1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTHER To lube CVD's, or not to lube CVD's?

Discussion in 'RC Chat, Tutorials, Ideas, Requests, Etc' started by Tommygunn, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn Member

I have a Losi LST2 with partly exposed CVD's (no boots, can't fit them) and since I run in dry, dusty condition, or any conditions for that matter, they collect a lot of gunk because of the light oiling I've given them. Obviously oil is good but would I be better off running them dry?

Basically, should they be an oily, mud pie or dry with minimal dust/dirt build up? Which method causes the least wear?

Opinions?

Tom.

2. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    there is no good solid answer. best bet is a dry graphite grease or something similar. i myself just lube once in a while with silicon oil. when i can hear them squeak i do it again.

soup, Antho11 and walter like this.
  3. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    It's hard to say like @00whynot said. I usually don't because no matter what oil or grease I've used they always attract more dirt. If the boots would fit I would.

4. soup

soup Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

There are chain lubricants (for bicycles) suitable for use in dry dusty conditions , maybe you could try these. Or perhaps as @00whynot 'says' perhaps you could use a dry lube like graphite powder.
    The main problem with lubricants which attract/have dust stuck to them is that the dust~lube mixture forms a 'nice' grinding paste. You could do what I do which is use a fairly heavy application of waterproof grease (this is Scotland so wettish is the norm) and clean the CVDs after every(?) run.
    As everyone says,ask 20 people you will get twenty different lubricant practises, there is no 'correct' method of lubrication. Just whatever works for you and how much work you are prepared to put in measured against how often you are prepared to replace parts.
    I find boots are good for small(sometimes very) stones but dust gets inside them and 'out of sight out of mind' . If you are prepared to clean under them every second run or so use them, else they will just hide evidence of grinding

5. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  6. spawn

spawn Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    i use wd 40 silicone lubricant every run work good so far in sand i was haven to take apart to clean

7. Tommygunn

Tommygunn Member

I think I'll get some dry lube and see how it goes.
    In the meantime, I took the CVD's out and cleaned them of all oil and dirt. I had some graphite powder on the shelf and mixed it with some petrol. I then paint brushed it into the CVD's and some other squeaky spots.

Cheers,
    Tom.

8. soup

soup Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Apparently there are dry and wet lubes for bicycle chains . There is a third type of thin dry lube which is used for gears and brakes etc try this thin stuff on your buggy else try the 'normal' dry lube for chains.
    Muc-off , Pedro and Dry line are among the brands to look for.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-dry-lube-120ml/
    this seems to be a half way house between dry and thin dry.

Hopefully the petrol will just act as a carrier getting the graphite into all the nooks and crannies then evaporate.
    Good luck.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-c3-dry-ceramic-lube-50ml?sku=5360533188&source=igodigital
    Wonder if this makes the tea too?

9. spawn

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    bicycle and motorcycle chain lub is to tacky and holds dirt i have to clean my r6 chain every 500 miles it sucks

10. soup

soup Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Maybe your using the wet stuff in a fairly dry envioronment? Ask at your local dealer what you are doing worng. Maybe you need one of the V dry lithium lubes they are Lithium in a solvent carrier the carrier ensures the lube gets everyhere then evaporates to leave just the lithium to lube things.

I know two things about motorbikes, nowt and bugger all. Does the R6 chain not run in some sort of oil bath or is not having one one of the 'improvements' in the last 70 years?
    Is that a full clean at 500 miles or is it just a wipe with a cloth?

One method of chain lubing I have heard about but am too chicken shit to try is remove chain from bike shake it about in a bottle/jug of chain cleaner. Then melt a lot of parrafin wax; over a camping stove, using old pots one inside the other in a sort of bain marie, or a double boiler as Sheldon calls it :) , outside to preserve domestic harmony, then plunge chain into the melted wax remove chain and allow wax to harden, voila parrafin everywhere and no liquids to attract dust.
    Waxing Chains

An alternative approach to chain lubrication is to immerse the chain in hot wax. This is a variation on the oil/solvent approach. The hot wax is of a thin enough consistency that it can theoretically penetrate into the private parts of the chain, then when it cools off, you have a nice thick lubricant in place where it can do the most good. The major advantage to this approach is that, once cooled off, the wax is not sticky, and doesn't attract dirt to the outside of the chain as readily. The wax approach is a great deal of trouble, and wax is probably not as good a lubricant as oil or grease.

Recent research has suggested, though, that wax in fact has lower friction than other lubricants. See links at the end of this article.

Wax is flammable and should be heated in a double boiler or a warm oven.

#10 soup, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    spawn and walter like this.
  11. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

graphite powder is good , thats what I would use

12. spawn

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    it might be texas weather weather changes every 5 min lol i clean and recoat its a hard 500 lol and not stock gears or chain 1 down 2 up with 550 it might work on rc thay dont get as hot lol . i did not mean to act like u did not know what u where talken about thats just my exp

13. soup

soup Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I did not take it that way at all, as I said, I know just about nowt regarding motorbikes (I've already said I am a bit of a chickenhawk). Although surfing about I did notice that Motorbike chains had o-rings whilst bicycle chains do not so maybe they are treated differently I don't know. Anyway lubrication is a bit of a minefield of opinions, black magic, predjudices, availability of products and local conditions.

Let no one tell you their's is the only way. It really is a case of what works for you.

14. spawn

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    thats true on the end of mess . but good to get more advice but back on hes ? try what people are offering as advice see what works for u and with the climate its all good advice just dont use plaine wd makes plastic soft needs to be silicone base hope it workes for me might work for u i know it dose for me water mud dirt about every 4 or more runs

15. Tommygunn

Tommygunn Member

It's been a while, but just to cap this off, I bought some dry lube and made a paste with it and the graphite so now I have a lubricant that is now slightly fluid and sticks better than just dry graphite.

Tom.

Antho11 likes this.