1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Next Big Trend?

Discussion in 'RC Chat, Tutorials, Ideas, Requests, Etc' started by Crankbait, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

As we all know the RC world has it's ups and downs when it comes to styles.
    Years ago when I started the hobby the trend was buggies.
    In my late teen years the big thing in my area was Carpet oval track racing.(which I loved, but was terrible at)

From Monster trucks to Micros, Short course trucks to bashers.
    The trends change and they change fast...
    Who would have ever thought Nitro would take a back seat to Electric powered rigs!?!:slow:
    Well Lipo's and brushless motors changed that...

Super scale rigs also have their up's and downs, but years ago you had to make everything...

Me? I think fuel powered Monster Trucks are going to make a comeback.(Yeah I know.... crazy talk!).:dizzy:

My question is what do you think the next big thing will be?

2. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Crankbait it varies all over the world..

The RC Drift scene was MASSIVE in Australia in 2005.(Which is where I started) but by 2008... It had died off nearly to the point of extinction.. I think the Fast and Furious Movies had ALOT to do with it.
    From about 2009 RC Rally started to have an effect... then by 2010.. it was hardly even heard of..
    The Scale scene kicked off in around 2010 and it has done the same... faded..

Its different in every part of the world.
    I think the next big crazy will be RC Blimp Racing...

3. MrRcFanatik

MrRcFanatik Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

When I was into the hobby when I was young... there were few choices for 1/10 (scale) trucks. Things like the SCX10 just weren't really available in my area (unless you had some serious $$ for a Tamiya Hilux)! The cars were just a crazy chassis, that didn't even really resemble a car that much, but they were a TON of fun! Now, anything goes really! Like Magnat said, drifting and rally really came big not that long ago... and I feel mini helis have also become quite popular.

As to were the hobby will go... I'm not sure! I'm certainly going to be keeping my rigs and boat as long as I can! I don't think there's really anything which isn't available as an rc these days right? So the question is when will one aspect become huge!! :)

4. RcBeginner

RcBeginner New Member

:tttt: Blimp Racing, Never know what to excpect. I think that Scale Rigs will still be very demanding and popular in the future still. There's so many possibilities with upgrading them and where to run them. Theres trails all over the world to explore. Doesn't just stop within your home town. Im excited for the future of Radio Controled Madness!

5. mickyd213

mickyd213 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

When I got my first rc in the mid 80's it was a buggy and pretty much the only rc vehicles which I saw driving around... Now that I've got kids and I'm getting back into it the trend seems to be crawling/ bashing but most people also have more than one type of rc...

But I think the next big thing will be multi axle vehicles... 6x6, 8x8 and so on. With project overkill and the Ural 6x6 models going around it's really opened up the imagination of all of us...

6. Rambodian

Rambodian New Member

I have thought about this myself over the last couple of months. I haven't been involved in RC's for a great deal of time but I think electric everything is going to be the norm here in Australia. As much as I love fuel it's noisy, hard to get nitro in rural/coastal places like where I live, and people don't take kindly to a screaming mini machine fanging around, be it in the sky or on the ground. I would love to think 1/8 scale SC racing may take off at some stage if a few of the bigger brands get involved, but more likely I think buggies will reign supreme over the long haul. I think bashing will get bigger in Australia and lead to allot more indoor tracks popping up over the next few years catering to more than just one class, thinking places that have multi tracks for crawling, road racing and off road racing with the hobby store as part of the complex.
    It's kind of what happened to the whole skate scene here in Australia when it went more mainstream.

Not sure TBH, but it feels like the RC world is starting to become more of a mainstream hobby, I see lots of Dads with their kids at parks and so forth playing around with RC stuff, in-fact it's how I got interested in the scene and I think youtube vids have allot to do with it as well. Whatever happens, whatever direction it ends up going, I think the Rc world is going to get seriously bigger and allot more people involved.

7. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

when i started in the early "00's" is was all IC(internal combustion, Nitros) buggies, truggies and Monster trucks, and onroad. With a small time spent in them, i moved to EP with my mates with the Gen 1 E-revo 8th scale, and continued with the EP(electric power).
    as the racing scene changed down here, it moved to 10th scale, with buggies slowly building their ranks, and the introduction on SCT as a MASSIVE success here, now out running any other class nearly 3-1...

racing down here is a stable platform, and its continual growth will not really change that much, just what classes are dominant, SCT and 4x4 SCT growing regularly, they are poised to take over the world!!!!!!!!!!!!

drifting is slowly filtering through now, very slowly, but crawling, comp and trailing, seem to be the next big thing, every week, i hear little bits and pieces of people interested in it, or peoples plans to get into it, which i really hope!!!

#7 Greenie, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  8. Diablo

Diablo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

me, well I would like to think that hydrogen fuel cells or similar will take off (and become an affordable alternative to both nitro and lipo). but I think that is a fair way off yet.

9. Trippen

Trippen Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Interesting thread....I started off in the early 80's with a dune buggy with manual inflatable tires then a grass hopper and numerous cars trucks planes helis boats....now back to cars rs4 micro and a SCX10.....The one thing over the years that seemed consistent has been a heavy need to have scale. so maybe the question would be what scale area has no one touched on for RC applications...and the only one i have come up with is the model rockets..most still use the same technology that was made popular by estes in the 70's...But yet still no RC capabilities to speak of. so my vote is FPV RC rockets...Never been a rocket guy but hey if it gets cool enough why not

10. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The early 90's were dominated by Tyco.. The Typhoon, the Terrain Twister.. It seemed everyone wanted one due to the Amphibious aspect.
    If Only they made HobbySpec Scale Hovercrafts that you didn't have to scratch build!

(and dont say Ebay as they are far from Hobby spec lol)

11. Honda95freek

Honda95freek MadMan Moderator

Not sure how well they're taking off, but it seems the big manufactures are pushing the Rally cars.

12. Diablo

Diablo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ooooooh like to see a hobby grade version of the tyco traxx as the next big thing. Had one when I was a kid. Arrrrh good times

13. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Very true, they reeled me in!

14. Rdecker20

Rdecker20 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

obstical boating!!!

15. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

yeah, they got my big bro, hes now obsessed with them!!!!

OH OH!!!! i'm so up for that!!!!!!! sounds like a wicked idea!!!!!! so going to re-enforce the jet boats hull and give it a go!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

16. MrRcFanatik

MrRcFanatik Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Having a more "scale" car would be cool! They already make trucks like the Trail Finder 2 that are very scale looking... it would be neat to see more of a scale on road car! Probably wouldn't make sense to use a unibody, but maybe they could just use a front engine, rear hump-pack battery layout, and have a moulded roll cage like on some SCTs! Get some macpherson struts etc, and I think that would be really cool! Maybe more suited for a rally car layout though... I'm sure making a scale car would not really have any upsides other than the looks.

It would be awesome if boats really started to become popular! I think the obstical boating that Rdecker20 suggested sounds AWESOME!!! :yuush:

17. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    How about micro planes and red bull style courses

18. Thomas Moffat

Thomas Moffat Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I would love to see RCs looking and working more scale.

I may get into boating, as I live a few hundred yards from a small lake, well a moat would properbly be the right word.

But it seems that Rallycars are the new thing, but Rockracers also seem to becomming more popular with the Wraith and the Vaterra Twin Hammers.

19. xtelpnt

xtelpnt New Member

I would have to say bashers will be around and scalers. The main reason I think this is because you don't need a track to race, you go outside and have fun! What I would kinda like to see is a fast tracked (i.e. tank) vehicles, for a reasonable price. Maybe even an amphibious version lol.

20. MightySilent

MightySilent Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I think the next big trend will be drifting monster trucks and mud bogs.