1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the monster 6x6 redo

Discussion in 'Road Giants 6x6/8x8/10x10' started by darkside0914, Feb 8, 2016.

1. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I didn't fully add in some things, like the 3rd axle, frame plates I used for axle location and links, since these came from the maxstone 8 I bought several yrs. ago, I did add about half what that rig cost though, most of what's left is little nitpicky stuff, motors, escs, 2 more servos and the y wires mounts and bec/castle link to do the 6ws, but all that little stuff adds up.

2. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The way I look at things is that stuff that comes out of the parts box has a zero cost as the cost has already been accounted for with another truck :Grin:

walter likes this.
  3. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I have looked back on the original plans for this truck and realized probably 90% has changed, but that's the nature of the hobby, unfortunately it looks like i'm not going to be able to get the H2 body I want anytime soon, just not in the financial cards at the moment, unless a 6th scale hummer body comes up for $20 on ebay i'm going to have to wait for awhile on that, no biggie, i'll concentrate on getting it going and use my night hauler body for now. also got plans for a trailer to go with this, can't decide if I want to go with a semi style and removable 5th wheel or a 4 wheeled setup like @Freddy has for his log truck.

4. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    been awhile since I posted any updates on this, it's not dead, just suffering from lack of funds, so I went through some junk boxes and found a few things I needed to make it run. namely 2 escs, both are matching maxstone originals, I was actually shocked my original esc off my very 1st 10th scale maxstone crawler still works fine as does my original maxstone 8 esc, so I will use them until I get the funds to upgrade to a better set later on. i'm also thinking of using 2 6 cell nimh batteries instead of just 1, mostly to lessen the strain on the batteries them selves, and since I have a pair of matching 1800mah batteries that are nearly new just sitting around collecting dust, as with the escs they will work until I can upgrade later on. but other than a couple servos, the last 45t motor, and a receiver it's a runner, as it sits I can and have driven it for a short time.

lout and walter like this.
  5. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

none of my projects die but i am so scatterbrained i have more hobbies and projects then i can count .. and i tend to want it all so the list of interest continues. ... on the rx what brand is it ?

6. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I was thinking of using either my spectrum dx2e, which I have a rx i'm not using for it, or my redcat everest radio which is a rebranded flysky gt2, probably the redcat, since the flysky/hobbyking gt2 rx is only about $6, not to mention they work good with my axial radio too, and yeah I know what you mean about all the different projects, I only have 2 real hobbies, rc and off road lawnmowers, but really only spend money on this one as i've only recently gotten back into the lawnmower stuff.

#46 darkside0914, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  7. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I would look at which radio you would prefer to use and go with that one. I have a dx2e as well which I got off my brother, but I life the feel of the flysky gt3b better so it's still sitting on the shelf. It's probably going to end up in my truck once my current build is complete so that someone else can run it.

8. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

the fS gt3b is very hackable and once moded can run up to 8 channel FS rx's to operate the winches shift servos and do 4ws steer mixes

9. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    But can you turn off the annoying battery alarm once it's gone off?

10. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    well I can't find the body I want for this so i'm going to use my tamiya night hauler body temporarily, or maybe permanently, who knows, it doesn't look too bad on the big chassis. I was about to buy a h2 hard body, but someone got it as I was looking at it.

11. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That;s a Bugger that is!

12. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    still waiting for parts, I got my second servo ordered, and my y wires are came a few days ago, got them wired up to the escs and ran for the rear servos, I need a new pinion gear, unfortunately I can't seem to find a 32p 13t long shank gear with a 3mm bore, so i ordered the stock ms8 motor w/ gear from nitro rcx, they sent the right part number but it had the wrong gear on it, i'm working on getting it replaced, they've been good about customer service with me, and so far they've been pretty quick to respond to this issue too.

13. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

look at the pinion for a monster beetle , I think it is 13 tooth

14. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    thanks for the info, i'll look them up, be a good idea to have a couple standbys around in case of failure anyway.

15. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I just looked in my parts box and the monster beetle is a 10 tooth ,sorry

16. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    the same as a lunchbox, oh well, there's got to be a gear like I need somewhere on the internet.

17. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    How long do you need it to be ?

18. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    from end to end the gear is 1 inch.

19. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    i was going through a junk drawer and guess what, I found a gear, woo hoo, it's a 12t not a 13, but it's in mint condition and exactly what I needed to get motor #3 mounted up. I may just contact nitrorcx and tell them to forget the mistake, I found what I needed and i'll keep the motor and gear they sent me for something else.

lout likes this.
  20. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Damn that's long!!

Nice one on the find tho!!