1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The so easy to fix problem with my ax10 deadbolt has turned into I have no Idea what to do help!

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Spence123, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hi all, my ax 10 deadbolt is now suffering from a short somewhere, I can't find it at all, and it intermittently turns on and off. I check all of the connections to the receiver, they seem good, the esc terminals, I was able to get one to short out once, but I really have to tug on it. I really have no idea what this could be, it is really frustrating. Help!

Thanks,
    Spence

2. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    have you checked the switch, I recently had a similar problem with the brand new castle esc I bought and found it was a bad switch

summitnut and RustyWrench like this.
  3. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
  4. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I checked everything, the issue gets worse and worse as I run it and the electronics heat up, it would cut out more an more. Could be a cracked circuit board, I will contact axial during the week even tho I bought it from tower hobbies. Its only been since christmas day that I have head the deadbolt. People like the ae-2 esc also since its basically a rebranded castle unit. Castle creations makes good stuff, I also have never had electronic issues with any rc (except for servos stripping out) I really thought people liked this esc and that it is a good esc. I have a rustler vxl that is nearly a year old and I have punished it way more and no electrical issues or glitches at all throughout its life, same with my summit and all of my other rc's

#4 Spence123, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  5. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

contact. axial. they have good customer support.

6. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

a affordable fix is to get a cheap 5-6v bec. hobby wing has one for around 5 dollars. one end plugs into any available receiver port. the other end connects to the battery. then on the esc/ receiver plug u simply cut the red wire. and done.
    the bec will power the receiver and servo eliminating the need for the internal bec inside the esc. a bonus is if u set it to 6v vs 5v it will make the steering servo run way stronger and faster.

7. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:

These things do have a problem with the on/off switch from time to time. I removed our switch and soldered the wires together, now the ESC turns on the moment you plug the battery in. So I would check the switch first.

Also you may be hitting thermal shutdown if your ESC or motor or both are getting hot. Try using a lower tooth pinion to help bring the temps down.

Are you running LiPo or NiMh batteries? Is your LVC set correctly? The AE2 can only handle a 2s LiPo do not run a 3s on it.

Are you using the stock servo, or have you upgraded to a more powerful one? If you have upgraded your servo then you may need a external BEC. High power/torque servos can draw more Amps than the stock ESC's internal BEC can supply. This can cause Brown Outs.

Dean

8. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Alright, the issue was one of the battery terminals developed a short. Axial replaced my esc free of charge. The new one works so far. I have some questions about LVC, because of course being myself I mess with things a lot, and if I put it on lvc, and run it with NIMH for a while, the truck comes to a stop with still good voltage in the pack. If I put in a lipo, that issue is fixed. But if I switch to NIMH mode and put a lipo with 7.6v in it,(I never run it like this just tested it briefly) and it well gave more than enough power to make the slipper clutch squeal. if I put lvc on with a lipo pack that is at 7.6v or so, I don't get enough torque to move over obstacles, but if I turn lvc off and use the same pack, it has enough torque to break loose the well tightened slipper clutch. Is this fine? Yes its the stock tactic tsx45mg servo