1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slash 4x4 vxl Leaky bearings?

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by BL4Z3, Dec 14, 2013.

1. BL4Z3

BL4Z3 New Member

Hey I'm a pretty new slash owner , have maybe a couple dozen runs on it , It has turned frigid outside so I thought Id stay in & do a detail cleaning , during that process I got some triflow on the outside of the bearings where the axles meet the front & rear diffs , Now I'm noticing a very small amount of what looks like grease or crud leakage from those bearings ,..Would I be correct to assume that maybe the tri-flow wicked into the bearing & is thinning & drawing out a little bit of grease ? I just hadnt noticed it before , so I dont know if its anything to worry about.

2. ForkliftJeff

ForkliftJeff Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I'm assuming the tri-flow is a cleaner? It could very well be cleaning out some of the grease from the bearings, which can be a good thing because the bearings get full of dirt and then the bearings die. I would just clean it like you are and then when you are done and it has dried out then apply some lube into the bearings. But use a lube that will cling to the bearings and not just run out or dry up. My favorite is made by Wurth called HHS 2000. But since it is hard to find, Loobit also works quite well. Just keep in mind that your bearings will die, some more often than the others. The thin one that the slipper rides on mounted to the motor mount always dies because it is so thin. Also the ones in the motor die quite a bit as well. It just depends where you run it I guess. Do yourself a favour and buy a set. Team FastEddy Pro Series Bearing Kit for Traxxas Slash 4x4

3. BL4Z3

BL4Z3 New Member

4. Monsterman79

Monsterman79 New Member

I've used Tri Flow for years on 1:1 and my rcs as well. I've never had a problem with it on the rcs. Are your bearing seals intact?

5. BL4Z3

BL4Z3 New Member

the blue seals appear to be intact , its just a very small amount of grease , I just never noticed it before

6. Monsterman79

Monsterman79 New Member

I'd just keep an eye on it than doesn't sound like your bearings are done yet.

7. BL4Z3

BL4Z3 New Member

Its like is just slightly weeping out where the axle meets the inner diameter of the bearing , the bearing itself seems fine I have to believe the little bit of lubricant I got on there is mixing with the thicker grease , thinning it & drawing a little bit out , the truck is pretty new & Im not too hard on it....

8. Monsterman79

Monsterman79 New Member

Can ya post a picture? Ya could get a Bearing Blaster Tool and clean the bearings out and repackage them. But if it's a fairly new rig I wouldn't worry to much right now

9. BL4Z3

BL4Z3 New Member

kinda hard to get a pictures of

[​IMG]

10. Monsterman79

Monsterman79 New Member

Doesn't look to bad, its hard to tell but if your bearing seal is still intact I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

11. BL4Z3

BL4Z3 New Member

Im probably just being paranoid ,..I have never actually done an entire teardown ,..& Im kinda scared Ill screw something up ,...lol
    I know Ill have to do it sooner or later though...

12. Monsterman79

Monsterman79 New Member

Ah don't even sweat it the Slash 4x4 comes apart really easily and back together just the same.. It will be a walk in the park I am sure.