1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traxxas Slash 2wd needing to rebuild/upgrade!

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by ScaleBasher, Oct 16, 2012.

1. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Yea I only put the grease in the diff Im gonna tear into it tonight and replace the bearings and take most of the grease out of the diff. Im considering buying this HobbyWing eZRun-35A Brushless ESC for 1/10 Car (Version 2.0)its the same esc that came with my brushless motor I want to try a higher amp esc but I dont want to burn out the motor. lol

2. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

Well after taking the grease out of the diff I tossed my 27 turn motor in it just to see what it would do and ran just fine several times tossed a lipo on it and ran it around for 3-4 minutes and the motor was throwing more smoke than my cig hahaha So Im thinking that the older brushed motors just cannot handle a lipo. Its ok though my local hobby shop is having a black friday sale so Im gonna go see what kind of deals they have for a brushless esc and i know theyre doing big discounts on new rtrs and kits! Right now they have about half the traxxas lineup on thier shelves and some mini rcs too! I cant wait!!

As promised pics I just got new tires on it still needs a new body but I figure this body can take a few more beatings before I have to replace it.
    [​IMG]
    These offroad tires are very very hard and barely get any type of traction.
    [​IMG]
    These tires are more for onroad use because thats what I have around me more than dirt. These things are VERY sticky! I cant wait to try these out with the brushless motor and 2S Lipo! Im betting on pulling a wheelie!

3. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

Well slight setback on getting the brushless setup I have to wait till next pay day to get it, but I went ahead and picked up a stock 12T Titan motor for now. And after 3-4 runs Im having a blast with it on 2S Lipo the other motor mustve been pretty worn out it was not able to do anything but a sluggish takeoff lol My son manages to drive a full pack through it without breaking anything and had a blast with it and I ran a pack through it last night after it rained managed to do some drifting around on the blacktop and did some nice level jumps off the speed bumps before it was kicking the tail up or flipping over forward when I tried that at high speeds lmao I put a 22T pinion on it with the 86T spur and Id geuss the speed around 35mph! Not bad for brushed but I love the brute force of brushless lol

4. EvaderKMP

EvaderKMP Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I just recently aquired a slash vxl, but havent run it yet because when i dug into the truck i found that i needed to replace a lot of parts...this vxl had been hopped up with a lot of good parts, but it was suffering from neglect. I am bolting in a lot of the aluminum goodies that came with it, and looking forward to punching the throttle!
    [​IMG]

Since the slash is on the bench though i bolted the vxl system in my evader dt...which has never been brushless...

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

5. Moose

Moose Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Very nice. I had some bent pins on mine too. Easy and cheap fix though. Waiting for it to stop raining long enough to go out and try mine again.

6. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

I finally got the chance to let someone other than my son beat on the slash today at work my friends son ran through 2 full 5000mah packs without any breakage charging up the batteries now to go out and bash it some more.

7. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

Ok so I was wrong there was some breakage but at no fault of me or anyone else! Got the battery charged up turned everything on hit the throttle nothing no sound comes from motor no movement just the blink of the green LED on the esc. So I start checking stuff and when i turn the rear tires the motor makes a funny noise then refused to turn. hmm strange... Digging into it just a bit more and a very small piece of something falls out of the motor into my hand. So I grab the flashlight and look inside the sealed can to find one of the brush arms snapped in half and the brush piece is just floating around inside the motor can. I just bought this motor on the 19th and have only ran it like 5 times! So Im curious if I should call traxxas or the hobby shop OR say hell with it and wait till saturday and spring for the brushless esc.

8. EvaderKMP

ELiTE MEMBER

Thats always a bummer! I had some fun with the Evader Dt with the vxl system in...but the fun ended when it stopped, and just made noise...dig into it to find the pinion had losend up, and the set screw was grinding away the spur gear!

Fortunatly the spur survived without too much damage so I put locktite on the set screw and set the mesh again. Evader is still running strong but the gear is going back on the Slash. I replaced the stock knuckles, and caster blocks with aluminum, and rebuilt the transmission...during the rebuild I found someone had cut out the bottom of the case
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyone run into this issue with the transmission case "warping"

Sent from Sandy's Cafe using Tapatalk 2

9. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

Actually I have an older slash transmition that has the same hole cut into it too. On the newer transmitions they are different insidesorry to be the bearer of bad news but youre better off to buy a newer transmition. Those older ones just cant stand up to the power of brushless.

Update I finally got the money scraped together for the brushless esc. [​IMG] After getting it soldered up and figuring out how to program it... then reprogram it due to not reading the directions properly lol I finally got it working right!! and now all I can say is WOW short 15 minute test run outside and a couple launches inside! I must say so far Im impressed with the Duratrax DE10 Brushless ESC its fairly easy to setup even when doing it manually! I am kinda curious what this 80Amp esc is gonna do to my EZRun 9t brushless motor.

10. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

Test driving complete gearing is just about right lots of speed and acceleration and its not overheating the motor or esc! does great donuts on the pavement and in the yard too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

Well I thought I had all the bugs out of the system and forgot to check for demons lol I snapped one of the metal pins thats inside the trans behind the slipper clutch. Thatll teach me to keep in the throttle when its sliding from ice to pavement lol. Thankfully I was able to get it fixed and running again in less than five minutes thanks to my spare parts transmition! Now to hand the controls over to my son tomorrow.

12. EvaderKMP

ELiTE MEMBER

Its always tons of fun with a slash...but handing it over to a kid is a lot of fun! I got the slash all done, have driven it around a bunch too! Even my daughter has driven it around. She thinks its gonna get her though, and hides behind me...lol she is such a cutie! Had some snow to play with, and built a ramp out of the snow. I would run the truck up the road to get speed n jump the snowbank...
    [​IMG]
    My landings however, are something to be desired...
    [​IMG]

13. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

Looks like youve got a nice cushiony spot to crash after the ramp always good for working on your landings. I have noticed with my sons that if i roll into full throttle just as it peaks the ramp it airs out nice and somewhat level and let off the throttle slowly before it lands usually keeps it landing on the wheels and I can usually drive it away. Thats just what works for the set up. Ive got. Right now its the stock shocks but ive got them set to give the most ride height due to the snow and grass. I also have doubled up on the large shock clips on back and pretty much single large ones on each of the front shocks. Its a nice firm setup for higher jumps and when I lower it all the way down and toss on the street tires it stays pretty stable! Are you running brushless in that beast of yours?

14. EvaderKMP

ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah it is brushless...running an old castle motor while the vxl motor is being rebuilt.

I highly recommend the big bore aluminum shocks! They were already built, and I just had to fill them with the included shock fluid, and install them. Also came with a parts bag of clip on spacers, and shock pistons.
    [​IMG]

15. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

Actually I plan on getting Gmade XD Piggyback Shock 85mm (2) those shocks just gotta wait about 1 month to be able to do it. Its been so cold the last couple days and Im just getting over being sick with the flu I havent taken the truck out for a run since xmas.

16. EvaderKMP

ELiTE MEMBER

Cool! I hope to get those snow tires for my slash after I am done fixing my 2001 buick century...needs dimmer switch n a few extra gadgets...$200 - $300 job.

17. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

As soon as I get my taxes back Im getting new shocks and quite possibly the VXL for my sons slash so he can run it no matter what the weather is.

18. ScaleBasher

ELiTE MEMBER

Well Im rather disappointed in this Duratrax DE10 ESC it seems that it has decided it no longer wants to work.

19. Thorpe991

Thorpe991 New Member

thats how traxxas sends them i got my slash last christmas and mine has the same hole