1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tamiya cc 01 troubles

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Sethhh, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Sethhh

Sethhh Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i dont know if this is the proper place for this, but please feel free to direct me to the right place! anyways.. on my cc 01 bronco, i was driving around the back yard and it started making a very loud clicking sound(mechanical like) when i drove forward. NOT in reverse though! only forward. if i go slow, normal sound. fast, loud clicking. so i took the rear axle off and was surprised! the differential screws were undone and the whole piece was spinning around totally disconnected. so i cleaned off all the dirt and stuff(made SURE to leave everything greased though!) got the screws back in and tightened them as best i could and tried it out and everything spun fine with no click. didnt drive it after that because it was late. got it back out today and the first time i drove it, it started that clicking sound again. there is no possible way that the REAR differential could have come undone again because i hadnt driven it! so i tried turning the drivetrain and all four wheels seemed to turn fine. but a few times one of the front wheels wouldnt turn. so.. do you think the front differential could have also come undone like the rear did..? i was going to check but i ran out of time and had to leave. and its NOT the tranny or motor. as i checked them both(every gear) last night when i fixed the rear diff. so i dont really know. my guess is the front diff maybe came loose also. im a newbie though so there may be something more complex that i missed

2. MightySilent

MightySilent Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I would check the screws in the front diff. If the screws back out again try using a bit of the blue loctite on them.

3. Sethhh

ELiTE MEMBER

alright. i figured it would probably have been the front diff. lol i was out trailing for the first time(got my first hobby-grade rc a few days ago) and i was having fun crawling up some hills and i hit a water pathway down the hill and did a few flips lol im sure thats what did it. next time i get some time, ill check it out. i bought it preassembled and the front diff is actually the ONLY thing that i havent taken apart yet lol

4. Slowrunner

Slowrunner New Member

Sounds like whoever built it didn't know how to tighten screws!

The front diff in the CC-01 is the one used in most of Tamiya's models, I haven't had any work loose in 20-odd years and I've never used threadlock on them.

5. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

if one front tire would not turn sometimes I would start at that wheel and check the axle joints then pull all the gears out and look for any thing thats broke. This would be a good time to lock the front axle if you want.

6. Sethhh

ELiTE MEMBER

well on my part, i was getting a little too excited and bashed with my scaler lol i was crawling in the process though! :haveaniceday: but i have already taken all the wheels off and taken the hex hubs or whatever theyre called and put the pins back in. so ill have to take the diff out when i get some time. also..i dont know that i will be doing too much "intense" crawling. probably 70% trailing, 30% crawling so should i lock the front diff since im doing more trailing..?

7. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

locking the front will help in trail running . the only down side is it may not turn as good.

8. Sethhh

ELiTE MEMBER

ehh. why not. as long as i remember how to lock and unlock it lol im new to all this so i dont know how to lock them. but i would love to if you can explain how to! :haveaniceday:

im very adventurous. although it doesnt always end so well for me lol oh well. repairs are part of the fun! :yuush:

9. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

there was a post here somewhere that showed how. I left the front unlocked and used the locker that came with it in the back.

10. Sethhh

ELiTE MEMBER

the locker came with it..? i bought mine slightly used. and there are only like two piece ladders or whatever theyre called left. sooo i dont know if its still there or not. and what are the results of the front only being locked compared to the rear only? or both compared to neither..?

11. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Don't lock the front, lock the rear... Locking the rear will allow you to climb further on slippery terrain..

Do a complete diff pull down and re-assemble, next inspect closely the mesh between the pinion and the spur on the motor, for missing teeth...

Did it come with a Manual for it ?? If not I can get you a link where you can download a PDF for the Tourag CC-01 which will essentially be the same thing but with different tyres and body..

12. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

Is the rear axle locked on yours? if yu run one locked it is better in the back . You can download a manual from Tamiya if you do not have one , if you have one look on page 8 at the bottom of the page . The part# is G5 , the parts code for that bag of parts is 19005422 , I think that bag has all the gears in it .

13. Sethhh

ELiTE MEMBER

yes, i have the manual and what looks to be all the spare or leftover parts. and i checked for missing teeth. ill reinspect it though! :ninja:

and.. im new. soo.. youre gonna have to explain the complete diff pull down and re-assemble thing. and again, i dont know how to lock the diff. or if i even have the locker part lol

14. Slowrunner

Slowrunner New Member

diff pull down and re-assemble = take apart and put back together.

Front diff,

[​IMG]

Locking the rear diff with parts supplied in the kit (G5),

[​IMG]

I believe the G5 locking pieces can be used in the front diff aswell.

15. Mikemollic

Mikemollic New Member

I had the same issue with my rear diff and both my front and rears ar locked and check ur dog bones mine would pop out get stuck and the hole truck would not move and then may rear diff did what urs did

16. Sethhh

ELiTE MEMBER

if the G5 part is what locks it, then my rear diff is already locked..

ill check the dogbones though

#16 Sethhh, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  17. Mowgli

Mowgli Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Easy way to check if the axles are locked is to spin one tire and if the other tire on the same axle spins the opposite way it's not locked

18. Sethhh

ELiTE MEMBER

alright sweet. so my front is normal and rear is locked

19. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thats the best trailing configuration you can have so you still have a good turning radius and the locked rear end is giving you maximum traction in muddy or maximum rear articulation where one wheel comes off the ground.
    Re-assemble, re-inspect, if it is still occuring shoot us a video of the noise and the vehicle as the best way to help sort this out is to see it for our selves..
    Get a youtube account, upload your video, post the link in here and we will sort it out..

20. Sethhh

ELiTE MEMBER

alrighty. thanks for all the info guys. i wont be able to look at it tonight but i have a feeling the front diff came unscrewed like the back did.
    ill be sure to post an update