1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solder a frame and vanquish? Strong enough?

Discussion in 'RC Chat, Tutorials, Ideas, Requests, Etc' started by jawehner1419, May 12, 2015.

1. jawehner1419

jawehner1419 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

So that is my question. If i took steel rod, belt it, then used solder, flux, and a propane torch would a it hold up to bashing or would the solder points break after a few hits? Also would vanquish solid axles take a bashing.

So would the joints break apart and would the gears and the axle housing hold up?

2. jawehner1419

ELiTE MEMBER

Or could i take a roll cage (integy pede 2wd [series 1?]) and add steel to that to make a frame? And then repaint it?

3. jawehner1419

ELiTE MEMBER

4. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

if you want to soldier the cage together . You will need to use silver soilder for it to hold up well ... electrical and plumbing soldier are too soft .
    to use the silver soldier you will need either a Map gas torch or a
    acetylene and oxygen torch setup with the soldiering tip

from what ive heard the integy cages are not very tough . but no first hand experience with it for myself

5. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    My method for cage building thus far has been to use aluminum. Downfall is it is softer and can bend easier than steel rod. The plus side is it is very easy to bend into shape and braze with a small torch requiring lower heat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually I may move to steel and brazing rod but for now this seems to work very well.

6. jawehner1419

ELiTE MEMBER

I found a 160 dollar mig i might pick up and get that cage and go from there. We shall see.

drzoo2 likes this.
  7. Feenix509

Feenix509 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

If you getting a mig I wouldn't be very hard to weld a cage from scratch it could be stronger depending in the rods you weld to get her and if you weld it correctly plus that way its unique and you personally know just how tuff it is. More often then not the strength or it would be based on more rod then weld

8. Goblintinker

Goblintinker Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

first of all have you ever welded before? If not your going to have a lot of problems. mig welding takes a lot of practice especially on small rod/tube you would be better off trying to braze a cage or reinforcing a cage

drzoo2 likes this.