE.

I've never seen the Mamba Monster SCT edition, but if you are thinking about the Mamba Max Pro SCT combo, then the ESC is very good, I know a lot of people use it here, if found that the motor was a little weak when accelerating for low speed in the SCTE, but it is only a 540 motor and the SCTE really shines when it gets a 550 motor.

The Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro or Tekin RX8 would be my choice for an ESC depending on budget.
    And 550 sensored motor like Tekin Pro4 and Pro4 HD series would be my choice for motor, yes it will most likely be more expensive, then the Castle combo, but better in the long run.
    SCTE_amain.jpg
    Here is what I found at Amainhobbies.

10. 1santaever

ELiTE MEMBER

i like the tekin rx8 and pro4hd but the price tag lol so i will have to save up for a while and just wait lol

11. RC-187

RC-187 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I would say get a truck that is set up for racing.
    The Sl4sh is a fun truck, I own one, but it's not the best for racing or bashing.

12. minierevo

minierevo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

as for tires i would ask what others are using that what i did to see what to use for my 2wd slash check ebay for the tekin set up that is how i got my tekin in my slash

13. 1santaever

ELiTE MEMBER

Ya I'm an eBay troll lol I will save up some and than try and find a rx8

14. evanmatulina

evanmatulina Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Almost, it gives only 2 degrees, I think.

15. gunslinger9

gunslinger9 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

okay ill through in my old setup, chuckworks lcg chassis(specially asked for(, rpm arms, strc shocktowers, hot racing c hubs and axle carriers, tekno axles, mamba max pro sct, aka cityblocks, strc driveshaft, real thick diff fluid in front, really thin diff fluid in rear, 37.5 weight oil in proline pro spec shocks on all 4, Hitec RCD HS-8360TH part # HRC38360, and rpm bumpers(cut them in certain areas for light weight) any other questions ask

16. 1santaever

ELiTE MEMBER

thanks for the help everyone i got an offer for a trade for a losi scte 4x4 and i will be running that instead of the slash 4x4