1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

traxxas titan 550 fit in wraith?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by smyles, Jan 2, 2013.

1. smyles

smyles New Member

does it fit! And any thoughts on the motor itself, good motor?

2. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Im not sure about fit, but if you are still running the stock AE2 ESC it is only rated for a 19t or higher.
    The Titan 550 12 turn wont pull as many amps as say a 540 12t , but I bet it will still be to low of a turn.

3. smyles

smyles New Member

it says its a 21 turn, i did see a 12 turn as well but im sure its a 21. But it says it has 30% longer armature. Do you know what that is?lol

4. wraith44

wraith44 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

have had 2 of those in my one wraith, burnt one out but took quite a bit longer than the stock 20t they do fit with slight modification to the motor plate, you need to make the center hole and the motor mount screw holes a bit longer on the transmission side, or cheat like i did and just throw like a 22 or 23 tooth pinion in it and save your self the trouble, the extra couple teeth move it out just far enough you don't need to modify the motor mount plate, as far as the 30% bigger armature i think all it does is give you more torque, which is the other reason i went with the 23t pinion

#4 wraith44, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  5. smyles

smyles New Member

wow thanks for the detailed response! The only thing i didnt understand was when u said make the holes longer, are u sayin to widen the holes in a particular direction?

6. wraith44

wraith44 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

the slotted holes that the motor screws and the main center bearing part sit in dont go close enough to the transmission for the stock gearing to mesh, so you have to widen or length all 3 so that you can slide the motor towards the transmission more and have the gears mesh, personally i've done both and going to like 22t or 23t pinion is way easier, or i guess you could put a bigger spur gear in but then you might have troubles putting the motor cover on. I'd go with the pinion change because grinding the motor plate holes is a pain in the butt and if you make them to big the motor screws just go right in and dont do anything(learnt that the hard way the first time, good thing ebay has motor plates cheap lol)

7. smyles

smyles New Member

hahaha ya i might jump on the new pinion idea, bigger the pinion the faster she goes?