1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something isn't right...

Discussion in 'Newbe Help' started by Mikecal, May 4, 2013.

1. Mikecal

Mikecal Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ok so here it is. I took mine out last night thru some mud, i was some real sticky stuff, and after about 5 min the truck just stopped. For it to start up again I had to roll it by hand a little ways and then it would pick up and go again...that happened about every 5-7 min. I went home took the motor out and cleaned it in a cup of water. Cleaned all the bearings and relubed them and yata yata...All seemed well till after I put it back in and tried to run my rig again...forward it was ok but kinda creeping a bit, in reverse it had no drag break at all. Neways, long story short I installed a new axial 27T and it works just like new. Is there a way to prevent you're motor from doing that? Something I can put over it so actual mud won't get on the brushes? Sorry so long haha but I need help, I don't to be buying new motors every other two weeks or so haha

2. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    A peice of Stocking !! (Pantyhose) it allows the motor to breathe but keeps the large chunks of mud out.. Can catch fire if not kept damp lol...

or alternatively buy an Inexpensive Rebuildable motor from Integy or RC4WD and just rebuild after each mud run... Brushes cost like $10...

#2 Magnat007, May 4, 2013
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
  3. Mikecal

ELiTE MEMBER

Catch fire?!?!!? So if I'm not rutting in water and or mud I should wet it a little before I run my rig? Haha

4. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Just Remove it from the motor for a dry run..
    Keep it with you and put it on when it gets muddy or wet..

5. Mikecal

ELiTE MEMBER

Ok thanks magnat007

6. Mikecal

ELiTE MEMBER

Where can I buy the brushes? Sorry man but I'm kinda new to all this...like a step above a newbie...haha

7. cavy4dayz

cavy4dayz Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

your LHS (local hobbie shop) or you can order them online.I think you Can get them at rc 4wd or ebay I beleave. I had the same problem with my motors I went threw 2 axial 27 turns cleaning and relubing as much as you ca with a sealed motor.I eventually just started buy cheap 15 turns for 15 bucks. It is a pain but i dont see anyother options

8. tcp57fd

tcp57fd Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah I had the same problem and that's my answer just put a stocking on and I just will by the 10 dollar motors if I bought a 50 dollar motor I wouldn't have any fun I would worry about it two much lol the stockings will greatly improve the life of a motor

9. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Buy a rebuildable and keep the non rebuildable one as a back up...
    I have drowned my Integy Pro lathe too many times to count and it still keeps on going..
    My HPI X-35 motor was in a HBX Bonzer and my SCX10 for a total of 5 years and it still goes good... its just it needs new brushes and time for me to rebuild it and re-tube it..

10. Mikecal

ELiTE MEMBER

Alright sweet guys...thanks for the responses...I've added a piece of stocking to my tool bag I bring out with me

11. Mikecal

ELiTE MEMBER

[​IMG]

That's what it looked like while it lasted....awesome fun tho....worth the ruining of the motor haha

12. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    never EVER go mudding unless you get it on Vid for us to see !!

13. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Yea what he said! Lol I cant really say much though I didn't even think to record my first trail run.

14. Mikecal

ELiTE MEMBER

Ok guys so I replaced the motor as you all know and used the stoking and went for a lil swim...SAME THING HAPPENED...is time my servo started acting weird too...it would only turn if I was going in reverse...what the hell is going on? Haha neways all works well now...down to my last axial motor, about to order a rebuildable and some extra brushes and go from there...can neone send me a link to where I can get the brushes? I've looked but can't seem to find any? Hope this works!!!:tttt:

15. memphis m3z

memphis m3z Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

if you used the stocking and it still happened you might have a different problem. maybe a short somewhere. im not sure what else could cause such an issue because i have never experienced anything like you are saying with having the same issue multiple times. as for the servo thing that is very strange that it only work in reverse because the servo has no idea what direction the truck is going it only knows what it is told by the tx maybe the inner board got wet and it was starting to glitch. im not sure if you can replace the brushes in an axial motor i have never tried to do it.

[​IMG]

this is what i did to keep mud out of my motors its a very fine screen and wid the added bonus of not being flammable

16. Mikecal

ELiTE MEMBER

That's a good idea...is it an aluminum screen or just the screen you put on let's saga pool cage? My servo is working fine now. I thought it might have been something else as we'll but you can actually hear the motor squeaking. Maybe water is getting in the connectors from the motor and ESC and its shorting out. Who knows. Neways thank for all the help guys

17. memphis m3z

memphis m3z Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

It is steel screen I use them at work as filters for molten plastic to keep contaminants like dirt and metal shavings out of the finished product I'm not sure where else you could pick up such a fine screen

18. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

You can pick up screen like that from just about any hardware store. Probably just ask for some scraps.

19. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Without seeing some Video evidence its hard for me to say whats happening...

Water could be getting into your servo, It could be making the reciever damp... there are just SO many factors..

The Steel mesh looks good.. maybe fly screen could be used ??

20. dna4engr

dna4engr Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

A company called outerwears makes motor covers along with there other covers. They perform the same function as what people have posted above. Another option is to go brushless with a sealed can motor. Since they don't have brushes they don't get bogged down like a simple brushed motor. Check out what DJ (aka rcengineer) did for his ttc truck. Simple 2000 kv brushless motor with a waterproof esc from hobbyking. Since there are not any brushes, you can seal up the can with some silicone and it should keep all water out.

This is the more expensive option but may be better than buying a stable of motors.