1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tmaxx Big Bore Shocks

Discussion in 'Nitro' started by CorbinN, Dec 29, 2016.

1. CorbinN

CorbinN New Member

I got what is essentially a Tmaxx 3.3 with the traxxas big bore shocks that i can not seem to get to set correct. I have put 40 weight and the oil that comes with the shocks, i have put the largest spacers on all eight, i have tried the numerous positions for the bottom mount of the shocks, the only thing i have not tried is the 3-hole piston face or whatever you call it. If you take a look at the pictures one is from dropping it app. 1 foot onto the floor and the other is the fairly mangled new skid plate, it has been used for like 3-5 tanks of gas. I was hoping someone might know how i could get these shocks to stiffen up some.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Welcome to the forum! I'm not able to view the first picture. Are the springs stock and do you know the rating of them?

3. CorbinN

CorbinN New Member

There are the stock springs that came in the tmaxx big bore kit, no idea the rating. Here is the first picture again. http://i.imgur.com/v50ACQS.jpg

[​IMG]

4. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Did you use the pistons that are specified in the instructions?

5. CorbinN

CorbinN New Member

I actually did not open em up other than to add the oil. I read that the springs are "crap" and should get new ones plus something crazy like 50-60 wt oil.

6. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    50-60wt oil is really high. Getting some stronger springs should solve your problem.

7. CorbinN

CorbinN New Member

I am thinking so, i put the springs from stock shocks and its helped quite a bit. Im just not sure what 3rd party springs i should get. I am also having a hell of a time trying to align the damn thing. An recommendations for either?

8. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Check if Traxxas makes any other springs for the shocks. What are you having a hard time aligning?

9. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  10. CorbinN

CorbinN New Member

it seems if i align one wheel strait the other is then out of whack, so basically the toe in/out angles.

11. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    +1 for putting in stiffer springs.

As for the alignment have a look at the steering links, you should be able to disconnect one end and wind out the end link a couple of turns to toe the wheel in.

Antho11 likes this.
  12. Thwmathue

Thwmathue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Can you post a pic with the wheels hanging it almost looks like the shocks aren't long enough.

13. HalNutt

HalNutt Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thwmathue has the idea what does it look like off the floor? When you put the oil into the shock did you wait for air to purge? Was the shock fully extended when you filled em? It takes a good half hour or more for any trapped air to escape/bubble out if you jus poured the oil in and screwd the cap on you most likely have air trapped inside. Remember its an oil filled shock so the shock body needs to be full of oil if it isnt it will sit on the air trapped inside and most likely blow the cap off on hard landings. Secondly dont mess with your toe in or out camber or steering spread till you get your ride height where you want it. Have fun

14. Thwmathue

Thwmathue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Just remember like a real car all other adjustments affect toe. Toe affects none of the others. If you try to get the toe set then adjust camber you will change the toe.