1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STRC LCG conversion kit for the Traxxas Slash 4x4

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by kbslater, Dec 6, 2012.

1. kbslater

kbslater New Member

I didn't see this posted anywhere else on the site after a search so if this is a duplicate or posted in the wrong area please direct me to the appropriate place.

Here is a link to the write-up on the development of the chassis.

Here are a few pictures of the completed chassis.

What I started with.
    [​IMG]

The roller.
    [​IMG]

Electronics.
    [​IMG]

The driveshaft.
    [​IMG]

Spectrum receiver mod that accepts the stock antenna tube.
    [​IMG]

With the body.
    [​IMG]

HD time lapse of it conversion.
    Slash 4x4 STRC Low Center of Gravity Time Lapse - YouTube

Regular version of the video.
    Slash 4x4 STRC Low Center of Gravity Time Lapse - YouTube

2. Akkip

Akkip Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Dayuum!

Your truck looks amazing!
    What was the total convertion costs?

3. kbslater

kbslater New Member

Thanks Akkip!

Yikes!!! I hadn't really added it up since I have been buying parts over the last four months. Plus it wasn't all my money per say as I used gift money to buy some of the parts. For what I have put on the truck including the following items.

STRC Chassis
    STRC Aluminum Upgrades
    Tekon Driveshaft
    Traxxas Turnbuckles
    RPM Bumpers / Skid Plate
    ProLine Shocks / Springs
    JConcepts Tires / Wheels
    Tekin ESC / Motor
    JConcepts Body / Paint
    Spektrum DX3c
    Screwz SS screw set

Total came out to $1143 :ouch: this includes sales tax when purchased from LHS but does not include shipping when purchased online. The only things left on the truck that are still stock Traxxas parts are the front/center/rear differentials, CVDs, c-hubs and front/rear carriers. I am sorry you asked me that now. :XD:

Kevin

4. Akkip

Akkip Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well, its a lot of money, but you sure got yourself a one af a kind Slash, i havent seen any slash to date thats so rigged up as yours. Beautiful Machine
    All we need now is a running-video!

Cheers

:haveaniceday:

5. kbslater

kbslater New Member

Thanks again Akkip, I really enjoyed building it and to me thats what the hobby is about. I'll get a running video as soon as I can but don't have a time line on that yet.

Kevin

6. ArmySSG

ArmySSG New Member

Kbblaster fancy seeing you here lol! The way I convince myself to keep spending is.. If it were my real car.. Hmm rims and tires 3k, paint 5k, engine and misc stuff 7-10k lol.. Wewh 1100 doesn't seem so bad! My chassis is awaiting my arrival in Alabama... But my foreseeable problem, I have some stripped screws n my SSC chassis, anyone know a great way to get them out without completely rage quitting my slash lol

Sent from my iPhone4

7. kbslater

kbslater New Member

Hey Army good to see you here too! Still after Akkip asked I didn't want to actually figure it up! :haveaniceday:

As for your screw problem is the head stripped or the screw itself stripped. If they are they button head screws you might be able to get a grip on them with vise-grips and be able to spin them out. If not then they sell screw extractors that actually dig in to the screw and allow you to back it back out.

Kevin

8. ArmySSG

ArmySSG New Member

Well I will have build pics after Xmas no epic video like yours but before and after at least lol.. As time goes by ill b able to upgrade shock towers, shocks, etc but until then ill roll with what I got lol

Sent from my iPhone4

9. ArmySSG

ArmySSG New Member

As promised! The heatshrink really helped clean up the wiring.. What do u think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. kbslater

kbslater New Member

Looks good Army, heat shrink makes it nice and clean. Now we just need a shot with the body!

Kevin

11. ArmySSG

ArmySSG New Member

As promised!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. kbslater

kbslater New Member

Very nice! Love the graphic going down the center. I assume its a vinyl, where did you get it? Also love the Deadmau5!!!!

Kevin

13. ArmySSG

ArmySSG New Member

Nope all hand painted lmao.. But no seriously it's a vinyl I went to the place where they do graphics for cars, the little decals that you see on people's windows... And sent the image of the sticker bomb and he printed it off with some nice vinyl.. I'm getting a full color version for the underside of the STRc chassis when I get back to GA

14. Daddy

Daddy New Member

Hey kbslater why did you go with the 3300kv motor and not the 4600kv..??? And have you evr run that lcg set up with the 4600kv..?? I am currently building the same set up ;-)

15. bthomas

bthomas New Member

If you go to traxxas they have a parts list to convert the slash 4x4 to the LCG. here is the link
    1/10 rally to slash 4x4 conversion question

It only cost around $70 to convert if you use your existing motor, esc, servo, ect... The post is by a traxxas tech support person, I talked to him in person about this and those parts are all it takes. the traxxas in this post from kbslater does look amazing, great job, but if you are on a budget and want the proformance of the LCG setup, $70 and some time is all it takes.

16. ArmySSG

ArmySSG New Member

Or for $30 more u can have an aluminum and carbon fiber chassis instead of the traxxas plastic..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Fr8cture

Fr8cture New Member

$30 is alot when your on a budget.

18. ArmySSG

ArmySSG New Member

True true I'm still slacking on a lot because of my budget I plan to get the MIP CVDs, Losi 10-T shocks, one day the RX8/Pro4 setup, new servo, etc.. Lol I just like the chassis and regardless of what u currently have its an awesome first major upgrade..

19. MountainMan

MountainMan New Member

I know this thread is a little old, but I want to buy a Slash 4x4 and make it look something like this for pro sct racing. I hope to be there someday anyways. I was wondering if you would recommend this over the SSC LCG Chassis.

20. ArmySSG

ArmySSG New Member

Sort for such a late response but the SSC chassis is designed for technical tracks, it's great and a new model for the slash is coming out soon.. But if money is an issue than I'd go with the STRC, I haven't had any issues with it at all but like I said Mark and his team at SSC make a beastly race proven and LCG proven chassis that has been tested against the majority of other brands but still comes out on top..