1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tales from the boat yard

Discussion in 'Boat Build Projects' started by Gromit, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nothings ever “finished”!

Gromit and walter like this.
  2. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

OK, that's why it felt so weird.

Meanwhile, I did some work on the Kauru:
    [​IMG]
    The lettering was applied with a calligraphy nib-pen. I#m not 100% happy with it, on the other hand, I've seen way worse paint jobs on real working vessels. The fender-planks are real wood, stained and distressed the same way as on the good old AEC Matador.

[​IMG]
    Several layers of burnt umber, sienna and iron-oxide red make it all a bit less plain.

[​IMG]
    And she's flying her colours now.

Now I need to replace the saggy rubber rigging (it seemed like a good idea at the time) by some serious stuff and she'll be fin...Oh, well, never mind.

Antho11 and walter like this.
  3. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Just getting the fleet ready for the boat show on Sunday. Puffin is all set up. A little ring was missing on the burner, which made it next to impossible to fire it up. After a lengthy talk on the phone with the maker we realized what was up, they sent the missing part and it made all the difference. Throw your incense sticks and these silly trees out of the window and get yourself a miniature steam engine. Makes the best Karma ever.

Stella Nova is ready to go. Let's see if there's any wind. I hope to find some jokers to help me set her up for her maiden voyage.

An unexpected challenge is finding Kauru's speed-controller. It seems to have disappeared, I turned over the apartment and have no idea where else it can possibly be. Also, I decided to paint the 5 pounds of fishing sinkers i use as ballast so i don't have to touch the actual lead. Problem is, the paint comes off very easily. I thouht it was a good idea to wrap it in something like a thin strip of cloth that's covered in glue and was breaking my head thinking about what to use. Fibreglass? Strips from an old shirt and wood glue? It took me a while till i realised not only that some clever guy invented sticky tape, but also I'm well stocked with it.

Antho11 likes this.
  4. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Tape to the rescue and steam FTW!

5. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

I’m back from the King’s playground.

In my hot contender for the humble-brag of the year award I teased that this…

[​IMG]
    (Picture from Wikipedia)

…is my new office.

Well, I was just half kidding. I’m working for a company restoring historic buildings and we restored a couple of rooms in the gatehouse (unfortunately it’s all terribly official and I am seriously not supposed to publish any pictures from the inside, so I’ll just link some from Wikipedia).

The “castle” itself is not as medieval as it looks, but can be described as a massive model-building endeavour: King Ludwig II (1845 -1886) of Bavaria was a great admirer of Richard Wagner’s operas and had a soft spot for heroic sagas. So logically he had a residence built in the 1870s, inspired by Lohengrin and Tannhäuser (check it out in detail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuschwanstein_Castle). He is known as the “Märchenkönig”, literally “Fairytale-King”, but to me the word Fairy-Tale has a lot of Hollywood-cheese to it. “Märchen” feels a lot more gritty, “-chen” is a german diminuitive, “Mär” is a rather old-fashioned expression for “story”, which has a much darker vibe to it (it’s pronounced like the “mare” in “might-mare”, after all). I connect “Märchen” mainly to the famous collection of folklore by the Brothers Grimm (I’m NOT talking about Heath Ledger and Matt Damon here), which are actually quite gruesome for children’s stories. Some think Ludwig was mad, but I’d call him an eccentric who turned his dreams into reality and employed a host of artists and craftsmen while other rulers rattled their sabres and thought about colonizing the world. He was quite unpopular with the Kaiser for his reluctance to join in the war-mongering.

We restored four rooms in the gatehouse, where the king himself had set up office from time to time to watch over his dream taking shape. My part was the documentation of the finished work. These guys fill in the gaps and damaged parts and paint it in such a way that it blends in perfectly. It does not look freshly painted and it takes an expert to tell what is really old and what isn’t.

[​IMG]
    The King’s apartment is above the crenellated balcony above the gate (Picture from Wikipedia).

[​IMG]
    Pretty much the view out of the back-window (Picture from Wikipedia).

So I hope it's forgivable to be terribly excited about working in one of the most iconic buildings in Germany, and even in the king’s actual office.

#25 Gromit, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Antho11 and walter like this.
  6. Tombsy

Tombsy Boat Racing Fanatic
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Wow absolutely stunning, unfortunately we don’t have the history over here, this is our closest “castle” The Banff Springs Hotel about an hour away. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gromit likes this.
  7. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Wöw! That is so freakin cool! The closest castle to me is my brothers Lego castle in the basement!

Gromit and walter like this.
  8. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Part two:

Coming back from the side-stepping to full-size castles. On Sunday we had a little boat show going on in Burghausen. The weather was promising to be lousy at first, but opened up around late morning, so those intrepid enough not be turned off by the rain had a nice day out sailing.

[​IMG]
    All packed up

[​IMG]
    Another castle butting in. This time a real medieval one, overlooking the lake.

[​IMG]
    Do you recognize this gatehouse? Hint: Milla Jovovich, Mads Mikkelsen and a film crew have been here a couple of years ago (this one’s from Wikipedia again)

My mom and her three foster-children tugged along, so I didn’t get much opportunity to sail myself, but Puffin ran probably more on that day than all the days before together. Pretty good that I installed the feed valve, which allows you to fill the boiler without waiting for it to cool down. So the “charging-time” is another plus of a steam engine vs. electric. Puffin got a little scar on the prow from slamming into a concrete embankment, but that’s a small price to pay for getting four children hooked.

[​IMG]
    Kauru and HMS Pike were there for display only, after the speed controller, borrowed from Turbinia, blew a fuse, probably due to lots of weed wound up in Kauru’s propeller.

[​IMG]
    Same scale as Kauru and Pike

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately I was too busy sailing to have a talk to the builders of these

Antho11 likes this.
  9. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

So, it's been a while...

and I've been up to something.

A while ago, I built a minimalist version of my steam-yacht Puffin, logically called the Booby, inspired by the classic Bowman-style pond-racers. It was built around a Regner Micro-Line steam engine, single cylinder, according to the minimalist style. Unfortunately, the engine does not have much power, and out at the lake, the slightest breeze cools down the boiler even more, and being a single, once it stops it stays stopped until someone pushes it. You could hop it up with gas firing, but with all the whistles and bells it gets close to a twin price-wise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I decided that the engine looks was better on the book-shelf than it performs on the lake.
    The hull will be converted to electric propulsion and get some deck detail inspired by the Victorian era torpedo boat Lightning (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Lightning_(1876))

So far, I did the painful part of taking off the deck and propshaft...

[​IMG]

...and modified the stern to a rounded shape:

[​IMG]

Tombsy likes this.