1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the monster 6x6 redo

Discussion in 'Road Giants 6x6/8x8/10x10' started by darkside0914, Feb 8, 2016.

1. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Personally I'd look at the 1/6th hummer. It would match up with your other 6th scale (the name of which escapes me right now) I keep thinking willies, but that's a jeep!

2. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    it's a 36 ford coupe, and I was thinking the same, go with the hummer, although a hummer isn't unique as an rc, a hummer extended cab flatbed 6x6, now that's something a little different.

lout likes this.
  3. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Or you could add the 10 inches to it and do this:

image.jpeg

:Grin: :Hides:

darkside0914 likes this.
  4. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    now that's a limo.

5. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    3rd axle lower links, done. they run from the regular link mount on the 3rd axle to the bumper mounts on the center axle, I'm not sure if I like the wheel gap though, may have to mod AKA bend the links a little to close it up a bit. it's only an inch, what do you guys think, too far apart or just right for this size truck? speaking of size, I found a tape measure and can give those sizes L-37in, W-15in, WB F2C-21in, C2R-8.5in, total wheelbase of 29.5in, ground clearance 6 3/8in, total height without body 10 7/8in. not sure of weight, I don't have a scale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lout likes this.
  6. rcnbenson

rcnbenson Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Reckon the gap is fine. This is one huge beast.

7. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    it's something I've been working on for awhile now, about 6 months or so, mostly planning and gathering parts, built it once wasn't happy and ripped it apart, decided to redo it right, and take my time this time, i'm happy with how it's coming along now. it's mostly do to the support and inspiration I get on the forum. if it wasn't for guys like @lout, @Magnat007 , @Freddy and a few others i'd still be only dreaming of doing my own custom rig, not building several at once.

lout and Magnat007 like this.
  8. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Oh.... WOW... now that would be an RC to be proud of... a Hummer H2 6x6 Flat bed !

9. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I was planning to either cut the body about midway down the back door and cut the rear even with the d pillar, reattach it to make an extended cab, or cut the body at the rear door back body line and bring the rear panel up to make a 4 door cab. I wish I had photoshop so I could show what I want to do.

10. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    used 2 maxstone/everest10 servo plates to make sharkfins for my 3rd axle upperlinks, turned out very good except the holes in the chassis are a little large and allow them to move a little back n forth. so I made braces to stop that, but made my holes in one a little closer together than in the other, which pulled that side forward and misaligned the axle, I countered it by adjusting the rod ends on the link for that side but will remake the brace later on. as it stands it is now an official rolling chassis. but i'm not ready for electronics yet, I still need a few things 1st, like steering linkages for the 2 rear axles, 2 short ones that go from the servo to the steering arm and 1 long one going from left to right arms, I also need a servo mount for the center axle and 2 shocks, I have 2 oddballs in place at the moment. it's getting closer to being done guys, just a handful of things left.

lout likes this.
  11. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    [​IMG]
    a pic of my maxstone10 servo mount turned upper link mount and the brace I made, the shock in the pic has been replaced with a maxstone 10 shock to match the opposite side, funny thing is I was flexing it out and I get just as much articulation with the ms10 shocks as i do with the bigger/longer ms8 shocks, so for now shocks to replace them will drop to the bottom of my list, I also realized I can use the turn buckle style lockouts as steering arms so I won't need to buy those either, a few dollars saved there, I have a feeling i'm going to have to replace all my rod ends with metal ones, or at the very least those on the center axle, but won't know for certain until I take it on it's 1st test run.

Tim S and lout like this.
  12. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nice .... Always. Good to get a few dollers saved here and there :)

13. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    hoping to get a little help with this one, i've decided to basically run 2 hobbywing 860 escs on this rig, at least until I can afford a holmes or other high end esc that can handle 3 45 or 55 turn motors, it's my understanding that if you divide the turns by the number of motors, this gives you your draw on the esc, for example 3 45t motors = the same draw as a 15t motor, so if your esc can handle a 15t or lower motor it should be able to handle 3 45t, someone tell me if I misunderstood this, but my problem isn't that or the number of escs, it's more along the line of powering the servos and the best way to do so, becs are expensive, at least when you have a small budget they are, and i'm going to have 3 high torque servos to run, so is there a bec that will run all 3 servos,, or will I need more than one bec these are the servos i'm going to run http://www.ebay.com/itm/301586546447?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I was looking at this bec, but I don't really understand all the specs and what they mean. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SkyRC-2S-10...0d7a793&pid=100033&rk=3&rkt=8&sd=301586546447 electronics are not my strongest area of expertise.

14. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I believe that a single 10amp will be enough. However what capacity battery are you going to be using? That bec will only support 2S or a 7 cell nimh

15. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    thanks, that's really all I planned to run battery wise, either 1 on each esc or 2 wired in parallel powering both escs, I know nothing about becs other than what they are for, and all that electrical stuff confuses me, so if there's a better choice of bec feel free to let me know. I was thinking a castle, simply because I may choose to go 3 or even 4 cell eventually, they're actually cheaper and with the castle link added it's still only around $5 more.

16. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I would go castle if your thinking of possible going 3 or 4 cells in the future. Just so it can be an option without having to but another Bec to try the more cells. Also I wouldn't get anything under 10amp

17. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    these servos seem to draw a good amount of power, I have one on my crawler and everytime I turn sharply it noticeably slows down, but they're powerful enough to turn those big tires i'm running on this rig, and fairly cheap for a metal gear waterproof servo with the power they have, thanks for the help, I think i'll definitely go with the castle bec. it just seems a better choice, may have to get 2 if I keep this servo on the E10.

18. DcFx

DcFx Well-Known Member

I bought a castle 10amp bec. Make sure you purchase the castle link for your pc as well. That way you can go in and up the voltage to your servos if needed. I think I turned mine up to 7 volts. But make sure your rx can handle it. I know my spectrum rx will take up to 9.6v.
    And yes also from my understanding you take the number of turns of your motors and divide by the number of motors you intend to run.
    So 55t/3=18.333 so essentially if your esc needs to be able to handle a 17t motor. And that's about all I am useful for I guess :p

darkside0914 likes this.
  19. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    added up the cost of everything I still need to get in order to make this rig run under it's own power, total about $170, add that to what I already have in it and i'll have about $350 total in this build, not counting the body, not too bad really for something like this with 6ws and 3 moa axles, of course that's before the upgrades to the better motors, esc, and gears. which will easily add another $200+ to the cost, but those upgrades are not going to happen anytime soon.

DcFx, lout and walter like this.
  20. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That's actually pretty good for getting it up and running

DcFx likes this.