1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traxxas Slash or...what else?

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by ThePumpkinKing, Jan 27, 2016.

1. ThePumpkinKing

ThePumpkinKing Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey Guys

Pretty much sold on the Slash 4X4 VXL and will be buying at the end of next month, but before I do, i wondered if there is anything which rivals it that I should consider?

For me, I need the off-road ability as ideally I'd love the Summit but it lacks speed, but I want speed more so the Slash takes priority.

So...any main rivals? Anything faster with the same off road ability?

Thank you

2. themissingelf

themissingelf New Member

Just wrestled with the exact same dilemma, except I'm not planning to use Lipo (because my use of the car will be highly intermittent and I have a nitro too for bonkers speed).

I fell in love with the Axial Yeti Score and, if I were in the market for Lipo I would most likely have bought it. Apparently it's not as fast as the Slash and parts, whilst available, are not as readily available as the Slash.

Picking up a Slash 4x4 with TSM and on-board audio tomorrow... A bit gimmicky but meh...

3. GrablinGold

GrablinGold Well-Known Member

Media:
    After much deliberation with the same subject i ultimately decided on the slash. I just went down to my LHS today and picked up a fox edition brushless. i haven't run it because its dark.

Ill give a post tommrow after a few runs to tell you how awesome it is (hopefully).

but it does look nice all shiny and perfect, wont be like that for long.

4. ThePumpkinKing

ELiTE MEMBER

Awesome!! That would be great thank you.

What was it that made you ultimately go with the slash?

5. GrablinGold

Media:
    sooo happy! That thing books it! I cant tell you mph wise how fast it goes but its fast, throws dirt and rocks everywhere! The TSM was not part of the reason i bought the model but now that i have tried it i'm glad to have it.

My original thought was to get a brushless ECX torment. i figured if i destroyed it i wouldn't be out that much, but then i found out that parts and upgrades for the slash were pretty widely available, so things breaking wont be too much of a problem. (not to say the torment dosn't have parts available, because it does)

The losi TEN-SECT looks like a good truck , but the name isn't as cool as "slash" ( i can't believe that i made a decision based on a name but.....) it was also more expensive.

Then i want to my LHS and saw the fox edition, and i was sold.

very happy with my decision and i don't regret the purchase

one thing, the slash did not come with a wall charger it came with a dc car charger, which mean't i had to buy one, not a huge deal i was going to buy one anyway. its not like i don't have a car to charge it from but yea, i had to have one in the house.

so i say get a slash, but now im biased because i own one.

hope that helps

ThePumpkinKing likes this.
  6. ThePumpkinKing

ELiTE MEMBER

That's awesome, thanks for getting back to me and letting me know how ur getting on.

Have you been able to use it much?

What batteries are you using?

Still debating over which to buy, waiting to do my last motorbike test in 2 weeks and once done I'll know financially where I stand! Lol

7. GrablinGold

Media:
    i have run through about 6 packs since i have bought it, so far everything is box stock including the battery (3000 mah nimh).

longest jump so far was about 14 ft. i know it will do more but i'm taking it slow. after some rolls and tumbles i have broken the rear bumper a little, but nothing a little epoxy cant fix.

there are a lot of good trucks out there its a hard decision to make.

the yetti score trophy truck looks great, but i would rather have the independent suspension on the slash vs the straight axle on the yetti. ( it has a straight rear axle right?

but what do i know im a noob still

i think you will have fun with any of them really.

8. SoIllRiverRat

SoIllRiverRat New Member

I bought a basic slash 2wd now it's got a sidewinder 3 combo with a 5700kv castle motor low center of gravity chassis and aka city block 3 tires this thing is a beast and still runs 45 mph with a 5000mah 2s lipo and factory gearing

9. SoIllRiverRat

SoIllRiverRat New Member

It out runs my friends slash 2wd vxl on acceleration and top speed

10. GrablinGold

Media:
    That sounds sweet, you should go 3s if your esc can handle it.

11. SoIllRiverRat

SoIllRiverRat New Member

It can but the short courses around southern illinois are all really technical and great for really short bursts of speed but no long straight streches