1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spur gears

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by ThatCraig, Apr 5, 2016.

1. ThatCraig

ThatCraig Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I know my spur gear will be the next to go. Since I'm buying all steel gears for front/rear axles, an transmission gears. I'm looking for a spur gear set to order tonight. So I'm seeing aluminum gears an aluminum adapters for my scx10. Can anyone help me with choosing the best upgrade here? Idk what tooth count mine is there is 57t an 88t I'm guessing?

2. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    so stock it is 32pitch, 56t spur and 13t pinion. I would use steel not aluminium. Hot racing is pretty trustworthy, also robinson racing is excellent
    the gears will have the tooth count on them typically

3. ThatCraig

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Is rpp Robinson?

DivineChaos likes this.
  4. ThatCraig

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Should I upgrade the spur? I have a 20t motor an it's tearing everything up.

5. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I for a fact on my ax 10, I tore up the transmission gears, too cheap to go to metal. I mean it can't hurt to upgrade the spur, hot racing makes one for like $20.

6. ThatCraig

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I need the spur an pinion on just spur to get everything to steel?

7. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The pinion is steel, the internal transmission gears are plastic. The robinson spur gear looks a little tricky to setup, I would say the HR part is decent, I mean it appears to be a drop in part.
    but really tho, I wouldn't run a metal spur, I have only torn up 1 spur gear, they do last quite a long time even the plastic ones, but I mean I don't have experience running a metal spur gear in any of my trucks, but it may work out for you. Actually agghh I am not sure if that will fit
    I am not used to the scx10 trans case, the ax10 is a little different now... I don't want to give out false advice

#7 Spence123, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  8. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    double post

9. ThatCraig

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    My rig hasn't came back home yet without something broke. Going on three months

10. ThatCraig

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Your good. I'm asking a few others for feedback. But thanks I'll prolly go with HR so I have HR though the whole truck.

11. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Up grade your trans gears for sure. I like to leave my spur plastic, (Engineered breaking point) With that said if your spur mesh is proper it should last you a long, long time. When it does wear out I replace mine with Traxxas 32p spur. It is a little tricky to install you can use the stock hardware just remove the washers on the m3 screws. And start all three screws, just get them started. Then tighten them one half a turn at a time then the next screw one half a turn, ect until all screws are tight.

As far as the ratio, tooth count goes. More info is needed. What motor are you running, brushed, brushless, are you using LiPos, how many cell LiPos, What are your intentions with the truck, FoFFer, Scale Trail, Class 2 or 3, Ultra 4 or something else...

If you want a superb crawler, climber then you might want to consider a over, under drive on your difs.

Dean

#11 RustyWrench, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    scalemadness likes this.
  12. ThatCraig

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    2s Lipo 20t motor an hill climbs mostly

13. RustyWrench

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:

14. RustyWrench

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Not sure what happened here... lol.

DivineChaos likes this.
  15. ThatCraig

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I decided to keep everything stock for now but it's gonna be steel gears all the way through by next week. I got a 56t steel spur coming now. I'm scared of the under an over because of the way I run it.

16. scalemadness

scalemadness Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Not sure how the spur is getting destroyed especially with 32p sounds like a mesh issue Ive been running the same 32p spur on my tf2 for 2.5 years through sand mud all sorts of crap and my sealed can motors go but never a spur and on the tf2 its completely exposed to the elements.

RustyWrench likes this.
  17. ThatCraig

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The spur is fine, but the 20t motor stripped the tranny gears so I figured I'd get a spur gear to save time if it stripped it out.

18. DivineChaos

DivineChaos Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I went a few weeks with stuff breaking. And 20t motor is a bit much. Your rig wasn't made to go that fast. Main upgrade parts. Metal links, steering links. Hd axle gears, better locker/spool, Metal trans gears, stronger driveshafts. 32p spur and pinion. 13t 56t . Metal hubs and lockouts. And you shouldn't be destroying your spur fast. It took me a get tries to set mesh right. I've done it by eye for a bit now. I could hear it munching mud. And I run a 3300 kv on 3s. Gobs of torque. Thinking of trying 4s. Hehe.

19. ThatCraig

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    What rig you running that setup in? I pretty much got all those upgrades except shafts. But can yoh tell me why my truck is turning left fine but coming out of a left turn to go right it only turns right enough to go straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. DivineChaos

DivineChaos Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

My wraith. Will do bout 30mph. Pull off your servo arm. Center your steering trim. Reattach your arm. Maybe it skipped. If that doesn't help maybe you need a new servo. The stock ones aren't that great. Mine burnt out fast.

#20 DivineChaos, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016