1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the monster 6x6 redo

Discussion in 'Road Giants 6x6/8x8/10x10' started by darkside0914, Feb 8, 2016.

1. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    as you know I started a 6x6 build last month. I rushed it , and it didn't come out like I wanted, so I decided to completely redo the build from the ground up, and do it properly this time. it's going to cost me more than I originally planed , but in order to get it the way I want it I will have to spend the money. because of my budget this may take a while so bear with me. now for the details on the new monster 6x6 build.
    the plan is to use as many parts I already have to do this build, these are what parts I have. 2 axial ar60 axles, the middle axle has already been converted, 2 120mm shocks 2 27in sections of c channel plus 2 17in sections, front and middle axle drive shafts, front and middle axle links, 6 maxstone 8 tires on rims converted to 12mm hex, 1 high torque servo. and 1 high torque 19.2v drill motor.
    now for what I need. 1 sheet 1/2in thick lexan/plexiglass, 1 axial ar60 front axle, 1 axial yeti/bomber transmission, 3mm brake line, 3mm all thread threaded rod, 4 angled rod ends, 4 straight rod ends, 4 90mm shocks, 1 rear drive shaft length unknown at the moment, 1 Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL esc, 2-2 cell or 3 cell lipo batteries, 1 set of scx10 chassis braces, 1 set axial rear shock hoops, 1 bull head body and all the stuff to make it purty, 1-1x12 board, 1-1x1 board, 1 sheet diamond plate aluminum, various screws, nuts, bolts, paint. 1 yeah racing trailer hitch. 1 maybe 2 high torque servos.
    the build plan. i'll use the 27in c channel I have for the frame, i'll use the sheet of 1/2in lexan as bracing, i'll cut and shape the lexan to fit the yeti/bomber transmission so it will be my trans mount, as well as my battery/electronics trays, the scx10 chassis braces are self explanatory, i'll make my own rear links, they will go from the center axle to the rear axle with the 4 90mm shocks in the rear and my 120mm shocks up front using the axial shock hoops. the c channel has a 3/4in flange on one side, i'll use this as a body mounting point and as a place to mount the flatbed using the 1x1 board, the bed of the flatbed will be the 1x12 covered with the diamond plate and screwed to the 1x1, I also plan a trailer for it but haven't worked out all the details for it yet. i plan to try 4 wheel steer first, hopefully it will work, otherwise i'll have to do 6 wheel steer, which means a bec will also be required, but it won't be selectable, I don't need to crab or anything fancy just go around a corner.

Antho11 likes this.
  2. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

Lexan is expensive ..if you could find a shop that makes boat windows and windshields from it you could get some scraps for free ... i know you do not need a 4'x8' x 1/2"sheet but they were in the 500.00 range 15 years ago. even a 2' x 2' sheet will not be cheap
    plexi glass is way cheaper but is tough to drill... it will do great until the bit pops out the back side . at that second if the bit snags it will bust ... i have used it in projects and would drill 3/4 of the way through then run the drill in reverse and bun my way through the last little bit . to avoid breaking the plexi glass .

3. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

darkside0914 likes this.
  4. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I found a place that sells small sheets on ebay, they have a sheet of 6inx6in for $9 no shipping. i just realized I only put 1 sheet of the lexan in my list, I meant 2. http://www.ebay.com/itm/301849662506?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Y2daT likes this.
  5. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    a bit of revision on the monster 6x6, I will not be using ar60 axles instead i'm going with mad torque moa axles, I feel this will be better in the long run since i'm planning a change in the length of this rig. easier to fit the new wheel base which will be around 35in front to rear, with a total length of around 42in, may change the body as well go with a king hauler cab rather than a bull head, but not sure yet, i'll still run the holmes brxl esc and after discussing it with @Y2daT I believe I can run 3 45t motors off it without problems, it will use a 3 cell and have 6ws as the mad torque axles are already set up for steering minus the servo and links, still going to run the maxstone 8 wheels and tires, with a possible upgrade to the 9.5 in tall rc4wd boggers or demolishers. I am going to require a much longer chassis so I will have to buy some new rails, and custom links around 36in long. still planning the flatbed and trailer though they will be longer than originally planned.

