1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Started RC this summer: Lotta dumb questions coming up...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by Buskboy, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Buskboy

Buskboy Member

Hi, I'm Al and I'm from Muskoka Ontario. There's lots of varied terrain as well as lakes, everywhere, here, so I enjoy almost every type of RCing. Still collecting but I have a rock crawler, a P .Slash and a touring car by Tamiya. Also a Proboat Stealthwake which is in the shop for a motor upgrade. Thank you for having me in your forum, Guys.

sweet rc likes this.
  2. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

welcome to the forums

3. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    welcome to the forum. :)

4. Dalton Brenneke

Dalton Brenneke Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    welcome to the forum

5. sweet rc

sweet rc Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Welcome! Sounds like your off to a good start :)

6. Polaris425

Polaris425 Moderator
    MODERATOR ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    WELCOME! The only dumb question is the one not asked.

7. Buskboy

Buskboy Member

So I picked up a set of shocks which I had to build and that was a first for me. I watched a lot of Tubes to get a good, overall view of building shocks and felt confident diving in. I found that when complete, it's possible to have the shocks extend naturally to their fully extended position (pardon my grammar) and, though I was very careful to remove all evidence of air, once together the shocks only push back out about 25% of their length. Did I do something wrong or am I expecting too much? Are 50mm shocks not made to do that? Admittedly, I was hestitant about tightening the end caps too much. Is that possible, if just hand-tightened?

8. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I remember having similar issues when building my first set of shocks. There NEEDS to be some air inside. Oil is incompressible and there needs to be some space inside for the rod, most of which is outside when the shock is extended, and inside when compressed.

9. Buskboy

Buskboy Member

Could that space inside be in the form of a flexible diaphram? There's no air inside but pushing the shaft causes the diaphram to flex upward.

10. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Do you mean the seal inside the cap? Those sometimes have a little bump inwards, but that would mean there is air above it.

11. Buskboy

Buskboy Member

It does seal the fluid inside but it's concave shaped and flexible - very thin. The cap holds it in place and when the shaft is pushed upward, presumably the oil pushes the diaphram upward. Afterward the diaphram pushes the oil & piston down about a quarter of its travel length.

12. Buskboy

Buskboy Member

Been rebuilding a Tamiya M-06 by changing all of the suspension parts to aluminum and the tolerances are much tighter now. coupled with those shocks from above, the chassis outruns its old self by a mile. I'm very pleased with the improvements so far but in working on it I discovered my 'Hi Torque' steering servo has a lot of play in it (You can grab the horn and wiggle it sideways) so I'll be swapping it out shortly but I need some advice. The current servo is equipped with a servo saver. Just what was it saving and should I bother to install one with the new servo? So far it's been nothing but a nuisance in keeping the car running straight. Does anyone run a Tamiya 06 chassis without a servo saver?

#12 Buskboy, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017