1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tire issues

Discussion in 'Scale Truck Chat' started by C_Pert, Oct 27, 2011.

1. C_Pert

C_Pert New Member

how cam i stop my tires from going square when it gets cold outside but still keep water from getting inside the rim? thought of drilling a small hole in the rim but the water would get in.

2. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Can I ask what do you mean by going square ?
    I have not experienced this yet...

3. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

Ya I have not experinced this either, could you explain a bit more or maybe provide a photo of it as well if you can. Why are you worried about water getting inside? I take mine through the water all the time and I have drilled holes in all my rims as well. Easy to get the water out.

4. ecorey

ecorey Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    it almost sounds like you have bias ply rc tires but i didnt know that there were bia-ply rc tires

5. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Dribble I can take it you have never sniffed your foams lol.. I can tell after running through water... they STINK...

6. TNCrawler

TNCrawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Now that is a RC ADD!CT, Sniffin Tire Foams LMAO!!!

GUILTY!!!!!:punky:

7. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

HAHAHAHA NICE! KUDOS to you actually, to be honest, since I drilled the holes in my rims I have not had the chance to take my rig through water, but I bet they do STINK! Tell you what when I do, I will sniff them lol

8. chopperray

chopperray Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

If your loosing air in your tire, that means you have a bad seal on the beadlock ring or you have a hole in the tire. Here if you look at mine, they have three holes in each rim. Run flat all the time.

[​IMG]

9. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Ah If the OP means they look like chopperays tyres then the only option would be to run a firmer foam..
    You would have to visit a foam/rubber store and then hand build the tyre foams..

Putting holes in the rims and tires is going to let the water in.
    A small hole say 2mm on the inside of the rim would be about as big as I would go.
    This size is small enough to vent the tire but reduce the chance of water getting in if the wheels are spinning the whole time through mud/water.

How ever.. if your rig becomes stationary for any reason then the water/mud is going to get in requiring you to remove the bead locks and the tire foams out of the tires and allowing them to dry over night..

#9 Magnat007, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  10. chopperray

chopperray Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hhhmmmm have fun in water and mud every weekend and put up with a little smell once in a blue moon when tires are changed or no fun with hard balloon tires. Up to each person I guess.

11. igbandy

igbandy New Member

if your tyres have memory foam inserts that could be why the tires are going square. Problem is that memory foam doesnt like being cold and it pretty much refuses to play ball in cold weather.

12. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    im also thinking if they are 100% sealed. then maybe its actualy caused from the air inside shrinking and the tire pulling in. not sure if it even a possibility. just an idea tho. once your out in the cold open the tire up by removing one of the beadlocks. let the cold air in then screw them back down. then you should be golden. tires may become firmer once you go back in the warm tho. Its like shrinking a balloon in the freezer then watching it blow itself back up when you warm it up.

or maybe im a nut. lol

13. C_Pert

C_Pert New Member

00whynot you are the only one that understood what i was talking about. Lol.... but i was trying to find an alternet way to solve the problem with out having mess with the beadlocks, And its to stop the foam from smelling aswell.

14. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    don't worry about the bead locks. you cant mess them up. you cant really do anything without pulling the tire apart on one side. there is no glue so its super easy.

15. C_Pert

C_Pert New Member

thanx for the help i am gonna try the 2mm holes cause im just looking for a quick solution to go from hot to cold just for winter and in the summer again i will hot glue the hole water tight.