6. Hottaco92

Hottaco92 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Wanna sale them ar60 axels

7. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    a little update, as stated I plan to use the bull head as a body, thanks to another members thread I came up with the idea to make it a super cab, we'll see how it comes out because I have never attempted to modify a hard body before,

lout likes this.
  8. Rickleo

Rickleo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Wow sounds like you're building one big beast. My 6x6 chassis length will also be 36in. Lowe's has a variety of square tubing that are cut exactly 36in. You're planning on modifying your hard body. My suggestion is just be patient and plan your cuts. The good thing about styrene bodies they are very forgiving and mistakes can be fixed fairly easy. Believe me, I know. Good luck on the build and hope you'll be posting pics cause I want to see this beast and the progress.

9. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    heres a link to my original build of it, nothing seemed to come out right, that's why I decided a redo was in order http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/threads/starting-on-my-monster-6x6-finally.39074/

10. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

I think this time you're gonna get your 6x6 just like you want it to be. I read you were thinking of having 6x steering. I also am debating whether to do this or not. It'll be good for the turning radius of a 3 ft long rc truck but I'm also thinking I want the authentication of most old 6x6 with only front steering. Hard decision.

11. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    it is, but I wont have a choice, the tires i'm using are so big they nearly ripped the center axle out from under it making a turn on my 1st build attempt, so the only solution I have is 6ws. the tires on your project are nearly 3 inches shorter so other than a 4 or 6ws giving you a better turning radius you should be able to run fine with just front steer.

12. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

OK cool thanks. I ordered special dog bone shafts for the front. They say they're suppose to give a better turning radius. Your tires are 3in taller than mine! Well how tall is your protect all together?

13. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    not really sure, with the cut up torment body I used originally it was around 13in tall not sure how tall it will be with the bull head body, but probably a little more than that, say 14-15 in.

14. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    found a set of hex adaptors that go from 17mm to 23mm, these will save me money and headache as they will allow me to use the stock 17mm hexes on the mad torque axles with the 23mm hex on my maxstone 8 wheels. also did some pricing on materials for the chassis, if I use .5 in c channel I can get it pretty cheap, $11 U.S.D. for a 96in section, and they will cut it to length for me which saves me a lot of trouble, thanks home depot, not sure about a few other things, I think I will use stock scx10 tranny mounts, this will give me good mounting points for my axles, as well as electronics trays, and scx10 frame braces to keep everything at a standard width, the mad torque axles are 3 link, I will convert them to 4 link using an easy method I watched on you tube,

lout likes this.
  15. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    well an update after 5 months of doing nothing, I got a few of the biggest things done. all my axles are finally here and the frame is nearly complete, I have only links and electronics to get now along with 2 more stock ms8 shocks, that will give me a running rig, minus the body and rear deck. changed my mind about axles and body, i'm going to go with a king hauler body instead of the bull head, and the axles are ms8 stock units, went with them because I already had a good ms8 axle with metal gears, plus I wouldn't have to do any fab work to make them fit.

lout likes this.
  16. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    how it's going so far, still need to add a shark fin for the rear axle links to the frame, otherwise it's complete, then links, electronics and the body, not the one pictured
    [​IMG]

Y2daT likes this.
  17. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    did a little more work on this today, got the front axle solidly, and figured out my lower links on the center axle, i'm debating on how I want to do my 3rd axle links, I most likely will make a long shark fin and mount both upper and lower links to it,

18. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    update: got the center axle fully bolted down and preparing to get what's needed to mount the rear axle, and I would like to give you measurements, but it seems every tape measure in the house has vanished, so here's some pics to compare sizes.
    #1 project bull frog 10.5 in wheel base total length approximately 17 in
    [​IMG]
    #2 E10 with wraith axles, 13in wheel base total length approximately 18 in
    [​IMG]
    #3 HG-p601 6x6 with hpi mud thrasher tires, not sure of the wheel base total length approximately 25.5 in
    [​IMG]

lout likes this.
  19. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Damn.. Now the monster part becomes visible. That really brings home how long it really is!

darkside0914 likes this.
  20. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    yeah and I actually considered adding 10 inches to it, I don't think I need to. i've been debating on a body, I considered 3 options, a bull head body, a king hauler body, or shortening a 6th scale hummer hard body for the cab.