1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track Design- Jump slope, height, and distances....

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by MonkeyBoy, May 14, 2013.

1. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy New Member

I come from the dirt bike community and have built several tracks for motocross and am very eager to build my short track for the Slash Ultimate I just got. With dirt bikes it makes a big difference if you make a slope too steep or not steep enough. Also the face of the jump/takeoff needs to have a slight curve/bow in it for compressing the suspension. Without it you just drop off the cliff, so to speak: with proper curve you get the nice float. Also, the distances are determined by the slope and height of each takeoff. The easier landings are long smooth tabletops where it's not as detrimental if you come up short or go long. True Doubles and Triples are all or nothing and can be severe if misjudged.

I have watched several tracks and especially the pro/league racing tracks that seem to be the best angles but I cannot find any information about distances and jump angles. Does anyone here know a link or webpage or information here on the site for such a breakdown and diagram? I know I could figure it out by trial and error but I'd like to at least have a ballpark figure for starters.

For example, a dirtbike course can vary from 1.5:1 up to 2:1 ratio slope (distance from beginning of takeoff ramp to center of peak:height of peak, so that a jump 5 ft high would have 7.5-10 feet of slope before the peak). For beginners though, you can go up to 2.5:1 or 3:1 which is much easier. (Don't worry, I understand my track would range from 1ft. jumps up to maybe 2.5 or 3' max jumps!)The distances are determined according to speed and slope/height. Also for rhythm sections this would be very important to keep speed instead of launching sky high only to fall and lose momentum to continue the remainder of the jumps.

Anywhoo, just had some time thinking through this today so I thought I'd ask. Any track builders/designers out there?

2. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

I do most of the tracks for our club now days, 1/10th off road, and well, yeah, we just build it, try, adjust and then race..........
    LOL!!!

but we have the benefits of the track is indoors and moveable(wooden jumps, carpet, rope lanes), so adjustments are just the case of moving things around...

so i'm pretty much useless to ya sorry!!!!

3. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy New Member

Actually this could be informative. Got a video to post?? I'd love to see it in action. Also, I'd just measure the length of the takeoff board and how high it is in the middle (to the lip/peak). I wouldn't even need to know how far you fly, just whether or not it is nice and smooth working. That'd give me at least a working idea of an existing jump model.

4. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy New Member

Greenie, also, is the board laser straight or does it have some flex/curve to it? I'm curious....

#4 MonkeyBoy, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  5. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

eerrrr, well, not at the moe, no vid, as we're about to more back into our new shed, umm, there was some videos floating around of older track set ups. i'll see what i can find for you....

6. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy New Member

No big deal! We'll see if any others have input, I'm sure I'm not the only one crazy enough to sit around and design a track with actual dimensions!!!

7. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

LOL!!! yeah, our lanes have to be 3m wide at all points, must have a main strait over 20m long, blah blah blah......

our track in its soon to be new layout will be roughly 21m by 33m

see if this works.......

launceston RC - YouTube

a few more videos floating around then i thought!!!
    nothing from the new shed yet....

8. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy New Member

Thanks Greenie! I can't wait to get out there and find a great spot. It's sheet rock for a ways and then red clay a long while, every now and then you get some good dirt but they are few and far between... Gotta love Tennessee.

Anyone else have experience with track design? I've been watching more videos and trying to estimate height and distances. One web says not to have a jump taller than the vehicle! That's an eight to ten inch jump. Not for me! I'm gonna at least have on upward of 2-2.5 feet. That should distance at least 20 feet or so. AIR TIME!!!

9. DizzyDad

DizzyDad Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

What about just taking your full scale tracks for motor cross and scaling them down using the same angles? The tracks we use here are basically smaller versions of motocross tracks and they work nicely. Our jumps have about 18" upward or it was that new, probably not so much now, with a 22" approach and the last four inches have a steeper curve looks like an 1/8 pipe. It's pretty violent at first, but after a few runs it mellows out nicely, and throttle control is key. We also use straight take offs which are pretty mellow. Not sure what speed you're planning on hitting them at or height your looking to get, but we don't get anything crazy. The 1/10 maybe three or four feet up on the pipes. Hard to guess really.

10. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy New Member

Thanks for the reply Dizzy! That makes good sense. I just wanted confirmation before building the track and then having to change it.

11. DizzyDad

DizzyDad Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I lied. My measurements were for the old jumps. The new ones we use that are nicer were modeled after those portable skate board jumps and are actually 16" high by 28" long approach still a 4" curve at the lip for a little boost at the exit. Sorry. I should have double checked before I replied. :slow:

12. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy New Member

That's okay, I forgive!! Dirt spills naturally about 1:1 which is way too steep for dirt bikes and may be too violent for RC, I'm not sure. But your repost with info sounds much like a good ratio, roughly (slightly less) than 2:1. I know speed will determine distance but I want to get a nice flow to the track.

I was watching one the other night on the YouTube and the landing areas were so steep you either hit the tops of them and bounced off of them way down the track or you jumped completely over them. There was no middle ground and certainly no flow to the track!

The more I think about this I am thinking that I need to write up an article about slope and angles so that others who want a track or wonder why they can't put together any kind of rhythm on their track can rule out or pinpoint trouble related to their jumps and landing areas. Watching the National Championship short course races from the past few years has a surprising 'small scale supercross' look to it. I'm figuring track design similarities between motorcycles and RC's are more related than I thought. What do you think? Does it matter to most on here? My thinking right now is that many may be trying to 'gain throttle control' when the problem is the track design. I know it takes much practice and control to jump and land these little cars. But on the other hand, physics plays a huge factor. There is a natural arc to a body in motion (dirt bike or RC) off the jump face that naturally carries it back to the ground. With a landing that is not mated to this arc or a distance too close or too far away results in a jump that you would have to defy the natural laws of gravity and motion to hit and land on the backside of the jump.

13. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy New Member

The more i think about this, the more I think about this......

Continuing the previous thoughts about track design and the 'line' or arc through the air, once you get the proper slope angle and distances set it makes it a natural thing to hit a jump and the same speed and land in the same place every time. It will take some time to diagram and get my thoughts together but I'm going to write it up.

14. Kansei

Kansei New Member

I always though to aim for a 3:1 length :height for jumps with enough arc to allow a " roll through " from the lowest vehicle and not dig the bumpers . Arcing both side of the jump will allow running both ways to change things up .

#14 Kansei, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  15. UberzyrhO

UberzyrhO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I don't know about others but I live 120 miles from the closest RC shop and there are no tracks.. however we have land and land and land.. (I live in Alaska) To that end I am new to the hobby and dying to build a track in Homer for the scattered RC fans I keep meeting. Most gave the hobby up due to cost and inconvenience of getting what we need, but they see me out rallying around town and now we have 7 guys pulling their old cars out and tuning them up again.. So anything you do type up and post would be an awesome help to me, and them by association. =) already this thread has helped. can't wait to see some video of your track done and being run.