1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spur and pinon gear question

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by DivineChaos, Oct 25, 2015.

1. DivineChaos

DivineChaos Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

2. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

3. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

4. BenFink

BenFink Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    All you really need to do is make sure the gears are the same size, if you have changed the tires that could be a factor in them getting worn so quick. let me look at those gears and find some good replacement one's.

5. BenFink

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Gears are measured in Turns (T) you have a 54T Spur gear and a 15T pinion gear as far as I know all spur gears are plastic but some have a higher plastic quality than others and most pinions are made out of some type of metal. Bigger tires need different turn ratios than smaller one's. Brush less and brushed motors also have an impact.

6. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

Could the tires being full of water be a factor? It's a factory setup. I did buy sealed headlock rims. It's a nylon reinforced spur and brass pinion.

7. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

My motor shaft is .125"/3.14mm and if the spur was to go directly on the shaft the shaft is .315"/8mm with flatspots on both sides.

8. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

Would this steel spur work? http://m.ebay.com/itm/261899456455 or would it be too heavy for my 3500kv brushless on a 3s Lipo.

9. BenFink

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I think that gear should work, it depends on what pinion gear you have too. Since these are the same ratio of gears that came with it they probably are good for the size of your car. I don't know how to adapt it for brush-less but the smaller the pinion and the bigger the spur gear the slower it goes, but with the slower set-up it gives it more power.

Please let me know if you know how to install a motor. When you did upgrade it did you set the gear mesh correctly?

I don't think your supposed to put the spur gear on the motor... That ratio would be an insane speed but give you little to no force and probably end up stripping the gear, if you have a gear ratio like that its power wouldn't be able to move much weight at all.

Water in the tires would make it harder to move and all that stress ends up on the gears. Again the gear ratio is what would decide if that is ok or not. if its not a lot of water it might be ok because it doesn't give it too much resistance. That is just what I imagine in my head so I could be wrong.

#9 BenFink, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  10. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

It was factory brushless. And it's 15 tooth pinion and the 52 tooth spur. My tires weigh 3 times more with the water and sand in them. I think I didn't set mesh properly. I just don't know if that spur would fit on my main shaft. It's 8 mm.

11. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

Maybe a typo @ benfink
    But gears are not measured in turns . the t is the toothcount. Turns is the t on motors which is equal to how many wraps of wire is on each armature.

walter likes this.
  12. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

I already knew that. Just didn't want to correct him. Lol

walter likes this.
  13. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

its cool to correct people here just do it nicely . we all make mistakes . I know i have

walter likes this.
  14. BenFink

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Yeah I figured I screwed that up, I had that feeling it was wrong and couldn't remember what the right word was. It was also on my mind because I have been shopping for a new motor. I also have to replace my pinion because the guy I bought it from completely stripped the screw that holds it on the motor. I had to use pliers to get it off.

Y2daT likes this.
  15. BenFink

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The gear mesh is probably the issue, that gear is advertised as the right gear for your car but from what your saying it sounds like its the wrong size. I would probably try it out and if it doesn't fit then maybe drill it out although I don't know how much of an option that is. I would also recommend contacting the product seller to double check its size and if its not correct after purchase asking him and letting him know.

16. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

Kinda a tangent question. How would I wire a heatsink and fan on my brushless motor? I only have a 3 channel radio.

17. BenFink

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Are you already using up all three channels? I know you would plug the fan into there. I have never mounted a heat sink before but I am planning on doing that soon. I think you could by a splitter for the channels if you needed to. I do have some extension cords for my receiver so if that's the issue you have i'm sure you can find those.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd splitter&qid=1446045725&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

That's what I have found.

18. BenFink

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  19. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

20. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

I would think to use a bec for the fan if the esc does not have a fan output.
    or use a Y cable to tap the power coming from the esc's internal bec ... ( Y cable on throttle channel only using the black and red wire.) .
    TO get the most heat transfer for the heat sink . Use thermal compound in between the heat sink and the motor housing . also known as thermal grease it can be found at most any PC parts store or website

#20 Y2daT, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015