1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tools for basic repairs???

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Owensmom, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Owensmom

Owensmom Member

So, having already done one repair on my sons rc with the wrong tools (very awkward!), I am wondering what kind of RC specific tools I should add to my tool box? Most commonly used tools for basics etc?

Thanks everyone!

Holly

2. chetmotox

chetmotox Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    In my opinion there are a few things I always take with me on the trail to fix almost anything. It isn't that I don't like other tools but I can fix most everything with this stuff.

Hex Key set, 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm
    The Axial 4 way wrench
    Needle Nose Pliers
    Small straight blade screw driver
    Super glue
    Electrical tape
    Baling wire

That's what I use on the trail. At home I have a ton of tools but I found on RPP Hobby the Traxxas tool kit that would cover the hex bits and Axial wrench. All I would thrown in would be a small straight bladed screw driver and needle nose pliers and you should be able to accomplish almost anything RC related.
    Dynamite Startup Tool Set: Traxxas

3. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

as there are so many different rc selections I think of a basic set of tools as a set of allen wrenches and small sockets the wheel tool for taking off your wheels , needle nose pliers and those will do a basic repair, but what i think a basic tool set really is a set of tools that you take with you when you leave home to go rc . that set contains all the tools that you will need to make a repair away from home. you should make your list custom to your needs.
    here is something to help you make your list for things you need.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_jTg9As3dY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQbHN9FWCbE
    for my basic set of tools I looked at all 4 of my rc vehicles and gathered 1 each of every possible tool I think I could need.
    and got a tool bag and a tool pouch putting the most often used tools in the pouch put all other tools in the bag then put the pouch in the bag last on top of the other tools for simple stuff you only need the pouch.
    so my basic set might be a little more complicated but Just cant go with out my bag of tricks
    the main thing is to customize your tools to your needs. but i think eventually you will want them all.
    so being the silly person that i am ,,,,a basic set of tools to me is all the tools , an advanced set of tools is all the tools and a bag of spare parts(you see what i did there with the personal tool list and the funny joke about spare parts)
    make a list of every thing you will ever need and pick out the ones you cannot do with out for your basic set.

4. buttm0nk3y

buttm0nk3y Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    They both covered it pretty well.. I think chetmotox's set would be better for the trail, and MONKEYPIARAT's would be great for home/shop use.. But I just don't like carrying that much on the trail.
    Chetmotox also mentioned metric allen sizes, but be sure you get the sizes that your RC uses... I have 2 sets of allen drivers: metric for my Axials and standard for my Losi and Associateds. I also have 3 different sizes to remove the wheels from my cars. I don't mean to confuse you! MONKEYPIARAT nailed it when he said to have what your RC requires, but chetmotox showed a great starter kit. If you're not sure which sizes, ask your LHS or the manufacturer of the RC if you dont have a local hobby shop. I'm sure someone on here can answer that, too, if you share what model you have.

Happy wrenching and RCing! :)

5. chetmotox

chetmotox Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Yeah, that's true, when I'm trailing, I am using my SCX so the metric sizes are all I need. When I do go anywhere though, my pickup will have my full tool box with all my tools, spare parts(you can never have too many), nuts and bolts, etc. so if I have anything I can't fix on the trail, I head back to the pickup and fix it right. I really don't "trail" with my slash so my tool box is always there with me.

6. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

the one thing I will add is a Philips screw driver

7. buttm0nk3y

buttm0nk3y Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    and I forgot to say "add a flashlight".. but my eyes suck.

8. Owensmom

Owensmom Member

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. My son has a LIGHTHAWK Igniter, & I have a Traxxas Slash 2 WD short course truck RTR TQ 2.4 Ghz on order - should come soon! :)

9. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think that the slash is going to have most of those basic tools that you are looking included with the slash purchase.
    you might want go over the lighthawk and get any thing that the slash tool set don't cover. and that will be your basic set right there. needle nose pliers and combo screwdriver w/ flat and Philips should round it out nicely. and maybe a small pouch to hold it all.