1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steel Framed Mud Truck!

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by mud, May 1, 2013.

1. firefighter3

firefighter3 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Lol!!!! Nice doggy!!! Oh and your truck look's way cool with the new tire's!:)

2. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks. And yeah, he's a good boy.
    I probably should explain the Thor/Odin reference, I named my dog Odin, because a while back I had a Shepherd named Thor. And in Greek mythology, Odin is the son of Thor. Just for those that didn't know.

3. firefighter3

ELiTE MEMBER

That is cool!!

4. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

:confident: I just want to see this beast drive through some deep mud! Im thinking about getting an SCX10 chassis and building a mud truck out of it. So don't be mad if I borrow some of your designs!

5. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have no problems if you copy any of my ideas. I'd take it as a compliment, cause that means something I did was a good idea! :slow:

6. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well, turns out the plastic truck bed failed :faill: so I had to go back to my roots, and make a steel box. But 1/8 would be to heavy, with the four sides and bottom. So instead I made it out of galvanized. Instead of welding it, becasue it's so thin, I used 1/8 rivits. So here comes the photos!!!

7. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The galvanized piece that I used.

[​IMG]

I cut it with some tin snips. I did it wide so I could fold two sides, and cut two pieces that the rivits would hold. Here it is assembled.

[​IMG]

I cut a piece of rubber to lay inside, because every truck owner knows that the first thing you do with a new truck, is put a one piece rubber bedliner in it :X

[​IMG]

I painted the bottom black. It took a few coats, so the galvanized wouldn't shine through.

[​IMG]

And there it is.

[​IMG]

I'm liking this better than the plastic box I made yesterday. Now I just need to paint the inside of the box, stick it to the body, and done!

8. firefighter3

ELiTE MEMBER

That look's SWEEEET!!!:)

9. Juswin24

Juswin24 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

And of course you just had them twin hammers laying around too! Are watching the new show Vikings?

10. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks a bunch. I really like the steel bed better. It's really turning out well.

Oh trust me, I have a lot more then 2 hammers. :haveaniceday: The ones pictured just sit on my bench. At my shop, you need an arsenal of hammers. Everything from the mighty sledge for pounding the big sheets of steel, to the cut down sledge for when your in a tight spot, but need to pound the jabeezes out of something.

I haven't heard of the Vikings show. Is it on Discovery channel? I'd be interested in watching it.

11. Juswin24

Juswin24 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

It's one of those channels and comes on Sunday night at ten o'clock. It does repeat a lot during the week. Just checked, it's on History channel.

12. bongofish

bongofish Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Looking great man. Really admire your talent. I wish I had that kind of patience!

13. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out. I like watching dem history shows.

I really appreciate it. Thanks for checking it out and commenting. As far as patience goes, It's not easy. I really want this to turn out the way I hope it does, so I'm going slow and careful. Those are two things I am not known for.

14. firefighter3

ELiTE MEMBER

I used to be that way but as we get older we learn.I will keep checking in for up dates.She's looking really good for what you have done so far.I meant to tell ya this before,my sister and her family live around the Twin Cities.:)

15. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Look forward to your input. And the Twin Cities are a great place to live. It has it's bad spots, but what major metropolitan area doesn't. I like it cause I like the seasons, and enjoy the cold. I like winter, I'm not a warm weather person. :) although I'd choose the Nevada dry heat over our muggy humid days. Hate humidity....

16. firefighter3

ELiTE MEMBER

I'm actually from Upper Michigan.When i got out of the Marines i moved down to St.Paul.I drove armoured truck's for American Security Corp.Last place i lived before i moved out here was Woodbury.If i didn't have my son i would have moved back there.

17. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I see. Then your very familiar with cold and snow.I have a couple friends that live in the Woodbury/Stillwater area. Beautiful scenery. I have a kid too, an 11 year old daughter. I can see how that will keep you from moving. And finally, Semper Fi Marine...granted I was a Marine for about 28 days or so. Damn medical evaluations.
    :slow:

18. firefighter3

ELiTE MEMBER

COOOL!!! Well once a Marine always a Marine! Semper Fi!!!!:haveaniceday:

19. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Not much to report. I did get the box attatched to the body using some heavy duty epoxy called panel bond. I know it's tough, because I've dropped the body twice so far (I'm clumsy sometimes) and painted the inside black.

[​IMG]

This weekend I'm doing some shopping for some scale items. So Monday will be a busy day showing everyone what I have. Have a good weekend eveyone, and don't forget, Sunday is mommas' day!

20. IronDragonSC

IronDragonSC Member

Man if you hate the humidity well can't blame ya I don't care for it much either. Sweet truck I like custom monster truck look it has.