1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traxxas Rustler VXL 3s Problem

Discussion in 'Electric' started by Lunchbarks, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Lunchbarks

Lunchbarks New Member

Hello RC Sparks Community - here's my dilemma, hopefully some of you knowledgeable VXL 3s owners can shed some light.

I replaced my old VXL 3s ESC (due to the sticky power button problem) this afternoon with a brand new VXL 3s ESC and a new 3500 motor to go with it. I also hooked up a ESC fan out of curiosity. I ran a fully charged 2500 nimh pack through it and everything was fine. It chugged out at the end of the pack, totally fine. I let it cool down for a bit and got a fully charged 3600 nimh to go for another light bash session. When I powered on the ESC, my Rustler shook and chugged a bit without even touching my transmitter. Weird, but ok I thought. When I hit the throttle it acted as if the motor was seized or there was some binding going on in the tranny. I took the whole thing apart, and nothing looked stripped/broken/out of place/ etc. so I put it all back together and gave it another try. Same result. Then I switched the motor. Same result. Switched the tranny out for another one. Same thing. So I am at the point that it is definitely the ESC causing some sort of problem with the motor not accelerating. It just sits there and chatters/chugs/cogs hard. I'm running out of hair to pull out of my head and I can't figure it out, other than it must be some type of a short in the ESC?

Has anyone come across this problem before? Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to have to buy a new ESC if there is a simple solution to this problem. I've been googling it every way I can think of, and I'm coming up with nothing, so please help me out if you can?!

2. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Sounds like an interference problem.
    Have you tried re binding?

3. Lunchbarks

Lunchbarks New Member

Thanks for the reply. Steering works fine, it's the throttle that acts up. And I also hooked my old ESC back up and everything worked fine. I dont get it.....

4. rcjoe

rcjoe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

hey Lunchbarks, I had this problem a few days ago, and I fixed it by recalibrating my radio to the esc, the traxxas rustler vxl manual will have the instructions on how to do that exactly... sometimes those esc's just go crazy until you re-calibrate them, also if that doesn’t work I would try taking the motor out of the trans and giving it some throttle to see if the motor will spin... and I would check the wires from the motor to the esc, make sure they are in the right color coded ports... and for that stuck button, you could try loosening off the screws on the bottom of the esc to try and fix it, that's what worked for me, hope this helps
    :)

#4 rcjoe, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  5. Lunchbarks

Lunchbarks New Member

The motor spins like a champ outside of the gearbox. I'll try recalibrating the ESC , thanks for the tip. I took the screws off the bottom of the esc with the stick button a whole back to see of I could pop it back put or clean it somehow but didn't see how to do it. Can I pull that to caSing off? It looks like its sealed in there

6. Lunchbarks

Lunchbarks New Member

I re-bound the radio to the rx, reset to the factory settings and the whole 9. Still nothing. Here's a video of the problem. You can hear the crunch noise when I first switch on the ESC.
    [video=youtube_share;ZJyk43k5q8w]http://youtu.be/ZJyk43k5q8w[/video]

#6 Lunchbarks, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  7. Goblintinker

Goblintinker Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

video is showing as private and won't play

8. Lunchbarks

Lunchbarks New Member

Sorry about that. It should be good now

9. RC_Psycho

RC_Psycho Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I had this with my Slash a couple times a while back, check and make sure all your connectors are pushed all the way together and that they are clean of debris, if that doesn't help pull your motor out and check if you have play in the motor shaft, if there is play it would mean a new bering for the motor, Ive had to rebuild mine 3 times lol

10. Lunchbarks

Lunchbarks New Member

I've tested the motor with a functional esc, an it works perfectly

11. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

I still think it's a binding problem with the transmitter and receiver from watching the video.

12. Lunchbarks

Lunchbarks New Member

I've been running it all day today with the old vxl 3s esc and everything is fine. Would the new ESC be creating some sort of problem with the bind?

13. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hmm? Maybe set in wrong battery mode. Nimh or Lipo?

14. rcjoe

rcjoe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

ok, thanks for the video, it really helps, so there is a difference between binding the receiver and re-calibrating the esc (sorry this might be obvious but I want to make sure we are on the same page), to recalibrate the esc you need to plug the battery in, turn on the radio, hold the power button on the esc until it turns from green to solid red, release the button, when the led flashes red once, give the radio full throttle, when the led flashes red twice, give the radio full reverse, after that the led should flash green indicating to put the throttle into neutral, then the esc should work, if it doesn't fix your problem I suggest contacting traxxas, because it is most likely an internal problem that won't be easy to fix…

15. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Sorry Lunchbarks, listen to Joe , I totally read this problem wrong and what was actually happening , please excuse me, my brain had a moment.:dizzy:

16. Lunchbarks

Lunchbarks New Member

Ah don't sweat it, I appreciate all the help guys.
    Rcjoe you're the man with the plan. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

17. nismoalti420

nismoalti420 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i think rcjoe has the best idea on what its doing. my slash 4x4 was doing something similar to what your video shows. what was wrong with mine was it needed recalabrated and the barrings on the motor were shot. fixed both of them and its back up and running.

the barrings were really worn out so i think when i pulled the trigger the rotor was being pulled out towards the stater witch would lock up the motor. when i let go the car would roll freely with no problem

18. Lunchbarks

Lunchbarks New Member

Just tried RcJoe's suggestion but again no luck. Traxxas is going to send me a call tag to ship it back. Thanks for all your help everyone. This forum has a great community of helpful people. Best one on the Internet imo

19. jeremy878785

jeremy878785 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

This may sound dumb but is lipo cutoff on? Also check the throttle trim

20. nismoalti420

nismoalti420 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

eh, yeah if the light is green the lipo shut off is on if its red its off. just fyi