1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New (to me) Losi 5ive....a few questions

Discussion in 'Large Scale RC' started by Vohaul, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Vohaul

Vohaul New Member

purchased my newest addition to the fleet....a Losi 5ive t...(thanks in no small part to the RC adventures Project large videos..Thanks DJ Medic).......couldn't wait to fire it up...and..even in -15 celsius...it fired up on the 2nd pull....

all i can say is, all the youtube videos and pictures dont do this truck justice....first off its huge...2nd the sound and power of the thing (even in stock mode, which mine is for now)....puts a huge smile on my face and will probably regulate my 1/8 scale and 1/10 scale nitro trucks to the shelf for awhile.....(did i mention it starts in a pull or two and runs for 45 min..lol)..

planning on a few upgrades, like killswitch, pipe and body wrap..among other things...but all in good time...

anyway, i got a few questions about it already..so here we go....

1. 2nd tank of fuel...the throttle servo quit working.(mighta had something to do with all the snow packed around it :ouch:..now all it does is go full throttle when i turn on the radio and glitches a bit..Steering is fine..after some research online, i figure ive probably toasted the servo..so i think ill take the stock steering and use it for throttle....Can anyone recommend a decent new steering servo?..(or for that matter, have one they'd like to sell?:)

also, if i switch to all digital servos, i should be able to go to a lipo reciever pack, correct?

2. does it matter what octane im using...ie is 91 going to perform better than 89? the PO used race gas....

3. after the servo quit, i drained the tank...but do i need to flush out the carb....and also, should i drain the tank every time im done...or only if im not gonna use it for a few weeks?

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Paul

2. TeK

TeK the 1/5th Scale BOSS
    ELiTE MEMBER

Sounds like your servo is toast, so ya I agree with your assessment. I like the Savox 0236 for replacement. If you have a spare $500 laying around in a month or two the hitec 900sgs is king.

These engines are usually tuned to run 91 octane with timing. I have never tried less so I couldn't tell you how they run.

You do not need to flush the carb out. If I will not be using them for a bit I will make sure there is no gas in the carb. It's best not to leave fuel in the tank, but I do it all the time anyways since I usually go home with a broken rig and too lazy to drain it lol. I just drain it for winter if I didn't run it dry at the track.

Have fun with the new toy.

3. CraftWerksRC

CraftWerksRC New Member

Congrats on your new toy, And welcome to the world of LARGE SCALE RC's! lol. There is nothing like them.

Reg. Pump gas is fine for a stock and even most custom built motors. Whats more important is using a good quality 2 stroke oil.

If your 1:5 will only sit for a few weeks, your fuel will be fine. For longer storage I would drain the tank. I add stabil to my fuel and it keeps the carbs from gumming up if they sit for awhile.

Hope this helps!

4. KiwiCanuck

KiwiCanuck New Member

5. Vohaul

Vohaul New Member

I'll check it out, but I ended up buying a savox 0236 for steering....as everyone recommended it for a single steering servo...

Lol, I also have coming:
    Outerwears (crankcase, shocks, and pull start)
    Killer rc 7200 7.2 LIpo
    Killer rc kill switch
    Team chase steering kit
    Modified rc booted brake discs
    Steel cable for the pullstart
    And a losi pipe new version

It's almost like an addiction:)