1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspension problems on my new RTR SCX10 Jeep CRC

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Clive Thomas, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Clive Thomas

Clive Thomas New Member

Hi, Not exactly a Newbie in RC as i have been Racing/bashing/trailing RC buggies since the mid eighties but i am a relative newbie when it comes to Scale RC crawling. I have had my Wraith for three years now with no real issues but I was given a RTR Axial SCX10 CRC Jeep for Xmas and I noticed it drooped significantly from the left rear shock when standing, it was bought mail order and I can't be doing with the aggro of posting it back and waiting for it to be returned so would sooner fix it myself.

Has anyone else had issues with Axial shocks not being filled sufficiently? Also what grade Shock oil would you recommend for a mix of Rock Crawling and trailing? Eventually I will upgrade the shocks and some other parts but at the moment I will make do with what was fitted.

Only just ran it for the first time today and it lists heavier to the left when running so I presume that is Torque related.

thanks in advance for any help

2. Porkchopz28

Porkchopz28 Member

I had almost the same thing with my scx10 but it was more of a leak in the shock that caused the droop (one was completely empty). So I rebuilt shocks all around so they where even. I used a mix of 75w automotive gear oil and 5w motor synthetic oil. Not to concerned of the affects it will have on the shock as it is stock and will be replaced one day but for now the oil I mixed is working really good and no more leak. There is also a adjusting nut on the stock shocks.

3. Rav101810

Rav101810 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I had the same problem with my stock shocks. I have only had it for a couple of months and 3 of the shocks all leaked out and don't hold the truck up. I ordered new ones but will take these apart and try to fix for spares.

4. DivineChaos

DivineChaos Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The stock ones on my wraith leak too. When I got it new rtr the shocks had leaked the oil out. I've rebuilt them twice (never replaced the seals though) and they seem to be holding oil. Although they droop. Running 20w shock oil front and 10w rear. Just ordered the gmade piggyback shocks. Can't wait

5. Clive Thomas

Clive Thomas New Member

Hi, My Wraith shocks have the adjusting nut fitted but there is nothing on my SCX10 shocks or in the spare parts bag. I fixed it for now with a 3.8mm wide cable tie and will restock on shock oil to refill the shock.

6. Clive Thomas

Clive Thomas New Member

Hi, my Wraith shocks have never leaked in three years and there is no trace of oil on the SCX10 shocks so I can only assume they weren't built properly and will rebuild them when I get some more shock oil.

7. DivineChaos

DivineChaos Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Wow. Or oil was forgotten. Lol

8. scalegarages

scalegarages Member

Media:
    Try 30-35 wt

9. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

for the torque twist ,,,, you could try to put stiffer springs on the rear to try to fix the twisting
    and you could try the softest springs on the front to make up for the articulation you loose by adding the harder springs on the rear.. softer springs on front will give you a bit extra articulation in front..

Clive Thomas likes this.
  10. Clive Thomas

Clive Thomas New Member

Update on the issue.

I took the weak shock apart and found it only half full of oil. Have now topped it up and discovered that the adjusting nuts had been wound up so tight to the shock cap that I thought it was part of the shock body. Have now adjusted the spring tensions and taken a run around the rock course I laid out for my Wraith. Articulation is amazing and I am pleased to say that I have gone from being majorly disappointed with the SCX10 to being really impressed by its crawling capabilities.

Thanks for all the advice on this issue.

Porkchopz28, Monkeypiarat and walter like this.
  11. jokersinsanity

jokersinsanity Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Yea i had the same issue with the gront shocks on mine. Does urs have the same issue as mine where just before. full shock compression the cms links hit the servo arm?

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk