1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traxxas Slash 2wd needing to rebuild/upgrade!

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by ScaleBasher, Oct 16, 2012.

1. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Went to the hobby shop after work and the Team Associated T4 was sold but they had a 2wd Slash for $125 rtr new tires xl5 and Titan 12T!
    They also had an ECX Torment for $85 RTR but Im a softy for the Slash and my son wants one for his birthday next month.

The Bad...
    Needs shocks rebuilt or replaced
    stock can motor (already in the garbage)
    Broken lower rear arm

The Good...
    Was given new rear arms for free
    New Tires
    Waterproof esc
    Traxxas 2075 servo

This is gonna be for my son so Im not going crazy on the motor just gonna clean it up and replace the rusty screws and replace all the bearings. I want to make it more posi but still be somewhat limited slip would some bearing grease do the trick for that I have a tub of it laying around that I got when I put new bearings in my real car just worried that itll be too thick. Im also thinking of putting a low center of gravity kit on it if its worth the $ time and trouble to do... Any recomendations would help. Im going to leave it brushed for now till he has a bit more experience then Ill turn him loose with a brushless motor and see how he does.
    I tossed the stock can motor, it was pretty worn out and low on torque/speed and I replaced it with a 15T Speed Gems brushed motor I had laying around barely used. And WOW what a difference! It was like driving a different beast! It was breaking the tires loose with no problem and tons more acceleration! I cant wait to let my son take this thing for a drive tomorrow after school!
    Pics coming soon!

#1 ScaleBasher, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. badmonkey269

badmonkey269 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i had and raced a 2wd slash i can try and help you with some upgrades that you should do to make it tougher and handle a bit better.i would go with these parts i had them on mine:aluminum caster & steering blocks (part#3632,3636A) rpm lower arms,aluminum stub axle carriers (part#3652) aluminum turnbuckles & steering links i don't have part numbers for them traxxas site would have them.and i would go with the proline powerstroke shocks over the traxxas big bore ones. just cause they are a bit cheaper then the traxxas ones. and to me i think they are a better all around shock anyways. hope this helps ya some. :)

3. EvaderKMP

EvaderKMP Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Cool that this is here...i'm getting a used slash vxl, and will be doing upgrades as well...mine will be basher & racer. I think though that pro 2 kit would be best if your exclusivly racing. Subbing this thread though!

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

4. Moose

Moose Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Here is a link to my rebuild/upgrade http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/short-course/15825-my-slash-2wd-rebuild-upgrade.html I'm going to try my hand at racing thats why I went with the proline kit. But monkey is right go with the RPM items its fairly inexpensive, tough, and RPM stands behind there products. I rebuilt by stock shocks for about $20 with a bottle of oil. I bought a lot of my small Traxxas parts from my LHS but ordered a majority of my parts from RC Parts, RC Spare Parts, RC Car Parts | ToadzRC get place fast shipping and best price I have found on Slash parts.

As far as a LCG kit This weekend I should be putting my STRC LCG kit on my truck. you will have to buy the kit $39 and other traxxas parts to complete the conversion but it is still cheaper than other LCG chassis kits.

ST Racing Concepts Low CG Conversion Kit for Traxxas Slash 2WD. #ST5822GM
    Traxxas parts required to complete conversion(not included):
    TRA3722A Lower Chassis for Rustler $11
    TRA3723A Upper Chassis for Rustler $4
    TRA3727A Battery hold down plate $2

those are all prices from RC Parts, RC Spare Parts, RC Car Parts | ToadzRC

here is a link to the installation pdf for this kit. pdf

5. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks guys Im ordering most of my parts that I cant get at the local hobby shops from ebay or tower hobbies cuz its close to me. Im already subbed to your rebuild Moose you were my inspiration and was kinda seeing how you were doing yours cuz you know your stuff on RC and Im still a novice on some things.
    As for the shock while I respect the Proline shocks they are great I am wanting to try out the G Made piggy back shocks with the adjustment screw. They look wicked and It would be nice to be able to make a quick adjustment now and then without having to take the shock apart or anything just a quick turn changes how it handles. I must try it lol!
    So heres the update for today!

Tossed in the 15T and 2S Lipo last night and drove it around a little and today I took it to show off to a friend who went out right after work and bought the ECX Circuit rtr at the hobby shop for $85. While letting him run it i noticed the right front kinda slow in reaction and movement so i picked it up and found a crack in the bulkhead. No big deal finished out the pack and dug out my spare when I got home and found the pin that goes through there bent about 10 degrees OUCH so I just straightened it out cleaned it up with sandpaper and put it back in. I then moved to the back end pulled out the diff packed it up with bearing grease. And started soldering in Deans Ultra plugs for the motor and the battery that came with it. Also swapped the 90T Spur gear for the 86T Spur gear I have in my parts bin. I think after all that I need a cig break. lol wanted to update first though. It rained here all day so after I finish soldering Im gonna take it out and find some mud to test drive it in. Thanks for all the advice and part numbers Ill be putting them to good use probably in the next couple of pay days pics coming soon darn phone is missing and I bought an RC instead of replacing it... hmm how addicted am I?! LMAO! On the bright side you cant call me to come over for an intervention from rc cars lmfao!

6. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

I gotta go pick up my other slash chassis its in storage at a friends house I have all the upgrade parts already on it also my EZRun brushless ESC is on that chassis lmao!

7. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks I do appreciate the complement. I know I had to buy a new bulkhead for my Slash and new hinge pins. Cheap fix though I think it was $9 for both the pin set and bulkhead at my LHS. Oh and as far as my diff I just filled it with Marine grease and it seems to be running fine.

#7 Moose, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  8. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

yea mine got packed up with bearing grease for semi trucks last night I didnt get the soldering done so Ill be doing the rest of it tonight after work. after I get that done Ill let you know how that freeby did lol Also forgot to mention that my motor was getting very hot so I took it apart and found 2 shims stuck to the magnet inside the motor thatll teach me to not store it in a ziploc bag! lmao so i took the motor apart tossed in new brushes after cleaning it and broke the motor back in again runs great now cant wait to see this thing rippin up some construction sites!

9. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

Ok so I had to buy a new sodering iron got it all put back together and it was running better than ever then the motor got hot enough to soften the solder on the motor and the wires popped off. On the bright side I stiffened up the shocks and it helped the handling ALOT! Also made jumping alot more fun instead of the automatic bottoming out up front then a nose dive. Alas I dont think I can keep running the 2S with this motor it just cannot handle it.

10. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

If it is a heat issue change the gear ratio, should keep the temps down a little. switch out the pinion gear and run it for about ten min and check temps then change again if too hot still. Find out what works better for your temps.

What gearing do you have right now?

#10 Moose, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  11. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

Right now its 19t pinion and 86t spur... previously it was a 90T pinion. Im not super concerned with the heat issue I get paid again on the 1st and Im thinking to go ahead and go brushless and hope my son doesnt damage anyones trailers with it lmao!

12. EvaderKMP

ELiTE MEMBER

90 tooth pinion sounds kinda much... :)

13. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

Lol oops was supposed to say Spur. The esc is actually staying pretty cool its an XL5 and Im using a 2S Lipo and Speed Gems 15T brushed motor the motor is about 4 years old but was only used for about 1 hour then taken off and tossed in the parts box when my brushless setup arrived. I wasnt going to go brushless with this truck at first because its for my 11 year old son. But dealing with this heat issue is making me really consider just buying a cheap brushless motor/esc and tossing it in there.

Also could the heat issue be caused in part by my heavy throttle finger and lack of traction. lol cuz yea ive been drifting it and drivin it like its stolen.

14. EvaderKMP

ELiTE MEMBER

Thats the fun part though! When I drove my Evader DT thats all it was for me...full throttle, tire spinning dirt throwing fun!

15. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

Drive it like you stole it! That's what bashing is all about. I'm running a 18/86 on my slash and it stays in the warm range but not hot, yet again its not full throttle the whole time. :psychotic:

16. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

Im starting to wonder if 2S lipo is just too much for these old motors the Speed Gem is shot :secret laugh: and barely turns even using channel locks lmao! so I tossed in my 27t stockstar motor also brushed plugged in the 2S and a few minutes later hot and smoking motor and I wasnt even getting on it much. so right now Im charging up the 3800 NIMH battery to see if the problem persists. Im not upset about it just kinda baffled since this is the first time I have put a lipo in a setup with a brushed motor. On the first Im definitely gonna have to buy a new brushless setup.

17. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

really does sound like gearing is too high......

gearing to high = hot motor
    gearing to low = hot esc

18. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

ok just tested it with the NIMH battery and it still got pretty hot fast. so I geuss I need to take the tranny apart and see if removing the bearing grease will fix the issue.

19. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

OH OH OH!!! yeah for sure!!!! one bad bearing could REALLY make a problem!!!
    bent drive line, drive shaft, wonky spur, bad bearings, wheel rubbing.....

20. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

Did you put the grease in the whole transmission or just the diff? I know I have grease in my diff only and a light coat of white lithium grease on the external diff gear. I'm running brushless and that might make a difference in heat not sure.

If you want to look into cheap brushless motors you could check out hobbyking and hobbypartz. I know they have brushless motors starting at about $30.