1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solid Axles V.S Independent suspension.

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by DaJudn, Apr 10, 2014.

1. 6sharky9

6sharky9 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Whats a Jeep or a Toyota?..FORD RULES ALL!!!! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Davy120

Davy120 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Yea ifs is garbage, they are very limited (the 4wd models) i had a 01 ram 1500 with a solis front axle and thing was amazing offroad, now i have a 03 ram 1500 with ifs 4wd and ive broken two cv axles so far doing the same stuff i did with my 01. Really depends on what you wanna do.

As for owning an fj or the new jeeps i agree 100% the new jeeps are such a joke, but id take a 99 jeep anyday over anything if it was strictly for crawling, otherwise ill stick to my dodge lol

3. dna4engr

dna4engr Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The real problem here isn't ifs vs solid axle it's that the thread highjackers forgot that were talking about. It's RC. It's a different playing field with rigs that are 1/10 the size but no where near 1/10 the power/weight ratio (I.e much much more than a 1:1).
    All things being equal, an ifs and a solid axle RC truck can usually do the same terrain. Some more technical areas might be better accomplished by a solid axle. Some more speed and handling related terrain is easier with ifs.
    You can bombproof an ifs on an rc and do the same on a solid axle.

Ifs: (how I did my wraith with an exo front end)
    Al bulkhead - $40
    Mip shafts - $40
    Traxxas slash MiP outputs -$20
    Rpm lower arms - $12
    Strc knuckles and hubs - $52
    Axial HD gears $25
    Grip fab locker - $22
    Axial al caster block - $18
    Total - about $230

Solid axle:
    Al housing - $70
    Vp vvds - $95
    Al chubs and knuckles - $50-70
    Axial HD gears $25
    Locking spool - $22
    Bearing caps - $13
    Diff cover - $25 (average)
    Total - about $300

So when you lay the numbers out. Bomb proofing an ifs front end is actually cheaper than a solid axle rig. Key assumption is that this is the cost to bomb proof. Not the cost to create a solid axle or ifs wraith from scratch. I've don't both things above. One on my swamp rat build and the other on my ifs wraith. That wraith is taking a beating now after the snow has melted and its holding up strong. I do have more money into the swamp rat than the wraith and they both are very fun.

I just remembered a key difference that should be considered. The steering throw. A wraith axle has much much more lock to lock steering than any ifs setup in RC. This is important I'd you are worried about time on a run. If you just crawl for fun. The. You just need to backup a little more to get your line right.

Dna

4. SCX10BEAST

SCX10BEAST Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Sorry about highjacking dna kinda forgot we where talking about rc lol

5. dna4engr

dna4engr Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

No worries man. I just want to make sure we're answering the original question. Once that's done, we can debate away.
    :haveaniceday:

6. SCX10BEAST

SCX10BEAST Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Lol alright thanks

7. Davy120

Davy120 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

You have a valid point haha

but stock for stock id prefer the solid axle on a crawler/scaler. Ive yet to break either of my current trucks solid axles, but with my kyosho ultima db (short course buggy) i snapped atleast one tie rod a race lol then again they were stock and not bomb proof.

8. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    ive run totally stock maxstone 10 axles in my rig with the exception of converting to a axial locker and ive beat the hell out of it and only just now rebuilt the front axle after over a year without cracking it open at all. if I had done proper maintenance it probably would have lasted a lot longer, with my nephews Kalahari, which is full independent, after less than 4 months ive had to replace parts including the entire rear diff.in my opinion independent is best for high speed applications like desert racing and solid axles are best for slower more technical stuff like crawling

9. minierevo

minierevo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i have an 87 toyota pickup with IFS and it works great offroad i can say for rc use the 4wd offroad vehicles i have are a mini erevo and a 1/8 scale buggy the rest is 2wd drive

10. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

back to the original question ...why are axles better for crawling ? .... #1 articulation #2 keeping the center of gravity low .

11. Owen725

Owen725 New Member

Solid axles also help with ground clearance because neither wheel can 'sink' above the axle independently- they're stuck at a certain ground clearance measure with the axle and diffs

12. Smith18

Smith18 New Member

When in a bind it is easier to crush diffs on independent. (We do it all the time in rzrs) the solid axle rigs are tuffer no doubt