1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tamiya Hummer: will she crawl?

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by Gromit, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

A while ago i stumbled across the idea of blocking diffs with plasticene. I was just about to try that on a Tamiya Hummer chassis I have lounging around here.
    I have another silly body-building project in mind, for which this could be the right basis. But first, i want to check out how it crawls (I expect not too well).
    I just realized to my horror that this thing has a ball diff in the back and I wonder if the plasticene method would work here It should, shouldn't it? Or does anyone have any other good, and reversible, ideas?.

walter and Little Rascle like this.
  2. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I don't think plasticine would work. I know that some Tamiyas have interchangeable diffs. What model is it?

Gromit likes this.
  3. Bluedually

Bluedually Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Probably as well as a real one... poorly with lots of body on rock contact and with a lousy ride. I wish I still had my Tamiya Hummer, was a fun truck.

You could pop a couple of the bearings out and run a few bolts through it. But that isn't likely easily reversible if you don't like it.

Gromit likes this.
  4. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

I just did some research to find what the chassis is called, got quite a bit confused and came to the conclusion that it is either a TA 01 or TA 02, both of which are ON-ROAD chassis.
    I would not expect any crawling performance miracles of it anyway. Which is fair enough, since it you could call it "scale-performance". The bodywork i have in mind is an homage to my other favourite inventor (who, by some coincidence, is also typically wearing a green sweater), the most french of vans, outfitted as a globetrotting workhorse. So in real life it would mean driving a vehicle off road which is not at all meant for it.
    As for the diffs: front and rear seem to be interchangeable. I have for now filled them both to the brim with a very heavy sticky grease, which does not exactly block them, but offers some resistance.

walter likes this.
  5. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I just checked online and they make TA06 diff lockers for the gear diffs. If I'm not mistaken, the TA06 has interchangeable diffs front and rear. Going off of memory so not sure.

6. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Allright, another project that got overtaken by something completely different before it even started. Anyway, planning and brainstorming projects is half the fun, isn't it?

Meanwhile I learned that the Hummer chassis is actually an on-road chassis that is slightly misused to go off-road, and that its gear ratio is not really suitable for the Hummer's largish tires, so using even bigger tires might cook the motor. Locking the rear ball diff in a reversable way proved to be difficult. So lots of obstacles on the way to car of foreseeable extremely poor crawling capabilities?

DECISION:
    keep the idea of the globetrotting Citroen HY in the drawer for the future and another chassis and use this chassis for something else:

(drum roll)

THE HUMBUG!

[​IMG]
    I think it works

[​IMG]
    Ingredients: Hummer tires, suspension and gearboxes, a short wheelbase monocoque (which is normally used for some of the on-road bodies), Axial wheels, Sand Scorcher body

[​IMG]
    Time to think about body mounts and interior

Bluedually and Antho11 like this.
  7. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

looks cool

Gromit likes this.
  8. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media: