1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traxxas slash brushed to brushless?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by SINISTER1172, Dec 12, 2015.

1. SINISTER1172

SINISTER1172 Member

I have a 2wd traxxas slash brushed setup.I was thinking about putting a brushless motor in for more speed.I have some questions about the setup and what to do.So I know I need a brushless motor of course and a vxl esc. I also need to know what brushless motor to get(Velenion?). But I dont know about the transmitter setup and if it will work or do I need to change more stuff.Also with a brushless motor can it handle alot of stopping and going or will it overheat.Can the stock gears handle this motor.Id like some help thanks.

2. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    you wont need to change your transmitter, just calibrate the new esc to it, there should be directions on how to do this with your new esc, or you can find them on the net. I used a castle sidewinder 3 sct 4600kv combo on my torment and loved it. it depends on how old it is as to weather you will need to upgrade the trans, the newer slashes come with the brushless ready trans, the 272, but if i remember correctly the older ones need to be upgraded, in which case it would probably be easier to just change the whole trans. you can get the traxxas 272 for about $35 USD on ebay. the last bit you may want to upgrade is your driveshafts, upgrade to some heavyduty ones. im no expert on the slash, all ive told you is either general knowledge or the results of my own gathering of information on the slash when I was still deciding on buying either the slash or the ecx torment.

3. SINISTER1172

SINISTER1172 Member

Thanks,I think my slash is a new one.I got it over the summer.

4. rcnut'14

rcnut'14 certified rc addict
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    then yea, its the new one.

personally, I hate the traxxas vxl systems. you will be much better of with the castle sidewinder or a hobbywing system.

brushless motors wont overheat if geared right. start with stock gearing. if it starts overheating, then decrease the pinion size.

if you don't have lipos, you should get some. brushless systems don't like nimh's.

5. SINISTER1172

SINISTER1172 Member

What do you suggest for lipo batteries.

6. DivineChaos

DivineChaos Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have a velineon system if your interested. Got it for a fdifferent rig. Was too much power for it. It's the vxl3s system.

7. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

for lipos think 3s with 100 amps output or more ... the slash can fit any where from a 4000 mah up to the 6000mah mark the bigger it is the longer it runs .... but also takes longer to charge .
    I also perffer castle over VXL systems but the VXL will haul butt .... it just cannot be fine tuned via a pc link. like the castle or HPI ......ect for bashing and simply having fun it is a decent water proof choice .

8. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

This system geared correctly you can do excess of 50 in a slash.

Fuglio and Y2daT like this.
  9. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

It will run like a scalded dog. Lol. Also if u some how damage the vxl motor or esc . you can send it to Traxxas and get a half price replacement. If you want more speed in the future . a 6s esc like the momba max ...with the venilion motor on 4 s is down right nasty fast.

10. Fuglio

Fuglio Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I was in the same situation. I had a brushless ready traxxas (skully) i decided to go for the castle sidewinder sw3 with motor combo. 4600kv. And 3s lipo. Get ready to upgrade you entire drive train and re enforce your tire bead with extra glue. Also be careful to let off the throttle if the car if upside down cause youll rip your tires to shreds.

Its like night and day a totally different car. When people say the power is insane its not an understatement.

darkside0914 and Y2daT like this.
  11. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

I would get 3 runs on my rear diff. Ripped tires off the beads. Was cork screwing my center driveshaft. It would do 60, unfourtunately it Wasn't very controllable at that speed. It was a cheap 10sc. (bad idea) they don't make better parts for it. So I got a wraith.

12. rcnut'14

rcnut'14 certified rc addict
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    yea, I never suggest running 3s in a mostly stock slash( or anything for that matter lol)

I personally like spc/smc lipos. very good, and very inexpensive.

13. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

I paid 40 bucks for a 3s 5500 mah 30c

rcnut'14 likes this.
  14. Youhan89

Youhan89 New Member

Media:
    If the price for Traxxas original brushless system or equivalent is too pricy you could do something like i did.

I bought a brushless combo from china on ebay for something like $60 followed by a lipo for $40
    I think the lipo is something like 6200mah, 30c 2s.

The batterypack lasts for a rather long time and the car is crazy fast compared to before.

With this said, i'm sure that the Traxxas system will preform even better.

15. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I had that same problem with that combo in my torment, destroyed tires and the stock drive shafts replaced them with HR steel shafts, it would ride wheelies a block long on 2 cell and flip over backward if punched from half throttle to full on 3 cell. but it was a blast to drive till I fried the esc.

Fuglio likes this.
  16. Leo Kavanaugh

Leo Kavanaugh Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I've got the same truck and feel your pain. I have a friend who has a Stampede and upgraded to brushless, he has problems with his driveshafts. If you're gonna upgrade the motor, you'll need steel driveshafts, brushless compatible ESC, and I'd recommend metal tranny gears also.

Fuglio likes this.
  17. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I would pick the ezrun 60amp, people seem to like it, maybe get a 60a ez run and a better motor:) I have a rustler vxl with the vxl-3s system, I put super swampers 2.8"s on it(do not do this) they look sweet but they suck:D the foams are so stiff(blue foams) and they turn the truck into a tank, I had pro-line badlands that lasted a while, excellent tires on all terrain, even worn out they did good too, very grippy, wheelies on nearly any surface, also the 2.8" tsl swampers severely decreased stock speed cuz I had to gear down from 25/83 to 20/83, and its just a stupid truck now, I need to go back to a new stock body, and the stock gearing and badlands 2.8" tires, on 2s that thing was a rocket! It hauled, never ran it on 3s, it did wheelies and went like 40ish mph, it was sweet... Also, steel shafts aren't the solution, the slash 4x4 HD plastic shafts are pretty good, just replace them every once and a while, but I could see the MIP or traxxas steel shafts being a better option... I have wasted so much $$ in this rc hobby, I have so many rc's and the collection and ideas of parts I want to buy is still endless:D The rustler vxl had a great look, until I destroyed the hand painted body that I made: http://s939.photobucket.com/user/Spencer912/media/2014-04-20 21.19.24_zpsaxpticdx.jpg.html?sort=3&o=24

And for the traxxas haters out there, I have broken every single one of my hobby grade rc toys, be it the most expensive ones I have or the cheapest, I broke my ax10 deadbolt, I have broken bicycles before, I have broken lots of stuff, for goodness sake I broke a honda! Yes I did! In general, I have had issues with stuff people said was good or outstanding! Well sometimes

#17 Spence123, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  18. CalebTheRCguy

CalebTheRCguy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Don't get the VXL, it's a terrible value. Get the Castle SV3 system (http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/cse/cs...dFjNqqiPCRn7mOesHnIZfyvumoEgYaArs_8P8HAQ)it's a really great value for what it is, and I think it's faster than the VXL. Also get some lipos, SMC Racing ones are well priced
    (http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=common/home) and get a 3S lipo because the SV3 can handle it. Finally you will need MIP half-shafts (I've broken some on my Stampede) here's a link http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/mob...0AZe8AHLwQnUTOlysFpni59RXRsxJG-SvcaAuyf8P8HAQ
    Btw the tranny comes with metal gears

Happy R/Cing!

19. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    double post

#19 Spence123, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  20. motobuddy2112

motobuddy2112 New Member

If you buy from velenion you can get an esc and a motor